ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS - Should I take the risk?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

IELTS - Should I take the risk?

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi There,

First post, take it easy on me :P

I'm thinking of switching from my existing WP visa to Tier 1 (Genera).

I've actually been in the UK for nearly 5 years now, the first two on a working holiday visa (by the way, reading the home office documents, it seems that I can't claim the first two years that I spent under WHM towards my ILR, someone know if there's a way to get around it, legally?) and the last three on WP. Since the economy is doing badly, I thought its better not to be dependant to my employer and switching to Tier 1 seems like a better alternative.

In terms of points/earnings etc. I don't seem to have any problems, I have been lucky enough to have been in a decent job with the same employer in technology sector for the last 5 years.

The only thing that worries me is the formal English language points awarding mechanism. I see using the self assessment tool that for the degree I have, I get full marks for education, but no marks for English language!

I do have an IELTS degree, where I scored 8.5, but that was taken before I came to the UK, back in early 2004. I also have a TOELF too, where I scored perfect marks-2 :-) Just like IELTS, its more than 2 years old :-/

On pen and paper, it seems that I need to take IELTS again before I apply for switching to Tier 1, however given the fact that I have been working in the UK for the last 5 years in a company whose medium of communication is English (obviously) and do have an IELTS/TOELF with great scores, albeit expired, do I really need to retake the IELTS exam?

Thank you.

dextar

Post by dextar » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:56 pm

I think you have to resit in IELTS as there is no such rule that tells us, how old it should be, but IELTS has its expiry date which is two years. Although, It does not make sence for the people like you, who are already living and working in this country from 5 years but there is no other option. Check this, it may help you http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... hlanguage/
You can say its kind of the same rule HO had in past where they dont accept UK Master or Phd degree as a proof of english language and they accept any other country BachelorDegree equivlant to UK Bachelor degree.

tapindersingh
Mood:
India

Post by tapindersingh » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:54 pm

It will be advisable to resit IELTS. Good luck

dosknyppxpuxtg
Newly Registered

Post by dosknyppxpuxtg » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Dextar,

(Funnily enough, I've just been catching up on the Showtime Drama, Dexter, about a serial killer ;))

I've just come across the caseworker guidance manual for English language:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

The manual makes quite a fuss about the 2 year validity period. From page 2 of the above:

Evidence required
In order to ensure that an applicant meets the English language requirement, caseworkers should be satisfied that:
• the IELTS test report was issued in the last 2 years; and
• the IELTS test report is at Band 6 or above.

However, it does speak about alternatives to IELTS, without mentioning any specific test, a list of which you provided. So, there is a chance I can use my TOEFL test score, besides sending in my IELTS score it seems.

I wish someone here in the board was an actual caseworker, or have been in a similar situation I am in to shed more light into this issue.

Have a nice evening.
dextar wrote:I think you have to resit in IELTS as there is no such rule that tells us, how old it should be, but IELTS has its expiry date which is two years. Although, It does not make sence for the people like you, who are already living and working in this country from 5 years but there is no other option. Check this, it may help you http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... hlanguage/
You can say its kind of the same rule HO had in past where they dont accept UK Master or Phd degree as a proof of english language and they accept any other country BachelorDegree equivlant to UK Bachelor degree.

dextar

Post by dextar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 am

Hi dosknyppxpuxtg,

:) Well, I've checked your posted url. But, unfortunately that file is outdated and it has information about hsmp not tier 1. The reason is, now in tier 1 you have to score 6.5 in IELTS instead of 6.0. If you could find similar kind of information for tier 1 that will be more helful.

dosknyppxpuxtg wrote:Hi Dextar,

(Funnily enough, I've just been catching up on the Showtime Drama, Dexter, about a serial killer ;))

I've just come across the caseworker guidance manual for English language:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

The manual makes quite a fuss about the 2 year validity period. From page 2 of the above:

Evidence required
In order to ensure that an applicant meets the English language requirement, caseworkers should be satisfied that:
• the IELTS test report was issued in the last 2 years; and
• the IELTS test report is at Band 6 or above.

However, it does speak about alternatives to IELTS, without mentioning any specific test, a list of which you provided. So, there is a chance I can use my TOEFL test score, besides sending in my IELTS score it seems.

I wish someone here in the board was an actual caseworker, or have been in a similar situation I am in to shed more light into this issue.

Have a nice evening.