ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bank contacted by Home Office

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UCLgrad
Newly Registered

Bank contacted by Home Office

Post by UCLgrad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi,

I applied for the PSW on 29 December and received confirmation that the Home Office received the application on 30 December. I assumed it would be straightforward (I obtained an MA from UCL so there is no question about the qualification) and was expecting to receive my passport in the post this week.

This morning, however, I heard from my parents that my bank in the States - from which account I was showing my maintenance balance - need me to give permission to release information as they've been contacted by the Border Agency. They won't open for another hour and a half so I don't yet know what specific information has been requested, but now I'm very worried, as this likely means I won't be receiving my visa this week (I'm scheduled to start a job which requires the visa on Tuesday) and I'm concerned about why they feel the need to verify something with the bank.

I provided original bank statements showing three months' balance up to the date of application, all in accordance with the guidance. The account is in USD and maintains what was equivalent to £800 at the time. Considering the exchange rate has been steadily moving in favour of the dollar, if they do, as I understand, judge overseas accounts by the exchange rate at the moment of application (ie 30 December) the account will have been in excess of £800 at all times.

I realise this may be extremely paranoid, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this or can explain what this may indicate? My major concern (and this is REALLY paranoid) is that on one day in October my balance was £800 according to most exchange rates, but I did find one or two 'historic' rates for that day that converted it as £799.60. Surely the Border Agency will grant a 40p margin when it comes to fluctuating currencies? Can anyone advise on the actual methodology used when determining currency exchanges in the PSW application?

Many thanks!

EliteDuck
BANNED

Post by EliteDuck » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

rurururururururururururururu

my dear UCL fellow, rururururururururururu

dont worry, you will be totally fine, they are just wasting your time

rururururuururururururururu, you will grant you the visa eventually for sure

elitepig
BANNED

Post by elitepig » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:07 pm

EliteDuck wrote:rurururururururururururururu

my dear UCL fellow, rururururururururururu

rururururuururururururururu, you will grant you the visa eventually for sure

popopopopopopopopopo

My Dear UCL Fellow, popopopopopopopopopopo

popopopopopopopopoppopop,you will grant you the visa eventually for sure

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:20 pm

you dont need to worry if your bank statement is genuine.

Yes, UKBA reserves the right to confirm any peace of evidence you have provided with your applicatin. Ofcourse you are meeting the qualification criteria that is why they are doing their verifications. So wait and watch... you should be alright..it is just the matter of time.

UCLgrad
Newly Registered

Post by UCLgrad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

I contacted the bank and was informed they received a faxed copy of my bank statement snapshot (although the last original bank statement was issued within 30 days of the application date, I had the bank print, stamp, and notarise an account snapshot a few days before applying, just for good measure) with a note that basically asked them to verify that they had in fact issued it.

The only slightly odd thing is the fax didn't come from the UKBA as I expected, but from the British Consulate in New York - a bit of a surprise to me as I am applying from within the UK!

I'm fairly convinced this was nothing more than a routine verification, perhaps because my bank is a small, regional organisation in a rural area and so they may never have come across it before. Still, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a similar experience.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:34 am

This is a common procedure.

HO sends the verification data to BHC of the relevant country and sometimes BHC have hired external agencies for the verfication of documents.

ram11
Newly Registered

Post by ram11 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm

UCL Grad,

Kindly let me know when you receive the passport back with visa. HO received my application on 29th of Dec and am still waiting.

Thanks

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Re: Bank contacted by Home Office

Post by Diokpa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm

UCLgrad wrote:Hi,

I applied for the PSW on 29 December and received confirmation that the Home Office received the application on 30 December. I assumed it would be straightforward (I obtained an MA from UCL so there is no question about the qualification) and was expecting to receive my passport in the post this week.

This morning, however, I heard from my parents that my bank in the States - from which account I was showing my maintenance balance - need me to give permission to release information as they've been contacted by the Border Agency. They won't open for another hour and a half so I don't yet know what specific information has been requested, but now I'm very worried, as this likely means I won't be receiving my visa this week (I'm scheduled to start a job which requires the visa on Tuesday) and I'm concerned about why they feel the need to verify something with the bank.

I provided original bank statements showing three months' balance up to the date of application, all in accordance with the guidance. The account is in USD and maintains what was equivalent to £800 at the time. Considering the exchange rate has been steadily moving in favour of the dollar, if they do, as I understand, judge overseas accounts by the exchange rate at the moment of application (ie 30 December) the account will have been in excess of £800 at all times.

I realise this may be extremely paranoid, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this or can explain what this may indicate? My major concern (and this is REALLY paranoid) is that on one day in October my balance was £800 according to most exchange rates, but I did find one or two 'historic' rates for that day that converted it as £799.60. Surely the Border Agency will grant a 40p margin when it comes to fluctuating currencies? Can anyone advise on the actual methodology used when determining currency exchanges in the PSW application?

Many thanks!
I guess this is just routine considering it is a foreign bank account. The exchange rate has been in favour of the $ for the past month or more so I don't think it will be a problem and even a .40p margin wouldn't make them deny you the visa based on 'historic' rates for just one day. All they want to do is verify the bank issued that statement and will prob not be privy to any other information, so relax and just wait for your visa. Good Luck.
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown