ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing De-Facto Partner - Calling those in the know!

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aussie123
Newly Registered

Bringing De-Facto Partner - Calling those in the know!

Post by aussie123 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:58 am

Hi All

I was considering possibly wanting to look for jobs in the UK from Australia, with Tier 2 being one possibility. One question though I have is with respect to de-facto partners. I have a defacto partner here in Australia whom I have sponsored under De-Facto immigration to Australia so I already have substantial evidence of our relationship. If I was granted a work permit I would want to bring her along as a de-facto dependant. Exactly how much evidence is required? I understand the main evidence required is joint bills and accounts, but how many? Do you need one for every single month over the past two years? What if you both moved houses during the last two years - there would enevitably be a slight gap in the evidence with addresses being changed on accounts. I haven't found any information which prescribes exactly how much evidence is required.

Anyone can advise that would be helpful. Thx.

traveller1973
Newly Registered

Post by traveller1973 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:40 pm

If you apply under Tier 2 general then you can also apply to have an unmarried partner join you as a dependent.

In terms of evidence required you will be expected to prove your relationship is akin to marriage and that there is a genuine intention to live together. You should show evidence of cohabitation for the two-year period preceding the date of your application. Any short breaks (up to 6 months) should be backed up by evidence (proof of a work posting for example). Can you back up the gaps you mention?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 pm

See also 13.14 - Unmarried (i.e. opposite sex) and same-sex partners and how they qualify > The parties having been living together in a relationship akin to marriage/civil partnership which has subsisted for two years or more.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

aussie123
Newly Registered

Post by aussie123 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:24 am

traveller1973 wrote:If you apply under Tier 2 general then you can also apply to have an unmarried partner join you as a dependent.

In terms of evidence required you will be expected to prove your relationship is akin to marriage and that there is a genuine intention to live together. You should show evidence of cohabitation for the two-year period preceding the date of your application. Any short breaks (up to 6 months) should be backed up by evidence (proof of a work posting for example). Can you back up the gaps you mention?
There are presently no gaps, but I was wondering if you move house together then this might complicate things as you have to prove you were living together at two different addresses at different times. Do you have to have joint evidence for every single month? I was just reading in another forum you only need 6 documents spread evenly over the two year period which isn't so bad, from 3 different sources. This isn't quite so bad as I sponsored my partner for my present country, Australia and we have accumulated quite a bit of evidence already.

traveller1973
Newly Registered

Post by traveller1973 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 pm

As long as you can show documented proof of your relationship over a 2 year period, you will be OK. Have you a joint account? Have you a doctor's or hospital card showing next of kin as your partner? Life insurance with your named partner?

There is no set number of documents, but surely you can also pull on the Australia visa sponsorship as proof.

All this presuming you get the entry clearance, of course!