ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

settlement visa & permission to work

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

j19
Newly Registered

settlement visa & permission to work

Post by j19 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi is there anyone that can advise me as to my rights regarding working whilst on a settlement visa. My specific visa is a SETTLEMENT SPOUSE/CP(KOL REQ)
I am Australian & my visa was granted in Sep 2008 i am living in the uk with my British husband and i want to work but i am unable to find any information which acknowledges one way or another. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks j19

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:04 pm

There are no restrictions on you working in the UK , and you should apply for a National Insurance number, although you can start work before this is issued. Your visa was issued with KOL Req. Have you taken the Life in the Uk test yet (KOL), as once you have passed this you can apply immediately for ILR without completing 2 years on your spouse entry visa.

j19
Newly Registered

Post by j19 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Cheers Casa that is great to hear. I have a NI # from approx. 10 years ago when i worked here for 12 months, would this still be active?
I have not taken the KOL test where is the best place to find this information?
Thanks again
J19

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:48 pm

j19 wrote:Cheers Casa that is great to hear. I have a NI # from approx. 10 years ago when i worked here for 12 months, would this still be active?
I have not taken the KOL test where is the best place to find this information?
Thanks again
J19
i had my same edorsement on my visa i passed my KOL test within a mounth of entry and applied my ILR you will fine you can get information you local library of there is www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk you can find out your location easily.

as fas as you NI is concern thats your for whole life once its issued but you can still check it with HRMC and activate it b4 start you job i do hope that info will help you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:53 pm

If you haven't studied for the test, you need to buy the official Home Office study book available in W.H Smith and most major stationers.
I'd suggest you apply as soon as you pass the test as there are changes due, and fees are likely to rise ...yet again!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:53 pm

The NI number system is bizarre, and once a number is issued it doesn't seem to be "deactivated", although there is probably some process for recording those who have died and were on benefits or the old age pension.

If your number was legally issued to you, I would go ahead and start using it, you shouldn't have to apply for another one.

Look on the UKBA website regarding the Knowledge of Life stuff.

j19
Newly Registered

Post by j19 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Thank you all for your assistance re. my visa queries... You have been most helpful & it is much appreciated.
Regards J19 :)

frances2

Post by frances2 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Casa wrote:There are no restrictions on you working in the UK , and you should apply for a National Insurance number, although you can start work before this is issued. Your visa was issued with KOL Req. Have you taken the Life in the Uk test yet (KOL), as once you have passed this you can apply immediately for ILR without completing 2 years on your spouse entry visa.

Hi. Forgive me for hijacking this thread.

Is this really true that once you've passed the life in the UK test you can apply for ILR when in the UK on a spouse visa??? You don't have to wait 2 years. I can't believe I've never heard of this....

Please would someone clarify before I go rushing off to Croyden.... Whatever happened to the 2 years and all that proof of an ongoing relationship etc....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Only if you've been married for a minimum of 4 years and living outside
of the UK during the whole of this time...and have been issued with an
spouse entry visa showing KOL REQ.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 pm

frances2 wrote:
Casa wrote:There are no restrictions on you working in the UK , and you should apply for a National Insurance number, although you can start work before this is issued. Your visa was issued with KOL Req. Have you taken the Life in the Uk test yet (KOL), as once you have passed this you can apply immediately for ILR without completing 2 years on your spouse entry visa.

Is this really true that once you've passed the life in the UK test you can apply for ILR when in the UK on a spouse visa??? You don't have to wait 2 years. I can't believe I've never heard of this....

Please would someone clarify before I go rushing off to Croyden.... Whatever happened to the 2 years and all that proof of an ongoing relationship etc....

Come on frances2, I think you know that Casa was referring only to the case in point where the applicant is usually granted a further 2 years to complete the test. UKBA hasn't gone that bonkers yet :lol:
Oh, the drama...!

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 pm

jei2 wrote:
frances2 wrote:

Come on frances2, I think you know that Casa was referring only to the case in point where the applicant is usually granted a further 2 years to complete the test. UKBA hasn't gone that bonkers yet :lol:
Casa was referring to the Four years together outside the UK Rule.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:04 pm

er.. I was responding to Casa's reference to 2 years in her earlier post. And to frances2 (presumably) tongue-in-cheek response..
Oh, the drama...!

frances2

Post by frances2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:10 pm

At the risk of looking really dumb....
My response was genuine, I've been off the board for a long time... Husband now here, 9 month old baby.... You get the picture.... I just read what had been said and thought, OMG, have I missed something.

But thank you everyone for putting me straight. I did think it was too good to be true.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Sorry frances2.

my bad. (oh how I've longed for a chance to use that cheesy phrase!)

Thought you were being sarky.
Oh, the drama...!

j19
Newly Registered

Post by j19 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi all j19 here (SETTLEMENT SPOUSE/CP(KOL REQ) back for some more advice .....

Casa you wrote previously...........once you have passed this (KOL)you can apply immediately for ILR without completing 2 years on your spouse entry visa......

I would really like to clarify this as #5 on the guidance notes for ILR states.............Please do not apply more than 28 days before completing that period (ie 2 yr qualifying period)....if you apply earlier than that your application may be refused..if that happens we will not refund the fee!!!!!!!!

I do not wat to run the risk of loosing 750 pound, you you advise me as to why i may be an acception to the 2 year requirement.

Thank you j19[/list]

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:38 pm

j19 wrote:Hi all j19 here (SETTLEMENT SPOUSE/CP(KOL REQ) back for some more advice .....

Casa you wrote previously...........once you have passed this (KOL)you can apply immediately for ILR without completing 2 years on your spouse entry visa......

I would really like to clarify this as #5 on the guidance notes for ILR states.............Please do not apply more than 28 days before completing that period (ie 2 yr qualifying period)....if you apply earlier than that your application may be refused..if that happens we will not refund the fee!!!!!!!!

I do not wat to run the risk of loosing 750 pound, you you advise me as to why i may be an acception to the 2 year requirement.

Thank you j19[/list]
you are alreday qulify for ILR but only requirement is KOL test 28 for those who have to complete 2 year as spouse visa situation is different here hope these links will explain you completly about your case. i will suggest you pay 950 and go personaly its quicker and better and now its upto u.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/chapte ... %20sixteen

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... tsandcodes