ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enquiry about Unmarried partner visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marian_03
Newly Registered

Enquiry about Unmarried partner visa

Post by Marian_03 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie.

I would like to enquire if I qualify for the 2 year residency requirement of the Unmarried partner visa for the UK?

My partner is a British National working in the UK. We have been together from April 2006. I have been here in the Philippines waiting for the processing of my annulment and my annulment has just been denied this month Feb 2009. My partner has stayed with me in the Philippines for 2 to 3 weeks on 4 occasions since then, and I went to the UK once, 4 months stay in UK since then.
My partner has been sending me money monthly to support myself and my family.
We are communicating by voice and text chat on Yahoo everyday from 12:30AM to 8 AM Phil time, 4:30 PM to 12 mn UK time Mon to Fri. and longer on weekends.

traveller1973
Newly Registered

Post by traveller1973 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:45 pm

The basics of the Unmarried Partner application is whether you have been in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years. Based on what you have said here, it doesn't sound like it has been.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:47 pm

No 'fraid not....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

timfoster
Newly Registered

Post by timfoster » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 am

The unmarried visa policy is a farce. My partner has just been granted her visa after I spent the last 8 weeks badgering everyine from the Chief Exec of the Border Agency to the section chief in New York. They admitted they'd screwed things up, but said tough luck you have to wait for the appeal in six months!!!!!! We have our wedding scheduled for Easter this year and as they wouldn;t have heard the appeal until after then, they would refuse it as we'd no longer be unmarried partners!

Her original application was rejected in October 2008 because they claimed we hadn't show we'd lived together for 2 years and didn't have enough income. We send documents proving we'd lived together for 3.5 years and my salary is £3000 after tax!!!!!!!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 am

Don't understand. Why, if you are getting married in April isn't your partner applying for a fiancée visa, rather than a UPV?

Now when she gets to the UK she will need to apply for a CoA ... Certificate of Approval to Marry ... cost £295 .... something that would not have been necessary if the correct visa had been applied for.

It also means, given a CoA takes 1 to 2 months to be issued, the April marriage plan, presumably in the UK, will be difficult, especially if towards the beginning of April.

Or is the marriage going to be in a Church of England Church?
John

timfoster
Newly Registered

Post by timfoster » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 am

John wrote:Don't understand. Why, if you are getting married in April isn't your partner applying for a fiancée visa, rather than a UPV?

Now when she gets to the UK she will need to apply for a CoA ... Certificate of Approval to Marry ... cost £295 .... something that would not have been necessary if the correct visa had been applied for.

It also means, given a CoA takes 1 to 2 months to be issued, the April marriage plan, presumably in the UK, will be difficult, especially if towards the beginning of April.

Or is the marriage going to be in a Church of England Church?
We didn't apply for a fiancée visa because that forced us to get married within 6 months, and meant that she could not work. I take offence at being told by the Government when we should get married. We always planned to get married but when the process became so farcical we decided to get married in Mexico (where we have a home). This is still the plan. I don't like being told by anyone how to live my life.

It seems that the entire immigration process is designed to make it as difficult as possible so that even the most determined criminal wouldn't be bothered with it. Meanwhile, those, like us, that are law abiding and simply want to get on with our lives are penalised. Even when they admitted they had screwed things up, they still wouldn't change the decision!

It seems to me that the border agency's role is purely to justify their own existence. They are the most incompetent group of people I have ever come across. Almost every person I spoke with from the call centre through to the chief executive and private secretaries in the Government was spectacularly incompetent. And these people are in charge of our security!!!

I was actually told that the UK keeps no records of people that come into the UK! I knew they had no idea of when people leave, but they have no idea when people arrive either!!! How they can make decisions regarding the security of the country when they cannot manage their processes properly is beyond a joke. It's actually quite scary!

Rant over now :)

jei2
Member of Standing

Re: Enquiry about Unmarried partner visa

Post by jei2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:56 am

Marian_03 wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie.

I would like to enquire if I qualify for the 2 year residency requirement of the Unmarried partner visa for the UK?

My partner is a British National working in the UK. We have been together from April 2006. I have been here in the Philippines waiting for the processing of my annulment and my annulment has just been denied this month Feb 2009. My partner has stayed with me in the Philippines for 2 to 3 weeks on 4 occasions since then, and I went to the UK once, 4 months stay in UK since then.
My partner has been sending me money monthly to support myself and my family.
We are communicating by voice and text chat on Yahoo everyday from 12:30AM to 8 AM Phil time, 4:30 PM to 12 mn UK time Mon to Fri. and longer on weekends.

As pointed out earlier, on the basis of your account you wouldn't satisfy the requirements for an unmarried partner.

Is your partner a British national or a British citizen? Does s/he have the right of abode?
Oh, the drama...!

joe777

Post by joe777 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:27 pm

and should you both go back to the phils, there is a risk you could be charged with adultery if there is no annulment.