ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish marrying bulgarian citizen...

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Emer
Newly Registered

Irish marrying bulgarian citizen...

Post by Emer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi, as an Irish national I am marrying my Bulgarian partner at the end of the summer. Registry office etc has been booked. But what must I do following this to process his application? Is there something he must do in Bulgaria prior to the wedding or afterward? Really appreciate all your help & advice, Cheers

Vikingdub
Newly Registered

Post by Vikingdub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Think you just have to go to the GNIB and register, that is how it worked for friends who married U.S. citizens - could be very stress free or they could regard it as a marriage of convenience so it would be best if you can show proof of a long term relationship. Although he is an EU citizen Bulgarian and Romanian citizens still require work permits, hence the possibility of suspicion of a marriage of convenience.

isceon

Post by isceon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:01 am

nonsens why would an eu citizen marry an irish for convenience.??
What could he gain ?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 am

Vikingdub wrote:Think you just have to go to the GNIB and register, that is how it worked for friends who married U.S. citizens - could be very stress free or they could regard it as a marriage of convenience so it would be best if you can show proof of a long term relationship. Although he is an EU citizen Bulgarian and Romanian citizens still require work permits, hence the possibility of suspicion of a marriage of convenience.
dont forget. All the EU national entitle to live in ireland including romania and bulgaria. may be they need a work permit to work in ireland but certain they do not need a permission to live as long as they post threat to the country or trying to live off public funds.

about the marriage of convenience, you can only say it if the person is non EU national.

Vikingdub
Newly Registered

Post by Vikingdub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:08 am

Citizens of Romania and Bulgaria require a work permit to take up employment in Ireland. Marriage to an Irish citizen would enable him/her to take up employment without a work permit, that would be a reason for a marriage of convenience. If the GNIB decide that the marriage is a marriage of convenience, they can refuse residency as contrary to the common good.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 am

Vikingdub wrote:Citizens of Romania and Bulgaria require a work permit to take up employment in Ireland. Marriage to an Irish citizen would enable him/her to take up employment without a work permit, that would be a reason for a marriage of convenience. If the GNIB decide that the marriage is a marriage of convenience, they can refuse residency as contrary to the common good.
i think GNIB would be more worry about the non EU national instead of the EU national. Romanian and Bulgarian national still have right to live and enter ireland freely. welcome to ireland, the guys work up in GNIB are stupid but i dont think they are that stupid to pick a target more difficult. can you imagine how hard it is to deport a EU national from ireland?

Emer
Newly Registered

Post by Emer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Cheers everyone...So following our marriage ceremony (& yes I can also bring along with me plenty of proof of our long-term relationship) so I just bring our wedding cert, along with pass parts, identity cards, pps numbers etc etc etc Does anyone know generally how long does it take then to process?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:20 pm

although bulgarian nationals (also EU Nationals) require permits, what if the irish spouse and bulgarian popped over to another eu country for a bit and came back to ireland. the irish person would have exercised his rights of freemovement and thus be enitled to have his / her wife over here and thus she/he would be entiled to work without permit, just the same as a non national. would failure to allow a bulgarian in thsi instance work without permit be discriminative? (ala article 14 of the european convention on human rights)

then again if he/she married irish national, as above said, the non irish would probably be granted stamp 4 rights

Emer
Newly Registered

Post by Emer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

What exactly is Stamp 4 Rights?

zafarzafar
BANNED

stamp 4

Post by zafarzafar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi stamp 4 is having the same right of nearly the irish citizen, no work permit needed, no work visa required, stamp 4 holder can get benifits from state and if your spouse stamp 4EU FAM he can travel with most of EU coutries without visa but you should be traveling with him with marriage cert,
cheers
arsalan

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 pm

STAMP NUMBER 4
This person is permitted to remain in Ireland until a specified date.

Main categories of Persons permitted to be in the State

* Non-EEA family member of EEA citizen
* Non-EEA spouse of Irish citizen
* Refugee
* Non-EEA person granted family reunification under the Refugee Act 1996
* Programme refugee
* Non-EEA parent of Irish citizen child where parent was granted permission to remain in the State
* Non-EEA family member of EU citizen where family member qualifies under the European Communities (Free Movement of Persons) (No. 2) Regulations 2006 (S.I 656 of 2006)