ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship timeline tracker.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:48 am

Heybabyy wrote:My uncle in INIS told me. :lol: Just kidding.

I read it somewhere in the old website of INIS. But I am pretty sure that it exist. The logic is straightforward -

If you applied for naturalisation then wait for its approval and get a passport.

If you haven't applied bcos you are not interested in being naturalised. But want to continue living here, apply for "Without Condition as to Time Endorsement". This saves the hassle from INIS to renew your GNIB cards etc every 2/5 years.

You can always ring/write INIS and clarify what the exact rule is.
I think this rule only applies if you want to apply for Long Term Residence, which is something completely different from "Without Condition as to Time Endorsement".

Basically, if you apply for Long Term Residence (LTR) and Naturalisation at the same time, they put on hold your LTR application until a decision on your Naturalisation application is reached. If your Naturalisation application is unsuccessful, then they will consider your LTR application.

Remember that LTR also takes 2 years.

I think this is why they introduced "Without Condition as to Time Endorsement". It's a shorter way for people to get leave to remain with a minimum of paperwork, while other applications (LTR or Naturalisation) are being processed.
And I think "without condition as to time endorsement" is quick to process because you have to send your original passport, GNIB card, etc.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:39 pm

LuasPassenger wrote:

I read it somewhere in the old website of INIS. But I am pretty sure that it exist. The logic is straightforward -

If you applied for naturalisation then wait for its approval and get a passport.

If you haven't applied bcos you are not interested in being naturalised. But want to continue living here, apply for "Without Condition as to Time Endorsement". This saves the hassle from INIS to renew your GNIB cards etc every 2/5 years.

I think this rule only applies if you want to apply for Long Term Residence, which is something completely different from "Without Condition as to Time Endorsement".

Basically, if you apply for Long Term Residence (LTR) and Naturalisation at the same time, they put on hold your LTR application until a decision on your Naturalisation application is reached. If your Naturalisation application is unsuccessful, then they will consider your LTR application.

I think this is why they introduced "Without Condition as to Time Endorsement". It's a shorter way for people to get leave to remain with a minimum of paperwork, while other applications (LTR or Naturalisation) are being processed.
And I think "without condition as to time endorsement" is quick to process because you have to send your original passport, GNIB card, etc.
did you see it somewhere in this forum. someone has their LTR granted and then 3 weeks after, the citizenship application approved?

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:34 pm

mktsoi wrote:
LuasPassenger wrote:

did you see it somewhere in this forum. someone has their LTR granted and then 3 weeks after, the citizenship application approved?
Nop... what I saw was somebody applying for "without condition as to time endorsement" and getting this endorsement in 3 weeks. But I can't find this post now....

I think the case you describe (getting LTR granted and citizenship granted 3 weeks later) doesn't really happen. If you apply for LTR and citizenship more or less at the same time, they will put your LTR application on hold until a decision on your citizenship applciation is reached. I assume they do this in case your citizenship application is not successful... If that happens (i.e. your citizenship application is not successful), then they continue processing your LTR application.
On the other hand, if your citizenship application is successful, I assume they just discard your LTR application as you won't need it anymore.

I infer this is what happens from this Parliamentary question from 2-Oct-08:
169. Deputy Willie Penrose asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the position in relation to an application for long-term residency by a person (details supplied) in County Westmeath; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [33119/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The position in relation to granting long term residency is as follows: persons who have been legally resident in the State for over five years on the basis of work permit/work authorisation/work visa conditions may apply to my Department for a five year residency extension. In that context they may also apply to be exempt from employment permit requirements. The dependants of the aforementioned, who have been legally resident in the State for over five years may also apply for long term residency. This particular long term permission does not grant an exemption from employment permit requirements to any such dependants.

Time spent in the State on student conditions cannot be counted towards long term residency. While applications for long term residency are under consideration, the person concerned should ensure that their permission to remain in the State is kept up to date. An application for long term residence from the person referred to by the Deputy was received in December 2006. I understand that applications received in January 2007 are currently being dealt with, however there is also an application for Citizenship from the person referred to by the Deputy which is in the later stages. The application for long term residency is being held until a decision has been made in relation to the Citizenship application.
Source: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.as ... 2212#N2212

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:50 am

LuasPassenger wrote:
mktsoi wrote:
LuasPassenger wrote:

Nop... what I saw was somebody applying for "without condition as to time endorsement" and getting this endorsement in 3 weeks. But I can't find this post now....

I think the case you describe (getting LTR granted and citizenship granted 3 weeks later) doesn't really happen. If you apply for LTR and citizenship more or less at the same time, they will put your LTR application on hold until a decision on your citizenship applciation is reached. I assume they do this in case your citizenship application is not successful... If that happens (i.e. your citizenship application is not successful), then they continue processing your LTR application.
On the other hand, if your citizenship application is successful, I assume they just discard your LTR application as you won't need it anymore.

169. Deputy Willie Penrose asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the position in relation to an application for long-term residency by a person (details supplied) in County Westmeath; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [33119/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The position in relation to granting long term residency is as follows: persons who have been legally resident in the State for over five years on the basis of work permit/work authorisation/work visa conditions may apply to my Department for a five year residency extension. In that context they may also apply to be exempt from employment permit requirements. The dependants of the aforementioned, who have been legally resident in the State for over five years may also apply for long term residency. This particular long term permission does not grant an exemption from employment permit requirements to any such dependants.

Time spent in the State on student conditions cannot be counted towards long term residency. While applications for long term residency are under consideration, the person concerned should ensure that their permission to remain in the State is kept up to date. An application for long term residence from the person referred to by the Deputy was received in December 2006. I understand that applications received in January 2007 are currently being dealt with, however there is also an application for Citizenship from the person referred to by the Deputy which is in the later stages. The application for long term residency is being held until a decision has been made in relation to the Citizenship application.
then i am in big trouble. they gave the LTR approval letter last week. should i be worry because they told me that they are waiting for the garda clearance report for my citizenship application and after they recevied it. they will just forward to the minister officer for decision!

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 am

mktsoi wrote:
LuasPassenger wrote:
mktsoi wrote:
LuasPassenger wrote:

then i am in big trouble. they gave the LTR approval letter last week. should i be worry because they told me that they are waiting for the garda clearance report for my citizenship application and after they recevied it. they will just forward to the minister officer for decision!
Not really. Because they only continue processing your LTR application after the minister has made a negative decision.

In your case, I think they didn't detect there were 2 applications at the same time and they just processed them completely. If you're already at the Garda stage I think it's very likely you'll get an approval. There's no need to worry.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:26 am

Do would anyone knows, when will INIS send names for the minister approval for Jan ?

ib_dublin

Post by ib_dublin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38 am

I was told on 9th-Jan my application sent for Minister's approval.

I will be notified on end of Jan OR Feb with the decision.

nseeker
Newly Registered

Post by nseeker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 am

ib_dublin wrote:I was told on 9th-Jan my application sent for Minister's approval.

I doubt - my application was sent to the Minister in October 2008. Still no reply. That'll be the 4-th month of waiting for the decision already.

On a related note, could some please clarify the following questions:

What documents besides approval letter do you need to bring to court when giving the declaration? Passport? Garda card? Birth cert?

Thanks.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 pm

ib_dublin wrote:I was told on 9th-Jan my application sent for Minister's approval.

thanks

so most likely the list for applicants on Jan been sent already, and now on the new names will go for Feb. list.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 pm

What documents besides approval letter do you need to bring to court when giving the declaration? Passport? Garda card? Birth cert?
you need to bring any valid photo id(either passport or driving license) with you along with the approval letter . Also make sure that you DO NOT fill in Form 7 beforehand. This needs to be filled in front of the court officials.

nseeker
Newly Registered

Post by nseeker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:16 pm

strongbow wrote:

you need to bring any valid photo id(either passport or driving license) with you along with the approval letter . Also make sure that you DO NOT fill in Form 7 beforehand. This needs to be filled in front of the court officials.
Thanks strongbow.

I hope I will get to that stage someday.

yelims

Post by yelims » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 pm

just came across this site

some history

came to ireland '96
permission to remain in '97

applied in '02 and was refused in '05
(for fairly silly reason im not gonna go into)

reapplied in aug '06

got letter in nov '08 asking for wageslips, p21, and bank statements, mailed these at start of '09

hopefully they get this sorted soon ive been in this country for so long the whole process is heart wrenching :( and I do hope im on the last leg of the journey

IrelandHopeful

Post by IrelandHopeful » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Yelims,

Please clarify in a few words the 'the fairly silly reason' why you were refused.

Who knows, you may not be the only person given that same 'silly reason'.

You could learn from others and others too could learn from you. That's the main basis of the forum.

IH

yelims wrote:just came across this site

some history

came to ireland '96
permission to remain in '97

applied in '02 and was refused in '05
(for fairly silly reason im not gonna go into)

reapplied in aug '06

got letter in nov '08 asking for wageslips, p21, and bank statements, mailed these at start of '09

hopefully they get this sorted soon ive been in this country for so long the whole process is heart wrenching :( and I do hope im on the last leg of the journey

yelims

Post by yelims » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:24 pm

IrelandHopeful wrote:Yelims,

Please clarify in a few words the 'the fairly silly reason' why you were refused.

Who knows, you may not be the only person given that same 'silly reason'.

You could learn from others and others too could learn from you. That's the main basis of the forum.

IH
my application was along with my parents who 4 years before applying had one of them back to work start own business grant thingies (they since run few succesfull businesses contributing the community and the taxman)

my application got bundled together with theirs and refused (claiming the dole reason) with no way of appealing of course

it was very unfair as it didnt have much to do with me but what can you do :(

in last decade i went thru 3rd and 4th level education (masters) here in Ireland and worked in a large semi-state company and now own and run own business so i hope they have nothing to complain about this time, I certainly paid enough taxes to pay of alot of their wages since :(

anyways thats my story, im not getting hopes up i was brought crashing down before and after spending a good chunk of my life in ireland it seems very unfair but once again what can you do (as non citizen)

it really hurts thinking about this as i have put so much work in this country and made alot of friends who have a hard time understanding how the whole thing can be so messed up

what they need are the people from Revenue running Dept of Justice :P things would get done in no time

i certainly hope the people in Naturalisation realise that they are playing with peoples lives and hopes, and waiting years to be looked at few papers (hey ill code them an electronic system for free if the want!) is quite stressful

Heybabyy

Ring today morning

Post by Heybabyy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am

Folks,

To all who applied in 2006 and have supplied additional docs in later half of 2008. I would appreciate if we all can ring INIS today/thursday to find out the status of application - Garda check OR Send to minister. These two steps seem to have taken forever.

Did anyone received approval letter this month??

Thanks in advance.

sashasolar

Re: Ring today morning

Post by sashasolar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am

Heybabyy wrote:Folks,

To all who applied in 2006 and have supplied additional docs in later half of 2008. I would appreciate if we all can ring INIS today/thursday to find out the status of application - Garda check OR Send to minister. These two steps seem to have taken forever.

Thanks in advance.
Guys,

If you want to get some meaningful information from this exercise, then apart from asking the status "Garda Checks" or "With Minister", one should ask the date when the Garda check was requested.

In my case: Applied Nov 06, additional docs requested end of Oct 08, Garda check was requested by INIS end of Nov 08. It took them one month between the receipt of my additional docs and request of Garda check. God knows what they were doing with my case during this month (e.g.Social Welfare checks?) This time may vary from case to case.

We are 100% sure that each case should go to Garda and each case should go to the Minister, but are not sure what they do with our cases between the time when we send out additional docs and request of Garda checks, thus the date you sent your docs would be less reliable than the date they've requested Garda checks.

Another thought: cases may be sent to Garda in batches, so it is probable that Garda clearance for everyone in the batch will come back at around same time. Providing, you know you have no criminal records. Garda checks will take longer if you do have criminal records, as in this case Garda would need to request and report information about each conviction on their report, which would take longer.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Update . Phoned this morning for an update. Applied December 2006. Asked for additional documents in Oct 2008 and was told today that everything with my application was in order and was sent to the ministers office on the 13th January, and that I would be hearing from them soon.

ib_dublin

Post by ib_dublin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Mine sent on 9th Jan...

Hopefully we'll have some news soon

another_immigrant

Post by another_immigrant » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks in advance.
I applied in Aug 06 and asked for additional doc.s in Oct 08 and sent them at the end of Oct 08.

My GNIB card was going to expire on Dec 08 and I renewed it before expiry date.

I contacted them for an update on 7th Jan 09. They asked for a copy of my new GNIB card. I posted it on the 8th Jan and received an acknowledgement letter on the 12th.

I rang them today and they said they are waiting for Garda Clearance which was requested on Oct 08!!!! The lady told me it might take between 3 to 6 months possibly towards April! This is really interesting... She said they are asking the Clearance from GNIB in Dublin! if it was the case, they could have seen my GNIB card was renewed back in Dec 08. I think they don't know what they're doing... or just making up stories on the phone...

EBS

Post by EBS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 pm

another_immigrant wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I applied in Aug 06 and asked for additional doc.s in Oct 08 and sent them at the end of Oct 08.

My GNIB card was going to expire on Dec 08 and I renewed it before expiry date.

I contacted them for an update on 7th Jan 09. They asked for a copy of my new GNIB card. I posted it on the 8th Jan and received an acknowledgement letter on the 12th.

I rang them today and they said they are waiting for Garda Clearance which was requested on Oct 08!!!! The lady told me it might take between 3 to 6 months possibly towards April! This is really interesting... She said they are asking the Clearance from GNIB in Dublin! if it was the case, they could have seen my GNIB card was renewed back in Dec 08. I think they don't know what they're doing... or just making up stories on the phone...
Amazing!!!!! if this true, they are requesting Garda Clearance from "Department Downstairs on the ground floor", and i will never believe that it takes 3-6 months, i was right all those applications just on hold. These two offices definetely have ONE computerised systems.

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:28 pm

I rang up this morning, had difficulties in getting the line and then had to hold for over 10 mins. The lady said that they have send the details to Garda on 6th Nov08 and it takes 3 months min to hear back. She also said that they would contact me then.

I feel that they send to Garda in weekly batches and it is Garda not GNIB. GNIB checks whether you are legally resident/renewal stamps etc but Garda verifies if you were involved any public offences.

It would also be interesting to know the timeframe for post Garda process.

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Heybabyy wrote:I rang up this morning, had difficulties in getting the line and then had to hold for over 10 mins. The lady said that they have send the details to Garda on 6th Nov08 and it takes 3 months min to hear back. She also said that they would contact me then.

I feel that they send to Garda in weekly batches and it is Garda not GNIB. GNIB checks whether you are legally resident/renewal stamps etc but Garda verifies if you were involved any public offences.

from 1 month to 2 month.

ib_dublin

Post by ib_dublin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Heybabyy wrote:I rang up this morning, had difficulties in getting the line and then had to hold for over 10 mins. The lady said that they have send the details to Garda on 6th Nov08 and it takes 3 months min to hear back. She also said that they would contact me then.

For me garda verification took 5weeks

ib_dublin

Post by ib_dublin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Anyone gets approval for this month (Jan-2009).

we should start hearing approval for this month now :-)

Dublin1

Post by Dublin1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:08 pm

ib_dublin wrote:Anyone gets approval for this month (Jan-2009).

we should start hearing approval for this month now :-)
do uknow when did they sent names for minster approvals ?