ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting Canada (from visa exempt country)

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tomyam
Newly Registered

Visiting Canada (from visa exempt country)

Post by tomyam » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:26 am

Hi guys. I have a question regarding entering Canada.

I am from visa exempt country (S.Korea). I am planning to visit canada for about 2~3 months this December.

However, I used to stay in Canada as a student (with student visa) from 2004 ~ 2008.

My student visa got expired on August 31 but I stayed in canada till September 30th as an implied status (applied for extension of stay

before visa got expired) However, I had to leave Canada due to my personal reason before I got any replies from immigraion.

I sent immigration office a note that I'm leaving Canada before I got any replies from them and asked them to disregard my applications.

And now I'm planning to visit Canada this December to wind up my belongings, arrange bills and to terminate all the contracts that are

under my name and also to travel around, go skiing in Canada with my college friends (who are canadian)

I've already bought round trip plane ticket, I'll be brining enough funds (around $8000cdn) to support myself, and I have a place

to stay (have a room under my name which is currently subletted to a friend of mine).

Here is my question,
Will I have trouble entering Canada? I'm planning to tell the immigration officer exactly what I said here at the airport, will this cause
any problem? Could any of these reason cause me to get rejected at the airport?
I'm worried since one of my friend said I might get rejected and I've already made up all the plans. . .
I have no records of crime, (never even jay walked), and not planning to study at Canada anymore (not registered at any institutions)
I'm just going there to wind up and enjoy my winter vacation...

what should I say when an agent asks me about my purpose of visit?
should I just say i'm visiting or should i tell them the full story
that i'm coming to wind up my belongings, terminate all the contracts that are under my name..etc etc.
which one do you guys think will be more beneficial to me?
I heard Canadian immigration officers are really strict and asks alot of questions if I don't answer right or satisfy them.
I'm just nervous what if the immigration officers don't believe my story and put me in a difficult situation...cause I've seen
few people getting rejected at the airport cause officer had lots of doubts.
My situation wouldn't be a problem right? will my previous stay with study permit affect my visit as a visitor ? Also, when I was applying for extension, on the "reason for extension" section I wrote that i need extra month to wind up my belongings and stuff but
I actually couldn't do any of those and had to leave (before i got any replies from immigraion office) due to personal reason (grand father passed away and mom had first stage breast cancer) so I'm planning to go back this dec 22, (without study permit)
for few months to wind up everything. will this be any problem?
the more I think about it the more worried I get!! everything is so unclear and it makes me so nervous!

Please help, I'm so frustrated!!! Thanks guys!!!

Dowew
Newly Registered

Post by Dowew » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:08 am

I am not a lawyer or an expert, but it sounds like you have a legitimate reason to come to Canada. Your most simple way to get assistance is to contact the Canadian embassy in South Korea.

http://www.international.gc.ca/missions ... nu-eng.asp

follow that link. it will have phone numbers.