ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP to ILR - PEO Croydon success and my experience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dani123
Newly Registered

WP to ILR - PEO Croydon success and my experience

Post by Dani123 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Today I went to PEO Croydon ILR application and got it stamped without any hiccups(2 hours and 6 minutes in total).

First of all - thanks a lot to this forum, which have been very useful in preparing my application for ILR and read other’s experience. And I felt compelled to register myself in the forum and write my experience.

My background:
- Actuarial consultant working for a UK company on work permit
- Arrived to UK in Feb 04
- No company changes; same employer all along
- No long absences-holiday trips and annual vacation. All totalling to 90 days in the last 5 years(What case worker seemed to be interested is any single absence >90days).
-My visa was expiring today (9th Jan, exactly 28 days before I complete 5 years in the UK and eligible for ILR interview appointment!). I had 5 year WP.

Now to share my experience:

- Called about 6 weeks back to get the appointment at PEO Croydon for today (9 Jan) at 10:00). Although I had to call twice as first call centre operator said I am not eligible due to the fact I am 28 days short, but the first operator didn’t understand the 28 days rule (even his supervisor!!). The second operator however was aware and gave me the appointment and very nicely explained the issue. Bottom line is if you are sure you fulfil the criteria please check the forum and BIA website and try again, many of the call centre staff are not properly trained and some are stupid.

- Reached Croydon office around 9 am. I took a train and live just 6 miles from Croydon so no problem. However the car parking is just opposite to the Lunar house - Whitgift NCP car park centre
-Airport style checks which was not a problem
- Same formalities as you would find in other posts here; initial check at the 'reception counter' to validate the appln; I handed over the lady at the counter following docs:

--- Filled-in appl form with photos
--- Employer’s reference letter
--- Payslips (4 months but 3 should be Ok)
--- Bank Statements (4 months but 3 should be Ok)
---P 60’s for last 5 years (is not mandatory though and lady didn’t seem interested in my case or any document except passport in my case!)
--- Life in the UK test pass notification
--- Passport
---An Excel Printout of my absences including number of days and page number of relevant stamp just to save some time in case, the case worker cross checks the stamp but later on I found she was not bothered about stamps at all in my case. However in one of my Friend’s case last month the case worker cross checked the stamp dates so I was prepared.

(I had put yellow sticky notes saying what document it is (For example Employer’s letter etc) on each document above clearly sign posted and the lady just checked the sticky notes and not the actual document itself.)

- She checked those and stamped VALID in my appln and issued the appointment letter with a calling ref number and some document saying Employment detail sheet( I don’t know what that was as she put the date 09/01/2009 on this as it was a WP to ILR I think).

- Then payment at the counter. Most of the counters were empty but got busier after 40-45 minutes. I paid by Credit card and she gave me the card receipt and stapled the actual HO receipt to the forms and took out the payment detail page out of the form. Please remember to collect the HO receipt if you want a refund from your company.

- I was called for the 'interview' around 09:45ish by a lady
- Almost same kind of check as happened at the reception counter; but this time in detail
- As each document was clearly signposted she knew exactly what she is looking at.
- To my great surprise she had a cursory look at the documents and didn’t even seem to read the Employer’s letter or any supporting documents. (one of the reason might be that my application was straightforward as I am with the same employer for 5 years, no long absences (90 days in total). She did ask about this and seemed quite relaxed once she knew this. I must confess however that I am not sure why I was not asked any question.

- She then said everything is fine and she is ready to grant me ILR as all the documentation is done well. She didn’t refer to her senior just some colleagues bout certain IT/System question.
-This was 10.10 ish (about 25-30 minutes) and she said I can collect my stamped passport in 1.5 hours. She took the photocopy of my original document and returned all the originals.
-Also she took only one photograph and returned the other photograph.

- I waited there. ILR stamped passport was returned in 25-30 mins time. I left the building at 11.06 am so total 2hours and 6 minutes.

Points to note from my experience:
- Absences if any for 3 months or more may warrant some attention and the case worker will/may need a letter from employer.
-Don’t worry if you have the right documentation and you have done your home work. I for example was prepared for any documents and had everything for last 2-3 years. I had a file full of documents but gave exactly what was in the SET(O) form as above. Only extra I gave was P60. ( Easier said than done as I was also worried in case I get any finicky/skeptical /unprofessional/stupid case worker).

- Otherwise it was a straight-forward appln and it went smoothly

To sum it up - ILR is an administrative burden on us in search of better life, benefit etc but in 10-15 years I am sure we will realise our children may not need to settle here as our motherland will catch up with UK as UK is going down and other countries are going up (in terms of economic indicators- I am an economist in case you are wondering!). In my case the only motivation for me for ILR and eventually UK Passport is that I can travel more than 100 countries without needing a visa.

So take it easy and all the best to you all for your applications.

Thanks,

SS

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Many congratulations to you.

Can you please tell what date in FEB04 you entered UK. This is just to calculate exact 28 days in my case.

Thanks

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info.
I noticed the following note in the SET(O) form (the one used by an applicant on HSMP):
"Applications as a businessperson, innovator, investor, self-employed lawyer, Tier 1 migrant or Tier 2 migrant may not be made in person but, as well as being made by post, they may be delivered by courier"

Does this mean someone on HSMP also cannot apply for ILR in person. Or does it strictly apply onto to Tier 1 applicants?

Markie

Re: WP to ILR - PEO Croydon success and my experience

Post by Markie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:13 am

congrats. thank you for sharing this.

Dani123 wrote:Today I went to PEO Croydon ILR application and got it stamped without any hiccups(2 hours and 6 minutes in total).

First of all - thanks a lot to this forum, which have been very useful in preparing my application for ILR and read other’s experience. And I felt compelled to register myself in the forum and write my experience.

My background:
- Actuarial consultant working for a UK company on work permit
- Arrived to UK in Feb 04
- No company changes; same employer all along
- No long absences-holiday trips and annual vacation. All totalling to 90 days in the last 5 years(What case worker seemed to be interested is any single absence >90days).
-My visa was expiring today (9th Jan, exactly 28 days before I complete 5 years in the UK and eligible for ILR interview appointment!). I had 5 year WP.

Now to share my experience:

- Called about 6 weeks back to get the appointment at PEO Croydon for today (9 Jan) at 10:00). Although I had to call twice as first call centre operator said I am not eligible due to the fact I am 28 days short, but the first operator didn’t understand the 28 days rule (even his supervisor!!). The second operator however was aware and gave me the appointment and very nicely explained the issue. Bottom line is if you are sure you fulfil the criteria please check the forum and BIA website and try again, many of the call centre staff are not properly trained and some are stupid.

- Reached Croydon office around 9 am. I took a train and live just 6 miles from Croydon so no problem. However the car parking is just opposite to the Lunar house - Whitgift NCP car park centre
-Airport style checks which was not a problem
- Same formalities as you would find in other posts here; initial check at the 'reception counter' to validate the appln; I handed over the lady at the counter following docs:

--- Filled-in appl form with photos
--- Employer’s reference letter
--- Payslips (4 months but 3 should be Ok)
--- Bank Statements (4 months but 3 should be Ok)
---P 60’s for last 5 years (is not mandatory though and lady didn’t seem interested in my case or any document except passport in my case!)
--- Life in the UK test pass notification
--- Passport
---An Excel Printout of my absences including number of days and page number of relevant stamp just to save some time in case, the case worker cross checks the stamp but later on I found she was not bothered about stamps at all in my case. However in one of my Friend’s case last month the case worker cross checked the stamp dates so I was prepared.

(I had put yellow sticky notes saying what document it is (For example Employer’s letter etc) on each document above clearly sign posted and the lady just checked the sticky notes and not the actual document itself.)

- She checked those and stamped VALID in my appln and issued the appointment letter with a calling ref number and some document saying Employment detail sheet( I don’t know what that was as she put the date 09/01/2009 on this as it was a WP to ILR I think).

- Then payment at the counter. Most of the counters were empty but got busier after 40-45 minutes. I paid by Credit card and she gave me the card receipt and stapled the actual HO receipt to the forms and took out the payment detail page out of the form. Please remember to collect the HO receipt if you want a refund from your company.

- I was called for the 'interview' around 09:45ish by a lady
- Almost same kind of check as happened at the reception counter; but this time in detail
- As each document was clearly signposted she knew exactly what she is looking at.
- To my great surprise she had a cursory look at the documents and didn’t even seem to read the Employer’s letter or any supporting documents. (one of the reason might be that my application was straightforward as I am with the same employer for 5 years, no long absences (90 days in total). She did ask about this and seemed quite relaxed once she knew this. I must confess however that I am not sure why I was not asked any question.

- She then said everything is fine and she is ready to grant me ILR as all the documentation is done well. She didn’t refer to her senior just some colleagues bout certain IT/System question.
-This was 10.10 ish (about 25-30 minutes) and she said I can collect my stamped passport in 1.5 hours. She took the photocopy of my original document and returned all the originals.
-Also she took only one photograph and returned the other photograph.

- I waited there. ILR stamped passport was returned in 25-30 mins time. I left the building at 11.06 am so total 2hours and 6 minutes.

Points to note from my experience:
- Absences if any for 3 months or more may warrant some attention and the case worker will/may need a letter from employer.
-Don’t worry if you have the right documentation and you have done your home work. I for example was prepared for any documents and had everything for last 2-3 years. I had a file full of documents but gave exactly what was in the SET(O) form as above. Only extra I gave was P60. ( Easier said than done as I was also worried in case I get any finicky/skeptical /unprofessional/stupid case worker).

- Otherwise it was a straight-forward appln and it went smoothly

To sum it up - ILR is an administrative burden on us in search of better life, benefit etc but in 10-15 years I am sure we will realise our children may not need to settle here as our motherland will catch up with UK as UK is going down and other countries are going up (in terms of economic indicators- I am an economist in case you are wondering!). In my case the only motivation for me for ILR and eventually UK Passport is that I can travel more than 100 countries without needing a visa.

So take it easy and all the best to you all for your applications.

Thanks,

SS

Dani123
Newly Registered

Post by Dani123 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:49 am

[quote="valsad"]Many congratulations to you.

Can you please tell what date in FEB04 you entered UK. This is just to calculate exact 28 days in my case.

Thanks[/quote]

I entered on 6th Feb 2004 and my visa/Entry clearance issued at 09/01/2004, so exactly 28 days. If I would have entered on 7th Feb I would have to apply for another WP extension or Tier 1 and then apply for ILR.

Dani123
Newly Registered

Post by Dani123 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:56 am

[quote="global gypsy"]Thanks for the info.
I noticed the following note in the SET(O) form (the one used by an applicant on HSMP):
"[b]Applications as a businessperson, innovator, investor, self-employed lawyer, Tier 1 migrant or Tier 2 migrant may not be made in person but, as well as being made by post, they may be delivered by courier[/b]"

Does this mean someone on HSMP also cannot apply for ILR in person. Or does it strictly apply onto to Tier 1 applicants?[/quote]

This is very confusing statement made in SET(O). All the above categories listed including Tier 1 and HSMP can apply for ILR in Person at PEO. What the above statement in SET(O) means that you can't apply for Tier 1, HSMP or any other category itself in person.
This simply means most of people (definately Tier 1,HSMP ) can apply in person for ILR. This information has been validated by HO when one of my friends called them.

So chill out and most or all of visa category can apply for ILR in person.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Dani123,

Congratulations for your ILR.
I entered on 6th Feb 2004 and my visa/Entry clearance issued at 09/01/2004, so exactly 28 days. If I would have entered on 7th Feb I would have to apply for another WP extension or Tier 1 and then apply for ILR.
I am a bit confused here.
Do you need to be physically in the UK to complete 5 years for ILR.
or does that qualifying period run from the date you were initially granted leave to entry.

In my case, I entered UK after 45 days of my EC issued.
I am on HSMP Going for Tier-1 (Gen) in next 2 months.
Does that mean I would have to get another Tier-1 General extension (for this 28 day rule) towards the end of my Leave?

I reckon, the SET(O), form says, you can apply for ILR, once are within 28 days of qualifying period, which runs from the date your EC was granted
(Does not mention about physically being in UK for 5 Years).

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,
NNJ10

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi NNJ10,

The 5 years qualifying period starts from the day you enter UK and not from the date of issue of EC. You can apply for ILR upto 28 days before completing 5 years physically in UK provided your Leave to remain is not expired. If your leave to remain is expired before reaching within 28 days window, you have to apply for extension and then once finishing 5 years, apply for ILR. Hope this helps.

Are you covered by old HSMP JR, if so as you entered 45 days after your EC was issued, while applying for your Tier 1 it might be worthwile to mention in your covering letter to grant you more than 3 years to avoid any further extension. I am not sure if this is possible so can somebody please share their views.

Thanks
Last edited by valsad on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Dani123 wrote:I entered on 6th Feb 2004 and my visa/Entry clearance issued at 09/01/2004, so exactly 28 days. If I would have entered on 7th Feb I would have to apply for another WP extension or Tier 1 and then apply for ILR.
Very thanks Dani123, based on your dates I am now sure about my earliest date to apply for ILR in person

test001
Newly Registered

Post by test001 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Dani,
Very informative Post.
Just a question - did you have further leave to remain after the 9th. If not then what fall back plan you had in mind if your ILR gets rejected for whatsoever reason or you fail to make in time for the appointment.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Valsad,

Thanks for your reply.
Can you please point me to any link/document on UKBA or Home Office website, which says that 5 Year qualifying period starts from the date of entry in UK?

Thank You,
NNJ10

test001
Newly Registered

Post by test001 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi NNJ10

Go to the URL - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... to1108.pdf

go to page number 3

5 WHEN TO APPLY
You and any dependants who are applying with you
should apply before the end of your/their permitted stay
in the UK. There is a qualifying period to complete in
most of the categories on this form. That period runs
from the date on which you were granted leave to enter
or remain in this capacity. Please do not apply more
than 28 days before completing that qualifying period.
If you apply earlier than that, your application may be
refused. If that happens, we will not refund the fee and
you will have to pay again when reapplying.

It says clearly that the period runs from the date on which you were granted leave to enter. Leave to enter is granted on the date you come into the UK not the day your Visa starts from.

Hope this helps.

What is your situation?

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:51 am

Hi Test001,

Thanks for your response.
Personally in my Case, I am here on HSMP for past nearly 2 years.
I entered UK on 45th day of EC stamped on my passport.
I am going for HSMP --> Tier 1 (General) soon.
I hope to fulfill all absence requirement for settlement

Assuming, I will be granted my Tier-1 (Gen) (for 3 years),
as per above understanding (in your post) I would have to apply a further extension of leave under Tier-1 (Gen), for 17 days?
17 Days = 45 (as above) - 28 (Days one can apply in advance before completing qualifying period as per guidance).

In this case, as I am yet to apply for my extension (of HSMP) under Tier-1 (General), can I ask UKBA, to grant me further leave for 3 Years and 45 days (until i reach the above qualifying period for settlement)?

Thanks,
NNJ10

Dani123
Newly Registered

Post by Dani123 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 am

[quote="test001"]Hi Dani,
Very informative Post.
Just a question - did you have further leave to remain after the 9th. If not then what fall back plan you had in mind if your ILR gets rejected for whatsoever reason or you fail to make in time for the appointment.[/quote]
My answer:
I didn't have the FLR after the 9th.So I had already applied for Tier1 for a back up plan but had passport to support my ILR application. Otherwise if you have a situation like me i.e visa expiring the same day as ILR interview, you can post your Tier 1 application the same day( by Royal mail,registered not courier) if your ILR is rejected so that your immigration status continues.

test001
Newly Registered

Post by test001 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Test001,

Thanks for your response.
Personally in my Case, I am here on HSMP for past nearly 2 years.
I entered UK on 45th day of EC stamped on my passport.
I am going for HSMP --> Tier 1 (General) soon.
I hope to fulfill all absence requirement for settlement

Assuming, I will be granted my Tier-1 (Gen) (for 3 years),
as per above understanding (in your post) I would have to apply a further extension of leave under Tier-1 (Gen), for 17 days?
17 Days = 45 (as above) - 28 (Days one can apply in advance before completing qualifying period as per guidance).

In this case, as I am yet to apply for my extension (of HSMP) under Tier-1 (General), can I ask UKBA, to grant me further leave for 3 Years and 45 days (until i reach the above qualifying period for settlement)?

Thanks,
NNJ10
Hi NNJ10
I don't think you can ask them to give you a EC for 3 years + 45 days though not too sure on it. I think you will have to appply for a another extension after 3 years. Hopefully the rules don't change again!!

munisa

Post by munisa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 am

Hi NNJ10 and the rest of you applying for TIER1,

I thoght I better share my experience here about TIER1 to help those about to apply (in country from WP). I enetered UK on 24/6/04 on a WP that expires on 23/6/09. I have been with same employer but I have gone through hell in their hands... I only perseveer till I get my ILR.

Nov 08 I decided to shift to TIER 1 to enable me look 4 a job with a differenet employer without necesarily going back to my home country to seek re-entry clearance (WP are job and employer specific). ALL my documents were in order but 2 (TWO) days in october my bank account fell below £800. Based on that the application was refused. My advice to anyone applying on TIER1...make sure you have funds in the account and in NO ANY day in the last 3 months (excluding the month you apply) did you have even a single line in the statement showing the balance went below the requirement. They refused my application and £750 non refundable.
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

psychrai
Newly Registered

Post by psychrai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:42 am

Hello

Reading through the forum, could not find the limitations on the ILR.
Are there any?
How long can one be on an ILR?
Can one work in the country of birth (Not UK) whilst having an ILR?

Any info is appreciated.

Regards

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:08 pm

While having ILR you will still need a valid visa to travel to other EU contries.

While having ILR you can stay and work in UK without any time/immigration restrictions.

You can stay and work in your country of birth while having ILR, but any stay out of UK for a continuous period of more than 2 years can/will validate your ILR .

psychrai
Newly Registered

Post by psychrai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 pm

dnicky wrote:While having ILR you will still need a valid visa to travel to other EU contries.

While having ILR you can stay and work in UK without any time/immigration restrictions.

You can stay and work in your country of birth while having ILR, but any stay out of UK for a continuous period of more than 2 years can/will validate your ILR .
thank you for your reply. did you mean invalidate ILR if stay more than 2 years in another country?

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 am

Yes, that was a typo. I meant can/will invalidate your ILR if you stay out of UK for a continuous period of over 2 years.

schindler

Post by schindler » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Dani123 wrote:
test001 wrote:Hi Dani,
Very informative Post.
Just a question - did you have further leave to remain after the 9th. If not then what fall back plan you had in mind if your ILR gets rejected for whatsoever reason or you fail to make in time for the appointment.
My answer:
I didn't have the FLR after the 9th.So I had already applied for Tier1 for a back up plan but had passport to support my ILR application. Otherwise if you have a situation like me i.e visa expiring the same day as ILR interview, you can post your Tier 1 application the same day( by Royal mail,registered not courier) if your ILR is rejected so that your immigration status continues.
Congratulations Dani.Can I ask a small doubt.I was on a WP for a year in 2006(Jan2006 to Jan2007) after its expiry(6 weeks),i got HSMP and was back in the UK.
Will this visa gap hamper my chances of including 2006 as my start date for ILR?.I have'nt found anything in the SET(O) or the guidance notes to that effect.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Dani, Thanks for shring your experience with us And congratulations for the success.
I will be elligible for ILR in Aug 09 and planning to go for it.
My current contract is till March 09 end and after that i will have to search a job. In the current scenario you know how difficult it is to get a job. Not sure if i will get any job in next couple of months.
My question is - I have a job till Mar end but not sure about Apr / May / Jun / Jul...If i dont have job for 4 months or so, will i still be elligible for ILR? I can survuve in the country with some of my savings and apply sometime in Aug. Please suggest.
Thanks

Dani123
Newly Registered

Post by Dani123 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi IndianUK

I think if you have HSMP then you just have to show that you are economically active then you should not have a problem.But if you have WP then obviously you would have to go back to your home country.If you have WP then you can apply for Tier 1 and then you can apply for ILR in August. Alternatively you should try to continue your contract and request your employer to extend it.I think it's 3 month absense which you can afford for your continuous eligible period.
All the best.

indianuk

Post by indianuk » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks for the post Dani...I was on a WP for last 4 years, but now i have got HSMP valid for 3 years...My employer is not ready to extend my contract at the moment...and the market is not good outside as well. so very difficult to get a new one...My employer has asked me to go back by March end...and i think worst scenario would be that i will not have a job from March till i become elligible for ILR...around 3 months...I have enough funds in my account to support myself...But if i dont have a job, am i still elligible for ILR...i am ready to stay in the country till i become elligible...please suggest...

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:23 pm

indianuk wrote:Thanks for the post Dani...I was on a WP for last 4 years, but now i have got HSMP valid for 3 years...My employer is not ready to extend my contract at the moment...and the market is not good outside as well. so very difficult to get a new one...My employer has asked me to go back by March end...and i think worst scenario would be that i will not have a job from March till i become elligible for ILR...around 3 months...I have enough funds in my account to support myself...But if i dont have a job, am i still elligible for ILR...i am ready to stay in the country till i become elligible...please suggest...
the start to look for a new job, if you find it, then tell your employer and see if he will extend the contract if not then go to new job