ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstay, but not an Overstay

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Overstay, but not an Overstay

Post by ilr_hopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am

Hi All,

I have a little issue with my visa validity.

During one LTR juncture, my application was delayed due to some reasons, but I managed to apply on the LAST DAY of the visa validity. That being a Saturday, the application reached HO the following Tuesday. I have proof of delivery, etc., to prove my date of posting.

In order to check if HO considered the date of posting, I requested a Subject Access report and to my surprise, I find the date of receipt on the SAR and not the date of posting. Albeit a difference of 3 days, as per HO I've still been living in the country illegally.

I read someplace that HO considers the date of posting and not the date of delivery. Do you reckon I should write back to HO stating my position?

Any experiences/opinions/ideas are kindly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 am

Part 1 - General provisions regarding leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom wrote:34G.For the purposes of these rules, the date on which an application or claim (or a variation in accordance with paragraph 34E) is made is as follows:

(i) where the application form is sent by post, the date of posting
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks Vinny,

I have no doubt in my mind that HO is supposed to consider the date of posting.

However, in my case, the date of posting seems to have been ignored. Do you reckon I present my case to HO and explain as best as I can. I'll be applying for ILR later this year and don't want this to be a cause for concern at that stage.

Thanks in advance.

ajaymitra76

Similar case - please help.

Post by ajaymitra76 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:54 am

Hi,

I need to clarify something regarding ILR.

My first WP was approved on 31st Mar 2004(stamping date) and was upto 10th June 2004

My employer applied for extension and the WP was approved on a letter dated 8th June 2004 and the letter stated that I should get the passport stamped within 6 months. I received the WP letter after 10th June, so I could not get the passport stamped anyways before 10th June.

My extension was stamped on 12th August 2004 upto 31st May 2005.

Currently the rule is that the passport needs to be submitted for FLR(IED) before current leave to remain expires. However in my case the passport was submitted after the current leave to remain expired and I got it stamped. I am not sure that the rule of applying before the current leave to remain expired was in effect then.

I had new 2 more work permits after this with other employers and the stamping was always done before the current leave to remain expired. Currently I am on HSMP which was stamped in Sept 17th 2007.

Will they consider this gap of a little more than 2 months if I apply for ILR on 31st March 2009 ?

Any suggestions/ help will be appreciated greatly.

Regards

Ajay.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:47 am

Ajaymitra

Appreciate if you to use your own thread to post, rather than piggy-back one mine...

Like you, I too want my query answered/replied to and posting to my thread can possibly take the focus off my issue.

Cheers.

ajaymitra76

sorry.

Post by ajaymitra76 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:58 am

sorry.. but could you help pls

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm

ilr_hopeful wrote:However, in my case, the date of posting seems to have been ignored.
They cannot ignore that the date of posting is the date of application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Thought so too...

My SAR says 3rd October 2006 instead of 30 Sept.

Cheers.

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:42 am

They won't have any information on your date of posting. Either date of receipt or date of fee deduction will be on their system. check your acknowledgement letter. you need provide the proof (post office special/recorded delivery receiot clearly showing the address with tracking no). since tracking number is stored on this sytem they will be able to confirm this.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 pm

This whole issue of 2 days' overstay is getting to nag me more than it used to...

Does anyone think this can be an issue? Is it worthwhile to send them a copy of my proof of posting along with some flowers and have them "amend" the application date so it reflects the date of posting instead of the receipt.

If I leave it as it is and the caseworker raises this point, will I be able to explain the situation to her at the time of ILR interview?

Anyone with a first-hand experience of this kind, please can you post your experience?

Thanks in advance.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:07 am

ilr_hopeful, you don't have any problems whatsoever. It wasn't an overstay, as proven by your proof of postage.

Bring the proof of postage with you to the PEO and if queried, show it.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks paulp, I'll pocket my proof of posting and the 10 quid I saved and take my chances at the PEO.

Thanks all for your inputs - very useful indeed.

Cheers.

supercreature

Post by supercreature » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 pm

I remember HO changed the rule of this long ago. Earlier they used to consider that application received date = Application Postage received from Courier. Now they accept the application admittence date = The date when the application payment is successfully though.

This is due to many applications payment get rejected thus application get rejected. That is why HO stress on so much filling the payment section.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 pm

That certainly is a twist in the... tail! So, essentially, I'm back to square 1.

supercreature, the UKBA website still says "date of posting" for postal applications... they can't be following two policies in parallel?

Cheers.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 pm

ilr_hopeful wrote:That certainly is a twist in the... tail! So, essentially, I'm back to square 1.

supercreature, the UKBA website still says "date of posting" for postal applications... they can't be following two policies in parallel?

Cheers.
You are confusing yourself
You do not have an overstay thats the bottom line