ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

@@@@@@@@@@ IELTS exam for spouse @@@@@@@@@

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fahad77

@@@@@@@@@@ IELTS exam for spouse @@@@@@@@@

Post by fahad77 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Is it true that my spouse has to appear for an IELTS exam as well even though I will be the main applicant and I'm not claiming any points for my wife's education and experience?

hisuleman
Newly Registered

Post by hisuleman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Yes mate. You are right. All dependant applicants need to appear for IELTS regardless of the points claimed.

fahad77

Post by fahad77 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:59 pm

thanks for the reply mate, i hope this rule does not apply to my 3 years old daughter and 1 year old son :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:12 pm

hisuleman wrote:Yes mate. You are right. All dependant applicants need to appear for IELTS regardless of the points claimed.
Actually not true ... those under 18 are not English tested, and for the purpose of showing spouse "functional" English skills, evidence other than IELTS may be acceptable.

There is also the alternative of paying the 2nd instalment, which covers English tuition in Australia after arrival.

fahad77

Post by fahad77 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi JAJ,

I think any one older than 18 should complete IELTS exam if his/her native lanugage is other than English.
I know for Canadian immigration, they accept a letter from your university stating that all the courses were taught in English. I also have that letter from my university and i have been living in USA for last 8 years and worked for fotune 500 US employers and I can alway get letters from my employers saying the same thing but I'm sure still it could be an issue with your application if you havent pass an freakin IELTS exam.
Any comments?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:20 pm

If the main applicant, or a spouse seeking to contribute points, IELTS is mandatory unless you hold the passport of a few countries (British citizen, Irish, New Zealand etc).

Different issue for the 2nd instalment of the visa application charge.

Harry2007
Newly Registered

Post by Harry2007 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 pm

For NZ PR u DO NOT need your spouse to have IELTS if u are not claiming points for your spouse qualification. Even if u do there are clauses like min 6 yrs education with english as primary lang with which u can bypass IELTS for spouse.

I applied from india and claimed points for spouse education. We both got PR without her having to appear for IIELTS.

cheers
harry

fahad77

Post by fahad77 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks Harry but i'm applying for Australia PR

Denise Casey
BANNED

Post by Denise Casey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi,

If your wife is not a passport holder from Ireland, UK, Canada, USA or New Zealand then she will be required to sit the IELTS exam. Her overall band score should be 4.5

You can find more information on www.IELTS.org regarding this.

Regards,
Denise