ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Taxi Driver !!! Seniors plz reply.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Humana

Taxi Driver !!! Seniors plz reply.

Post by Humana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:48 am

Can I drive a taxi after entering UK on Tier1 ? In case dont get the early break there !!!!

Or can we do any other job there?

Seniors please reply.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 am

I believe you can do this to help make ends meet, as there are no restrictions on employment per se (unless you are a doctor in training). Just be aware of the EU driving laws though, and know that your international driver's license would only be valid for 1 year, following which you'd have to go through the tests for a UK driving license.

Humana

Post by Humana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:06 am

drjabberwocky23 wrote:I believe you can do this to help make ends meet, as there are no restrictions on employment per se (unless you are a doctor in training). Just be aware of the EU driving laws though, and know that your international driver's license would only be valid for 1 year, following which you'd have to go through the tests for a UK driving license.
Thanks Dear.

So I can do any type o job there (except as doctor)

Can it anyway effect my ILR application later after 5 years or so?

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 am

Humana wrote:
drjabberwocky23 wrote:I believe you can do this to help make ends meet, as there are no restrictions on employment per se (unless you are a doctor in training). Just be aware of the EU driving laws though, and know that your international driver's license would only be valid for 1 year, following which you'd have to go through the tests for a UK driving license.
Thanks Dear.

So I can do any type o job there (except as doctor)

Can it anyway effect my ILR application later after 5 years or so?
I think you can do any job out there, but be aware that you may experience problems when it comes to renewing your visa. It is possible that you may not meet the points criteria for renewal in that situation. Also, given that you are likely to be a highly skilled professional with university qualifications, etc. it is likely that you would want to make use of your qualification at some point, rather than remain in the United Kingdom doing a job that you don't enjoy simply for the sake of being here.

Humana

Post by Humana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 am

I got your point. I am just concerning that in case we dont get something related immediately then we can do something else to bear the normal living expenses rather than expending the same from pocket. Same time we can continue the search for job.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 am

Humana wrote:I got your point. I am just concerning that in case we dont get something related immediately then we can do something else to bear the normal living expenses rather than expending the same from pocket. Same time we can continue the search for job.
That's what I thought you meant, and it's very understandable!

Humana

Post by Humana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:32 am

For one-two months it should not be any problem while filing for ILR. Right!!!

pcr
Newly Registered

Post by pcr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:49 am

Btw one should have minimum 3 years UK license to drive a taxi.
A cabby told me this.

Humana

Post by Humana » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:33 am

pcr wrote:Btw one should have minimum 3 years UK license to drive a taxi.
A cabby told me this.
Is that so!!!! means we cant drive a cab there???

What others jobs we can do?

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 am

Humana wrote:
A cabby told me this.
Is that so!!!! means we cant drive a cab there???

What others jobs we can do?
To drive a cab you will need a special cab license. I'm not sure what the requirements for this are.

sunny_hsmp001

Post by sunny_hsmp001 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 am

A cabby told me this.
this is not possible and seems relevant.

please confirm before quoting such things.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 am

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Different local authorities seem to have different requirements:

Basildon
YOU MUST BE:
Over 21 years of age and have held a full DVLA driving licence for at least three years.
That licence must not have had three or more endorsements on it within the preceding three years.
Tynedale
He/she has held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) granted to the applicant under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972 authorising him/her to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application
For London mini cab drivers you have to have a full UK or EEA driving licence & at least 3 years driving expereince:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartne ... 10037.aspx
Driving ability Full DVLA, NI or EEA driving licence
3 years driving experience
Black cab/hackney carriage drivers in London have to do the knowledge.
All London drivers, also known as Green Badge drivers, need a detailed knowledge of London within a six mile radius of Charing Cross.

Initially there are 320 routes or runs to learn, along with all the places of interest and important landmarks on and around these runs.

It takes between two to four years to learn and pass the All London Knowledge. Once you are licensed you can work anywhere in the Greater London area.
Suburban drivers, or Yellow Badge drivers, need to choose from one of the nine suburban sectors and know between 30 and 51 runs in detail, depending on their chosen sector, and all places of interest and important landmarks on those runs.

It takes around two years to become a licensed Suburban taxi driver. Once qualified you can only work in the sector you are licensed for.
The Knowledge

The plus side of the Knowledge is:
The brain will grow as you learn and put into practice the Knowledge, says research by the Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience.

On scanning the brains of 16 London taxi drivers, who had spent an average of two years learning the Knowledge, they found they had a larger right hippocampus than control subjects.

sunny_hsmp001

Post by sunny_hsmp001 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:54 pm

the reality is that if you have a valid indian license,you can get a valid UK license after giving it to them(authorities)

and its better than applying afresh when u get there

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:28 pm

the reality is that if you have a valid indian license,you can get a valid UK license after giving it to them(authorities)

That is not correct. One cannot exchange an Indian licence for a full UK one.

Following is the list of designated countries, nationals of which are eligible for exchanging their respective licences for UK licence.

Designated Countries: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

The link below is for an interactive tool that can be used to get more details.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Motor ... icence.dsb

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm

sunny_hsmp001 wrote:the reality is that if you have a valid indian license,you can get a valid UK license after giving it to them(authorities)

That's not true. You need to pass the UK Driving Test if you wish to drive in the UK for more than a year on your existing international licence from India. It isn't just a straight swop, and many experienced drivers from abroad find the UK driving test a significant obstacle. Even more so if they have spent the last X number of years cultivating bad habits.

motogod
Newly Registered

Re: Taxi Driver !!! Seniors plz reply.

Post by motogod » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:59 pm

you need a special insurance if you are taking on fare paying customers on top of your normal insurance. The normal insurance itself for a person who has just landed in UK will be quiet high. An income from taxi fares will not be enough to cover just your normal insurance.

Get insurance quotes from one of the comparison websites like www.confused.com
Humana wrote:Can I drive a taxi after entering UK on Tier1 ? In case dont get the early break there !!!!

Or can we do any other job there?

Seniors please reply.

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:18 pm

You can not drive taxi on an international or Non EU- Non EEA license. In most of the cases if you hold a british license it should be 2-3 years old. taxi badge process usually takes more than 3 months and in some cases can take up to 6 months. In some cases Forigen national living in UK for less than 5 years need character certificate from thier home countries showing that person has no criminal record.

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm

sunny_hsmp001 wrote:the reality is that if you have a valid indian license,you can get a valid UK license after giving it to them(authorities)

Oh Really R u serious:) you cant exchange an indian license with British license

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm

You cant. Check DVLA website.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Perhaps there needs to be a sticky to tell people what to do to drive legally in the UK.

Humana

Post by Humana » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:15 am

Cant we drive personal car also?

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:48 am

Humana wrote:Cant we drive personal car also?
If you have an international driver's licence,. then it can be used in the UK for one calendar year. In that time, if you continue to want to drive, you must pass the UK driving test (theory, hazard perception & practical). If India is the only country you have ever driven in, I'd be cautious driving in the UK without having a few lessons before hand, just to familiarise yourself with things again.

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Humana wrote:Cant we drive personal car also?
Yes, you can drive for one year. But if you dont have experience driving here, I strongly suggest you to take few classes. Getting a licnse is a big achievement here, unlike India.

for alternate work, consider working at Tesco, Primark, Asda or other temporary jobs advertised in local shops or gumtree. But given this economic situation, getting that will also be very difficult i think.

Good luck
Vikram