ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

getting married in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

la di da
Newly Registered

getting married in UK

Post by la di da » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 am

Hi there!

I found your website, and a lot of informations that I needed, but I do have one question that I am not sure about.
I am Croatian citizen and at this point I am living in UK with my fiancé, based on tourist visa (just for 6 months). Can you tell me, do I qualify for a Certificate of Approval for marriage from Home Office? We would like to get married here, and then I would go in my country to apply for marriage visa.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: getting married in UK

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am

la di da wrote:Hi there!

I found your website, and a lot of informations that I needed, but I do have one question that I am not sure about.
I am Croatian citizen and at this point I am living in UK with my fiancé, based on tourist visa (just for 6 months). Can you tell me, do I qualify for a Certificate of Approval for marriage from Home Office? We would like to get married here, and then I would go in my country to apply for marriage visa.

You can apply but may not have time to act on it if received. CoA is not a visa remember, so if you apply and receive it, it does not extend your visa or confer any LTR, so you must leave the UK before the six months of your tourist visa are up.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

la di da
Newly Registered

Post by la di da » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 am

Wanderer wrote:

You can apply but may not have time to act on it if received. CoA is not a visa remember, so if you apply and receive it, it does not extend your visa or confer any LTR, so you must leave the UK before the six months of your tourist visa are up.

Oh, yes, I do know that. I am planning to come back home, to apply for marriage visa..I just wanted to know, do I have right to get married if I am on tourist visa?! Thanks.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm

la di da wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Oh, yes, I do know that. I am planning to come back home, to apply for marriage visa..I just wanted to know, do I have right to get married if I am on tourist visa?! Thanks.

NO

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:15 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

isceon

Post by isceon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

INSIDER wrote:
la di da wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

NO
Why are u giving wrong informations ?if u don't know don't say anything.
la di do:
Yes you can apply for a coa if you can prove your intended marriage is genuine even on aturist visa or without visa at all.But there is few risks.If you do not have any form of leave in the uk the HO could remove you.But because u have a turist visa u can marry in the uk.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:57 pm

isceon wrote:
INSIDER wrote:
la di da wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

NO
Why are u giving wrong informations ?if u don't know don't say anything.
la di do:
Yes you can apply for a coa if you can prove your intended marriage is genuine even on aturist visa or without visa at all.But there is few risks.If you do not have any form of leave in the uk the HO could remove you.But because u have a turist visa u can marry in the uk.
ISCEON,

I'm sure you've heard the saying that:

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

I suggest you read the following link.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part2/

And in particular pay specific attention to rules 41[x] and 56D[iv].

Then come back here and let us know you have revised your position. :wink:

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:26 am

Human rights issues?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

ObamaBinLaden
Newly Registered

Post by ObamaBinLaden » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:15 am

you have to get a fiance visa to get married in the uk.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:24 am

ObamaBinLaden wrote:you have to get a fiance visa to get married in the uk.
No you don't.

You can marry on a Marriage Visit Visa, or with a CoA on any long-term visa such as student, WP, HSMP etc....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am

La di da...Wanderer with 2796 posts and Obama with 7....you can guess who is right. :roll:
You can marry with a COA.

ObamaBinLaden
Newly Registered

Post by ObamaBinLaden » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:18 pm

Casa wrote:La di da...Wanderer with 2796 posts and Obama with 7....you can guess who is right. :roll:
You can marry with a COA.
i hope your 2000 other posts arent as bad, and careless as this one. i dont know if you can read or not, but he said he was on a 6 month tourist visa. so why would all that other useless info be relevant? thats the problem with the workpermit.com forum. too many people like wanderer and casa misleading people.
people come on here with serious questions, the least you can do is read their question, otherwise, just dont answer it. its that simple.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:36 pm

Following the court judgements, even a visitor may be granted a COA (Important information regarding Certificate of Approval for marriage or civil partnership application > 3. CHANGES TO THE CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL (COA) SCHEME).

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks Vinny for confirming that. That's the problem with us Wanderer...we're right sometimes. We won't hold our breath waiting for an apology then. :roll: