ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help required

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elvis1
Newly Registered

Help required

Post by elvis1 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:17 pm

What would happen to my Russian wife and son if I was killed in an accident? what I mean is what would be their rights to remain living here in the UK?

Thanks

Andrew

desperado

Re: Help required

Post by desperado » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:28 pm

elvis1 wrote:What would happen to my Russian wife and son if I was killed in an accident? what I mean is what would be their rights to remain living here in the UK?

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew, that is a very good question. I was thinking the same. If the husband is a british citizen and his wife is given 3 yrs dependent visa and what will happen to the wife if the husband dies? Will the wife be allowed to stay in the UK? I would like to hear experts response.

elvis1
Newly Registered

Post by elvis1 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:15 pm

Thanks desperado, I forgot to add the 3 yrs dependent visa part :evil:

Andrew

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:15 pm

Im sure I read somewhere that if the wife + son are on a settlement visa in the probation period of 2 years, in the unlikely event of the spouses death, they get given ILR, I cant remmber where I read it though, I'll try try it out tonight

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:01 pm

bash_h, that is correct, if a person has a settlement visa, and then their sponsor .... spouse, parent or step-parent, or unmarried partner ... dies then it is possible for the holder of a time-limited settlement visa to get ILR.

However I am struggling to find any comparable provision where the "main person" has something like a Work Permit or HSMP. Does anyone else know of such a provision?
John

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:45 am

I definitely heard several times, but cannot offer any official information, that an alien can be granted ILR after probationary period in the event of marriage breakdown as a result of the domestic violence or partner's death. Info on Domestic violence can be found on the IND website but not sure about the one regarding the partner's death.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:11 pm

1. There is provision in the immigration rules for the dependents (spouse and/or children) of a settled person to be granted ILR where the sponsor dies during the probationary period. Likewise there is scope for those suffering domestic violence. Both require submission of appropriate documentation (death certificate, court documents etc) as well as evidence pertaining to subsistence of the relationship upto relevant point.

2. There is no similar provision for dependents of a non settled person. The HO will nominally (at most) allow the dependents to remain in the UK to the expiry date of their LTR on compassionate grounds for them to finalise their affairs. An application for ILR outside the rules may exceptionally be considered on the most compelling of circumstances - e.g. severe destitution within the HRA threshold. The time period to ILR would be a consideration in such a case e.g. WP holder deceased 28 days prior to completion of 4 years on said IED and dependents have likewise been present in the UK under WP dependent LTR. In such circumstances the dependents must not travel outside the UK post the sponsor being deceased until the HO make a decision on the case.

I hope that helps.

elvis1
Newly Registered

Post by elvis1 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks for all of your help guys it is very much appreciated.

Andrew