ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship based on mother's passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

decentguy_uk

British citizenship based on mother's passport

Post by decentguy_uk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi All

My father was born in India but his mother was a born in British Colony and currently holds British Passport

My father's father was an Indian citizen and never had british nationality

Do you know if my father can apply for british citizenship under current laws ?

He was born in 1958

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:54 pm

If your Dad is still in India there is no chance of him getting British Citizenship, however if he lives in the UK on a spouse visa via your Mother, he could apply after three years of residence in the UK.
Your Mother also not pass on her Nationality if she is outside the UK>

JAJ
Australia

Re: British citizenship based on mother's passport

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:20 am

decentguy_uk wrote:Hi All

My father was born in India but his mother was a born in British Colony and currently holds British Passport
Which colony? When was she born? If she has a British passport, is it a British citizen or British Overseas citizen passport? If it's a British citizen passport, how did she get British citizenship.

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm

I think Siggy misunderstood my question

My dad is in India but my grandmother (my dad's mother) is currently in UK as British overseas citizen

She was living in birtish colony of Aden (Yemen) and thus she is eligible for british overseas citizenship

ben_scaro

Post by ben_scaro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:16 am

I do not think India permits dual nationality, but in any event, did your father have an Indian passport ?

Ben