ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mhs_UK
Newly Registered

Spouse visa extension

Post by mhs_UK » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Dear all,

My wife is here on 2 years spouse visa as my dependent (I am UK citizen). Her visa is running out around end of this month and we have got appointment to apply in person in couple of days for her visa extension. She is short of 6 weeks to qualify for ILR (needs to have visa until second week of March to apply for ILR) and hence we're applying to top up the extension. I am just wondering if we could apply to get extension for another six months or so (rather than top-up to qualify for ILR) and apply for ILR later in the year once she has passed Life in UK test?

Please also note that I am aware of the changed rule where you can apply for ILR straight away by post rather than top-up visa extension but we have to travel abroad in March and can't afford to send our passports to HO for indefinte time!

I look forward to hear from someone who have experience or could advice on the outcomes of applying for longer than top-up duration visa extension

Many thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:01 am

Unfortunately, she cannot apply for SET(M) straight away by post until she has satisfied the KOL requirements.

See also £400 For A Month?, FLR mistake?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mhs_UK
Newly Registered

Post by mhs_UK » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks Vinny, I am aware that she can't apply for ILR until she passes the Life in UK test and that's why I have asked if we could apply for her visa extension beyond top-up six weeks towards her ILR eligibility so she can prepare for the test. Dont think you read my question properly ;-)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:25 pm

She can apply for FLR and you will usually be given 2 years extension
to give sufficient time to meet the KOL requirements or complete an ESOL course. However, once the language requirement has been met, you can apply immediately for ILR without waiting for the additional 2 years of FLR to end. The fee will be the same, regardless of the additional time given.
When you apply for FLR ask for the full 2 years to be given and state the reason. My husband applied in this way successfully...and he PASSED HIS TEST TODAY!! :)

mhs_UK
Newly Registered

Post by mhs_UK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:08 am

We asked for 2 years further extension but they have only given a top up of 10 weeks extension despite of all the reasons explained. I think they're getting very strict now (excuses to make more money) and your husband has been lucky... :)