ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Carrying money to UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rex

Carrying money to UK

Post by Rex » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:22 pm

Please let me know that can I bring cash to Heathrow London Airport. Is there any limit if currency is US dollars?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:32 pm

Well there is no Exchange Control legislation if that is what you mean.

However trying to deposit a lot of cash in a bank is liable to lead to money laundering implications.
John

abercroft
Newly Registered

Post by abercroft » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:51 pm

I think the limit is 10,000 dollars cash or monetary instruments. (Traveler's checks, personal or cashier's checks, that sort of thing.) More than that and you have to declare it at the airport, and you might have to prove the paper trail as to where it came from and possibly pay tax or duty of some sort. Ask at the airlines. I have seen warnings at the gate and at the border crossing in and out of Canada.
I also know that when you take out more than 10,000 dollars cash from your bank the IRS is notified. Not against the law or anything, but they will have it on record just in case you come under suspicion (sp?) in the future...

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:38 pm

Just a note: it's really dangerous to carry around lots of cash. I came over with just enough to pay for my first month's necessities, and used my credit card for purchases and atm card to get cash when I needed it. I am able to use most atms to get cash when I need it. You will not be able to open a bank account to deposit cash into either, until you can establish your address. This is much more involved than it sounds and will take at least a month, more likely three to six months depending on your living situation.

Rex

Post by Rex » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:43 pm

I am still confused. We are a family of three. And have USD 10k++ in my bank in Pakistan. As there is no e-banking facility I am thinking of taking along cash. Please advice in light of your experience.

Thanks

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:53 pm

Again, I would recommend taking enough cash for the first month or so, and using a debit card to get cash from you home country bank. I suppose if you do not have a debit cad or atm card that you may have no choice, but you should go to your bank and ask what options you have. Traveler's checks would be better than cash as well, as they can usually be replaced if lost of stolen. Carrying around $10K in cash is a really bad idea.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:16 pm

Lynn, I totally agree, carrying thousands of pounds around in cash is not a good idea. Rex OK, bring some cash ... well less than £1000 ... but bring the rest in the form of Travellers Cheques ... demoninated in Sterling would obviously be best.
John