ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of GNIB status for non-EU wife.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

puremeteor
Newly Registered

Change of GNIB status for non-EU wife.

Post by puremeteor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:38 am

I am an Irish citizen and my wife is non-EU. She's been here on a work permit (Stamp 1) for the past 3 yrs. We got married a couple of months back.

Question:
1. Can she now work without a work permit?
2. if so, is it just a case of both of us going to GNIB and showing them our marriage certificate and my passport and then they will change the stamp 1 to stamp 4??

ashimashi

Re: Change of GNIB status for non-EU wife.

Post by ashimashi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 am

puremeteor wrote:I am an Irish citizen and my wife is non-EU. She's been here on a work permit (Stamp 1) for the past 3 yrs. We got married a couple of months back.

Question:
2. if so, is it just a case of both of us going to GNIB and showing them our marriage certificate and my passport and then they will change the stamp 1 to stamp 4??
Yes to both. At least this was the case when I got married (to an Irish person) in 2004.

kazinirl

Re: Change of GNIB status for non-EU wife.

Post by kazinirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:07 pm

puremeteor wrote:I am an Irish citizen and my wife is non-EU. She's been here on a work permit (Stamp 1) for the past 3 yrs. We got married a couple of months back.

Question:
Yes. That was the exactly same as what I did when I got married to my Irish husband in summer 2008.
Free of charge to get new GNIB card with Stamp4!

puremeteor
Newly Registered

Post by puremeteor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:43 pm

okay..thanks for the response

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 pm

kazinirl and ashimashi. Where are you both from? Your situations may be different to puremeteor.

Puremeteor: Where is your non-EU wife from?

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm

it probably wouldn't make much of a difference as I'm probably from the worst place you could be from immigration-wise : Iran :-)

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 pm

ashimashi wrote:it probably wouldn't make much of a difference as I'm probably from the worst place you could be from immigration-wise : Iran :-)
Wow, ok. So you were in Ireland at the time on a Work Permit / Work Visa, and them married an Irish person? And then you applied for a D-Spouse visa to stay on and were immediately granted the D-Spouse Visa and Stamp4 (no 12-18 month delay)? This would be the same procedure that a Visa Free national would experience (e.g. American, Singaporean).

I presumed it would be the same situation for non-Visa Free nationals as for other non-Visa Free nationals without Work Permits/Visas. If they apply post marriage for a Spouse visa from Ireland, they must wait 12-18 months for the application to be processed before they are granted a D-Spouse and Stamp 4.

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 pm

scrudu wrote:
ashimashi wrote:it probably wouldn't make much of a difference as I'm probably from the worst place you could be from immigration-wise : Iran :-)
Wow, ok. So you were in Ireland at the time on a Work Permit / Work Visa, and them married an Irish person? And then you applied for a D-Spouse visa to stay on and were immediately granted the D-Spouse Visa and Stamp4 (no 12-18 month delay)? This would be the same procedure that a Visa Free national would experience (e.g. American, Singaporean).

I presumed it would be the same situation for non-Visa Free nationals as for other non-Visa Free nationals without Work Permits/Visas. If they apply post marriage for a Spouse visa from Ireland, they must wait 12-18 months for the application to be processed before they are granted a D-Spouse and Stamp 4.
Yep, was on work permit at the time, and Nope, no delay. Just walked to GNIB office with our passports and marriage cert and was granted a 5yr Stamp4 there and then.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:45 pm

ashimashi wrote:Yep, was on work permit at the time, and Nope, no delay. Just walked to GNIB office with our passports and marriage cert and was granted a 5yr Stamp4 there and then.
That's fantastic. I didn't know this was possible by any route for non-Visa Free nationals. Thanks for the info!

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:47 pm

No probs. It may not be the case any more, I don't know. And note that my wife is IRISH, not other EU...

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:56 pm

scrudu wrote:kazinirl and ashimashi. Where are you both from? Your situations may be different to puremeteor.

Puremeteor: Where is your non-EU wife from?
Hi.

I'm Japanese.(non-visa required national)
I was on Workpermit before I got married.
My husband is Irish.

As it says on Inis website, it doesn't matter if you are visa-required national or not, as long as you are within the period of permission to remain granted.
You'll get Stamp4 straight away.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

1. If you are a non visa required national who has entered the State legally within the last 90 days or if you are a visa required national and you are within the period of permission to remain granted to you on arrival in the State or if you have current permission to remain in the State on an alternative basis both you and your Irish national spouse should attend at your local Garda National Immigration Bureau Registration Office with the following documentation:

Your original marriage certificate
Your original passport
Your Irish spouse’s original passport
Evidence of your joint address

puremeteor
Newly Registered

Post by puremeteor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi,
My wife is from India (visa required country), so I think it's the same case as ashimashi's.