ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK visa advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RomanCandle
Newly Registered

UK visa advice

Post by RomanCandle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello

This is my first time on here, but thought it was a wonderful way to share information and be helpful and positive toward one another.

I am an American wanting to marry a British man. We met each other while I was living in the UK on my father's work permit. Now my father isn't working there anymore and we have been relocated to the States.

We are planning on marrying but just trying to find out the best way to go about it. We both want to live in the UK.

We want to live together for a bit before marrying so here is what I am thinking of doing:

Going over to the UK just with my passport and being able to stay for 6 months. During that 6 months applying for a Certificate of Approval when we are certain we want to marry each other. Is this the easiest way? Or should we go about it in a totally different manner?

Thanks so much for you help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:45 pm

You would still have to return to the US after the marriage to apply for a spouse visa. You can't switch from visitor to spouse from within the UK.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Sounds like this one for the r u 21 or over question....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

RomanCandle
Newly Registered

Post by RomanCandle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Casa wrote:You would still have to return to the US after the marriage to apply for a spouse visa. You can't switch from visitor to spouse from within the UK.
So what about the COA, I couldn't switch from that to a spousal visa?

And from what it looks like you are saying...you can get married on a visitors visa?

What do you think my best option would be? We are trying to save money what with the economy like it is.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm

COA allows you to marry, but doesn't change the fact that you can't switch from visitor visa to spouse from the UK. You can marry on visitor visa if you have a COA, but immigration won't like it if they suspect you intend this when you enter and can bounce you.
As Wanderer wisely asked...are you both over 21? :roll:
Other option, if you're sure you want to marry...apply for fiance visa, or marry in the US and apply for spouse visa.

RomanCandle
Newly Registered

Post by RomanCandle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Casa wrote:COA allows you to marry, but doesn't change the fact that you can't switch from visitor visa to spouse from the UK.
As Wanderer wisely asked...are you both over 21? :roll:
Yes we are both over 21 - I don't know why that would matter either way.

So if I go over on a visitor visa - I will have to leave the country no matter what after my time is up. And then apply for whatever visa from there.

Since I am in the US right now, would it be smart to go over on another type of visa? We don't really want to get a fiance visa as that's 1000 pounds altogether for visas within a few months.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:29 pm

You have to both be over 21 in order to apply for a spouse visa now...that's why Wanderer was wondering :) ..and I asked.
As I suggested, fiance visa..marry in the UK, no need to return, or marry in the US and enter on spouse visa.

RomanCandle
Newly Registered

Post by RomanCandle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Casa wrote:You have to both be over 21 in order to apply for a spouse visa now...that's why Wanderer was wondering :) ..and I asked.
As I suggested, fiance visa..marry in the UK, no need to return, or marry in the US and enter on spouse visa.
If I were to go over on a visitors visa, and come back to get my marriage visa - how long on average does that take? I know every case is different. Can it really span from 3-6 months?

I think I'm going to have a hard time with immigration because me and my partner have a bit of an age difference. Has that been known to stop visas from going through?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:53 am

As long as you can prove that the relationship is genuine, you can't be refused due to age difference. Applications made in the US are around 2-3 weeks on average.

oldmantom
Newly Registered

Post by oldmantom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Are you sure about the 2-3 weeks? The LA Consulate opened my wife's application on Dec 2nd and we still haven't heard anything from them..

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Remember there's been Christmas and New Year in between.

RomanCandle
Newly Registered

Post by RomanCandle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Casa wrote:As long as you can prove that the relationship is genuine, you can't be refused due to age difference. Applications made in the US are around 2-3 weeks on average.
Thank you for all this information. We definitely have a genuine relationship, but we just want some time to decide on marriage, you know. To make sure we are doing the right thing.

I thought it was going to be about 3 months to get a marriage visa, but 3 weeks is much better. But I guess it's different with every case.

oldmantom
Newly Registered

Post by oldmantom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 pm

I guess it was just a delay from xmas/new year. My wife just got the email saying she got her visa :) best of luck to you guys!

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:17 am

Romancandle,

If you turned up at the airport with the intention of getting married on a visit then in all probability you will be refused. You need to obtain a marriage visit visa/EC prior to entry or a fiance EC. Check the link below for the rules:

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingt ... ngmarried/