ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Study Work Visa ( Enterprenuer / Business Allowed?)

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alimohmand

Post Study Work Visa ( Enterprenuer / Business Allowed?)

Post by alimohmand » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 pm

It might have been asked in the past but I am unable to find any answer to the topic.

I have a general enquiry regarding Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa.

My questions is that Can an individual who is on Post Study Work visa
register to start a business as Sole Trader or open a limited company?

Are there any restriction to start business on the above mentioned
immigration category.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Alimohmand,

I belive that you can open a LTD company on a PSW Visa, but as and when you come to change your status to a Tier 1 General or Tier 2 you must prove that you have been econimcally active for at least 6 months before the application which is normally done by payslips and references from employers. Although you may be able to provide supporting documents from the LTD company, I would reccomend using a different solution such as a Umbrella Company, as it would be much easir to prove both earnings and employment.

I will endavour to find a link to the exact guidance for you. Hope that helps :idea:

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi Vanadil,

Thanks for a prompt response, I am still very confused as I have tried to ring HO though as probably every one knows their numbers are busy and you wont get any response.
I have been working for last 6 months and now plan to start my own business but before I go through with all the procedures I would want to confirm if I am eligible to start either as sole trader or limited company.

Any reply with home office reference will be highly appreciated.

Thanks again

email257525
BANNED

Psw business

Post by email257525 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:37 am

Hello,

as far as i know being on PSW, one is allowed to work unlimited hours or open up a business, there is only one ristriction is he/she is not allowed to work as trainee doctor.

you can check at UKBA web site in the conditions of the PSW.....

Can you tell me what does Umbrella company mean please,,,,

I have recently approved and secured PSW for 2 years, can you suggest me any kind of company i can open and run a bit to make preparations for Tier 1 general...

Many thanks and Regards....

alimohmand

Home office reply

Post by alimohmand » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please be advised if you wish to start your own business or open a Limited Company. You are advised to switch into the Points base system that allow you to do this.

You can visit the UK Border Agency website at
www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk for further information.

Yours Sincerely,

XXXXX
Immigration Group
UK Border Agency

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:27 pm

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/union/advice ... scheme.pdf

seems that there is confusion I am trying to find out an authentic link etc will keep you guys updated

Thanks
Ali

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 pm

The rules say:
Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) migrants
245V. Purpose
The purpose of this route is to encourage international graduates who have studied in the UK to stay on and do skilled or highly skilled work.
I do not think it is clear, but to me it implies employment not self employment, which could of course be unskilled such as cleaning.

Contrast this with Tier 1 General:
Tier 1 (General) Migrants
245A. Purpose
This route is for highly skilled migrants who wish to work, or become self-employed in the UK.
Hope this helps (probably not!)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... es/part6a/

alimohmand

all sorted thanks for the help

Post by alimohmand » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Dear Mr Mohmand,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The UK Border Agency is able to confirm that the holder of a Post Study Work Visa is able to work without restriction in the United Kingdom, providing no restrictions stating otherwise are included on the visa, including self-employed and business.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXX
Immigration Group

UK Border Agency

Well good news PSW Candidates can operate as a business / self employed if they need to :)