ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passports held?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vickyy
Newly Registered

passports held?

Post by vickyy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:57 pm

someone mentioned in other posts that students whose PSW is refused ho is not giving back their passports ,they are retained ,is it true?? i applied in october havent received anything yet (nt ccl)

Steve_guru
BANNED

Post by Steve_guru » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 pm

passports wil be delivered, its still processing. Actually for anyone to be termed out of this country or any country- the leaver should hold a passport to the country he/she is leaving to.

so dont worry!
Kicking the lawbreakers!!!

vickyy
Newly Registered

Post by vickyy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:34 pm

thanks steve i appreciate.
its been 12 weeks since i applied. one of my friend applied same time in october (nt ccl) his passport expiring on 25th january he hasnt heard anything from ho yet.

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Re: passports held?

Post by Diokpa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:16 pm

vickyy wrote:someone mentioned in other posts that students whose PSW is refused ho is not giving back their passports ,they are retained ,is it true?? i applied in october havent received anything yet (nt ccl)
As long as it isn't CCL or any of the schools that have been blacklisted, then am sure you'll get the passport back with right of appeal IF you get refused. Good Luck.
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown

vickyy
Newly Registered

Post by vickyy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:36 pm

thnks Diokpa and steve , its so confusing sme ppl are giving out wrong info on the forum

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Post by Diokpa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:02 pm

vickyy wrote:thnks Diokpa and steve , its so confusing sme ppl are giving out wrong info on the forum
It is really mind-blowing considering the fact that some are "HO staff", this isn't the best place to get info about issues though esp when you need urgent help 'cos some advice on here can be misleading and their manned helpline aren't even well versed in the law and procedures. If you are at titters end, just make sure you see an Immigration lawyer who has got experience of dealing with UK immigration issues. Good luck.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Section 17 of the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Act 2004 confers on the Secretary of State the power to retain passports and other documents.

The Act reads:

Section 17 Retention of Documents
Where a document comes into the possession of the Secretary of State or an immigration officer in the course of the exercise of an immigration function, the Secretary of State or an immigration officer may retain the document while he suspects that a person to whom the document relates may be liable to removal from the United Kingdom in accordance with a provision of the Immigration Acts,
and retention of the document may facilitate the removal.

Section 17 came into effect on 1 December 2004.
The Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Act 2004 can be viewed at:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/20040019.htm.

I also think it is deplorable that certain people believe they know the law and comment on it when it is plainly obvious that they don't.

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Post by Diokpa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:Section 17 of the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Act 2004 confers on the Secretary of State the power to retain passports and other documents.

The Act reads:

Where a document comes into the possession of the Secretary of State or an immigration officer in the course of the exercise of an immigration function, the Secretary of State or an immigration officer may retain the document while he suspects that a person to whom the document relates may be liable to removal from the United Kingdom in accordance with a provision of the Immigration Acts,

The Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Act 2004 can be viewed at:

I also think it is deplorable that certain people believe they know the law and comment on it when it is plainly obvious that they don't.
Even more deplorable when so-called HO staff do not know what is obtainable and expected of them. If you don't know what happens within the organisation you claim to work for, don't come in here quoting laws which don't depict the actual day to day runnings of the HO. They do not retain passports excepts on grounds similar to those which CCL students find themselves in and the earlier you get that fact right, the better for you. I can't imagine YOU actually represent the HO in court, that's just hilarious!...LOL :lol:

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 am

Frontier Mole wrote:Section 17 of the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Act 2004 confers on the Secretary of State the power to retain passports and other documents.

The Act reads:

We are talking about ground reality not the law. Even if it is the law then I find your HO incompetent enough for not complying with their own policies!

And you can also gauge the incompetency of your HO by the landmark hearing against the retrospective changes they made for HSMP visa extensions..

http://www.hsmpforumltd.com/index.html

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:58 pm

We have managed to get things wrong by a greater degree than even the HSMP case I can assure you :D

No one has said UKBA is a perfect operation run by perfect individuals. If that were the case I would have very little to do and more than likely be out of a job :wink: