ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Think twice before applying for HSMP/Tier1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ecforspouse
Newly Registered

Think twice before applying for HSMP/Tier1

Post by ecforspouse » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Consider the following before planning to come to UK.(Purely from my experience).
Finding a job is not very easy unless you have good technical experience and communication skills. And offcourse luck.
Market is bad now. It may take at least 1 to 2 years to recover from recession.
If you are used to sunny weather, you may not enjoy the winter very much.
Cost of living(London)
Child Care for kids less than 5 Years old - 900 GBP month.
Child minder for kids > 5 Yrs 300 GBP per month
Car Insurance - 800 GBP per year
Petrol - 100 GBP per month
Parking -50 GBP per month
Travel Tube/Bus - 50 to 100 GBP per month.
Council Tax -120 GBP/Month
School Lunch - 40 GBP/Month
Gas- 80-100 GBP
Electricity - 80-100
Water - 80-100
Mobile - 20 GBP
BT line - 12 GBP
Broadband- 8 to 10 GBP
Grocery - 300 to 400 GBP /month/family
Luch working days(outside) - 80 GBP per month
Clothing - winter, summer, etc - 100-200 per person
Outside food- 50 GBP person per month
TV Licence - 140 per year
Cable TV - 20-30 GBP per month
Driving license - Learners 30GBP + book/CD - 10 GBP
- Practical 55 GBP + with 10 to 50 Hours of lessons with 20 to 28 GBP per hour. (Even if you are an experienced driver)
House rent 800 to 1000 GBP
When u move in = first month rent + deposit(6 weeks rent) + Around 300 GBP for the agent/broker
Average London salary 35 to 45K per year for an IT person.
Work culture : In most of the offices 37.5 hours per week. No personal calls/browsing/chat during office hours. You must be at your desk most of the time(not like india where you can be in the canteen whenever you want or come or leave early as you want)
Though the NHS treatment is free you will have to pay 7GBP for each medicine. For fever, cold, flu, cough, etc no treatment just drink water and buy medicines from the shop(without prescription).
Specs - Will cost around 150 GBP
Also allocate some money for initial travel for job search.
Suits are required in some companies(very few)[/list]

ecforspouse
Newly Registered

Post by ecforspouse » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 am

Let me tell u the initial setup cost for me, wife, and 2 kids.
All expenses in GBP:
Car - 3250
Insurance - 800
Car Seats - 70
Push chair -60
2 beds - 300
Bed cover + pillow+ blankets, etc - 100
Kids toys - 50
Winter dress for family - 200
Job search - 1000
TV + Licence+ DVD player- 250
Microwave - 70
Vaccum Cleaner - 70
Spam utensils - 100
Other stationaries - 100
House rent + deposit + agent fee - 2400
Broadband box+ phone - 50
TV stand +table+ chair - 50(cheap ones)
Iron box+ stand+ toaster+ mixer+etc - 50

Other expenses:
Tickets to UK :Rs.70,000
Laptop : Rs. 40,000
Dress and other shopping for UK: Rs.25,000
EC fee - Rs.64000
HSMP fee : 32,000
Courier - Rs. 3000
NARIC - Rs.3200
Certificats from University - Rs.2000(Travel + Fee)

mbasaaga

Re: Think twice before applying for HSMP/Tier1

Post by mbasaaga » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:44 am

So many people come to UK never thinking about what you have just mentioned and the get a shock...

add to your list the expenses on VISA extensions and the painful wait it involves.. in fact, everything here is so slow and expensive.

Prospective candidates, do consider that this country is expensive, Pound is getting weaker and economic conditions bevoming harsh - Coming in at this point will mean living one day at a time till God knows when..

ecforspouse wrote:Consider the following before planning to come to UK.(Purely from my experience).
Finding a job is not very easy unless you have good technical experience and communication skills. And offcourse luck.
Cost of living(London)
Gas- 80-100 GBP
Electricity - 80-100
Water - 80-100
Mobile - 20 GBP
BT line - 12 GBP
Broadband- 8 to 10 GBP
- Practical 55 GBP + with 10 to 50 Hours of lessons with 20 to 28 GBP per hour. (Even if you are an experienced driver)
When u move in = first month rent + deposit(6 weeks rent) + Around 300 GBP for the agent/broker
Work culture : In most of the offices 37.5 hours per week. No personal calls/browsing/chat during office hours. You must be at your desk most of the time(not like india where you can be in the canteen whenever you want or come or leave early as you want)
Though the NHS treatment is free you will have to pay 7GBP for each medicine. For fever, cold, flu, cough, etc no treatment just drink water and buy medicines from the shop(without prescription).

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 am

I agree that UK is expensive country as other developed country, but cost of living varies from person to person.

If you are living in London, in my opinion you can live without car(atleast till you are comfortable with economic position) and so does without associated cost. It's not mandatory cost.

You need child minder/carer, only if your wife is working, and if she does, then that nulliefies this cost.

I'm not painting rosy picture here, but experience for everyone is different. It depend on , what is one's idea about living here.

ecforspouse wrote:Consider the following before planning to come to UK.(Purely from my experience).
Cost of living(London)
Gas- 80-100 GBP
Electricity - 80-100
Water - 80-100
Mobile - 20 GBP
BT line - 12 GBP
Broadband- 8 to 10 GBP

Humana

Post by Humana » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Oooooooppppppsssssssss........

Just Read this Thread :-)

If it is really really a big reality.... that you dont like to live in UK...or it is expensive.... Come on come back to your home country Man.. what are you doing there? ??????

You can easily get a job in home country 8) afterall you will be UK Returned :lol:

mbasaaga

Post by mbasaaga » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Its not that easy mate.. at least a part of the time, money, effort, energy invested needs to be recouped else you will be much worse in your home country. Ultimately, most people of this generation WILL go back..

Humana wrote:Oooooooppppppsssssssss........

Just Read this Thread :-)

If it is really really a big reality.... that you dont like to live in UK...or it is expensive.... Come on come back to your home country Man.. what are you doing there? ??????

You can easily get a job in home country 8) afterall you will be UK Returned :lol:

ecforspouse
Newly Registered

Post by ecforspouse » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:58 pm

The objective of my post was just to make you aware of the typical expenses for a family. It can vary depends on the life style. Though my expenses look high i live a very normal life. With kids going to school and nursery a car was essential in my case.
After spending so much money it is not very easy to return to India and setup again immediatly(Offcourse finding a job in this market won't be easy in India).
At the end of the end of the day it is upto the individual. If you want to live and experience the life in a foreign country it is worth doing that. But never underestimate the cost especially if you have a family to take care.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 am

ecforspouse wrote:The objective of my post was just to make you aware of the typical expenses for a family. It can vary depends on the life style. Though my expenses look high i live a very normal life. With kids going to school and nursery a car was essential in my case.
After spending so much money it is not very easy to return to India and setup again immediatly(Offcourse finding a job in this market won't be easy in India).
At the end of the end of the day it is upto the individual. If you want to live and experience the life in a foreign country it is worth doing that. But never underestimate the cost especially if you have a family to take care.
I'm sorry if my reply offend you.

But, I often find people painting negative picture of UK to hopefuls from India/other country, very disturbing. And in fact, they never leave UK.

I agree it's not so easy to start here. But, that's life. It's hugh decision to immigrate, for anyone. And most of people should have thought of that.

Problem is , people come here, thinking of making money(saving more than 1 lac in Rs) like people they have seen in past, under different circumstances. Things have definitely change now, so does back home.

Remember, majority of UK citizens earn less than normal HSMPian and lives(though with some state help) in this country.

You are right it's up to individual to think throughly before taking this big decision.
Last edited by gotcha on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:19 am

ecforspouse,

Why do you have to spend 3250 on the car initially.. though the used cars are available in UK for sometihing £500 +.. I don't think you need to spend this amount just for Show off.. from my past experiances i have seen a cheap car is also reliable .. just its old.. and can be used for basic travilling.. though in UK public transport is very good.. i would not recommend any one to put money in car unless they have a good job and settled properly. Looking at the list of your expenditure i think you have a lot of money in India and u r in UK just to enjoy the life style.. please do not set your example for others..

I remember when i came to UK initially my monthly expenditure was less than £400.. ofcourse i did not have car then.. and now it exceeds more than £2000.. just i do lots of extra spending.. You need to live with in your means and i dont think its shoud cost more than £1200 for a family with kid.. or £700 for single person.. I know a friend who used to live a good life in this budget...

Revised initial cost for a new person in UK .. who does not like showoff... and wishes to spend money sensibly. (ecforspouse, no offence please)

Car - 3250 - Not required (If urgent can spend upto 500- 700)

Insurance - 800 (Not required as no car )

Car Seats - 70 (Not required )

Push chair -60 - you can get cheaper if you search internet.

2 beds - 300 (Not required. as most houses in London are furnished and a double bed from Argos costs something £150)

Bed cover + pillow+ blankets, etc - 100 (Bed cover can get from
India.. £10 for pillows and £20 for good quality king size quilt from tesco/asda)

Kids toys - 50 (I dont have kid so cannot comment.. but this can be resonable)

Winter dress for family - 200 (Why dont you get the same from India?)

Job search - 1000 (Depends)

TV + Licence+ DVD player- 250 (TV Licence = 139 but why do you need a DVD player initially? are you here to watch movies or look for a job? still a good DVD player costs £20)

Microwave - 70 (Again most of houses are furnished.. you can crach a deal from your landloard on this.. still a basic microwave costs £23-30 from Tesco/Asda)

Vaccum Cleaner - 70 (Again most of houses are furnished.. you can crach a deal from your landloard on this.. still a basic costs £40.. you can look for second hand on ebay)

Spam utensils - 100 (not more than £50)

Other stationaries - 100 (Like what?)

House rent + deposit + agent fee - 2400 (Agreed for London but do you really need to spend on this? what if you get a job in leeds?)

Broadband box+ phone - 50 (Sky broadband is free on 12 months subscription so £26 for TV package, Line and Internet)

TV stand +table+ chair - 50(cheap ones) (if you go for a furnished house you dont need to buy this)

Iron box+ stand+ toaster+ mixer+etc - 50 (Look for the deals)

rest agreed...

Other expenses:
Tickets to UK :Rs.70,000
Laptop : Rs. 40,000
Dress and other shopping for UK: Rs.25,000
EC fee - Rs.64000
HSMP fee : 32,000
Courier - Rs. 3000
NARIC - Rs.3200
Certificats from University - Rs.2000(Travel + Fee)

N

bruceb
United Kingdom

my opinion

Post by bruceb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:47 pm

In my opinion the living expenses listed here are a bit exaggerated.
I have been to UK twice, in 2003 and in 2008 and now i have applied for tier 1. With the data I have collected during my visits don't require this budget.
For everyone there are some reasons behind moving to UK, but most to earn money and comeback and settle well in India. If we are heading to UK to live a similar lifestyle as in India, then I think you are better off in India my friend.

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:25 pm

These are not exaggerated. With the course of time when your earning improves, so your your spending increases. The stats given here are for the people who r new to UK and dont have jobs.

As i said in my case there was a time when monthly expenses did not exceed more than £500 and now its more than £2000.. you just need to learn to spend within your means..

bruceb
United Kingdom

Post by bruceb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:27 pm

nksg wrote:These are not exaggerated. ..
Was referring to ecforspouse
nksg wrote:you just need to learn to spend within your means..
rightly said.

tier1from_uk

Post by tier1from_uk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 pm

hmmmm......... UK is a developed country dude...... it depends on person to person, but if someone has got a chance to stay n work in this beautiful country, he shud consider himself lucky....... this county is not meant for ppl who r obsessed about their home town......... n moreover, if u have landed here only with an aim to earn million pounds n then go back, then i m afraid, ur thinking is superficial.........

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 pm

nksg wrote:These are not exaggerated. With the course of time when your earning improves, so your your spending increases. The stats given here are for the people who r new to UK and dont have jobs.

As i said in my case there was a time when monthly expenses did not exceed more than £500 and now its more than £2000.. you just need to learn to spend within your means..
I would say You need proper planning

Here is my situation:

I am flying to UK next month - march mid. Staying at friend/colleague's place, its his own house and he is britisher. I will be staying there free of cost. Secondly my friend was working with me in my previous company so he is helping me out with my job as well which we think can be obtained within a month or so with my skills and experience. I have enough money in hand to stay in UK without any help also for 6 months. I have planned this step (Tier 1 and migrating to UK) well in advance (past 2 years). Around 25-30 of my friends have forwarded my CV to their bosses recommending me in UK.

The above is not tell how great I am, but to tell that if you want to achieve something then you have to DREAM, PLAN and EXECUTE it. And I guess you also need a little bit of LUCK!!
Jedi001

GoforUK

Post by GoforUK » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:52 am

Well said!!!!
Submitted on:4th Feb,Chennai
UK ADMIRER

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:10 am

tier1from_uk,

If that comment was for my post, i would say please read it "Carefully" again. I did not intend to hurt any ones feelings... Even in your own country you live within your means.. and thats what i am advising any one new to the country. If you think UK is advanced and start spending money like any thing in your initial period.. without a proper job.. you are in lots of trouble mate...My thinking is practical.. not superficial... I have helped many friends in their initial.. times in UK and what i said comes from my experiance..
tier1from_uk wrote:hmmmm......... UK is a developed country dude...... it depends on person to person, but if someone has got a chance to stay n work in this beautiful country, he shud consider himself lucky....... this county is not meant for ppl who r obsessed about their home town......... n moreover, if u have landed here only with an aim to earn million pounds n then go back, then i m afraid, ur thinking is superficial.........

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:31 am

GoforUK wrote:Well said!!!!

Thanks Bro!! I get a little irritated when people talk about not coming to UK and about how hard it is to live there. If your thinking is so negative then never think about leaving India. Just stay here and enjoy!!

Please do not qoute me for the above, these are just my personal thoughts and I am not pointing fingers to anyone.
Last edited by Jedi001 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi001

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:16 am

"Grass always looks green on the other side" :D

The ourcome is if you are coming to UK for a better lifestyle and money, you cannot get the same unless you do hardwork and proper planning.

But life is not simple in UK.. and this is a country for those who loves challenges :P and works hard..

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:07 pm

nksg wrote:"Grass always looks green on the other side" :D

The ourcome is if you are coming to UK for a better lifestyle and money, you cannot get the same unless you do hardwork and proper planning.

But life is not simple in UK.. and this is a country for those who loves challenges :P and works hard..
I guess you are correct but partially, it applies to every country not just UK. You have to plan and be a hard+smart worker to achieve success.
Jedi001

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:13 pm

dont really understand what ur triyng to prove here??

"I get a little irritated when people talk about not coming to UK and about how hard it is to live there" just refer to yr post... i did not quote initially as u said not to.. just triyng to show some reality to so you can avoid some nasty surprises... :)

all the best..
Jedi001 wrote:

I guess you are correct but partially, it applies to every country not just UK. You have to plan and be a hard+smart worker to achieve success.

hsmp28122006
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp28122006 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Jedi001 wrote: Thanks Bro!! I get a little irritated when people talk about not coming to UK and about how hard it is to live there.
Why do you get a little irritated by the way? Different ppl provide diff inputs but it doesnt mean you should lose confidence.

I partially agree with nksg that grass always looks greener other side :P

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 am

nksg wrote:dont really understand what ur triyng to prove here??

"I get a little irritated when people talk about not coming to UK and about how hard it is to live there" just refer to yr post... i did not quote initially as u said not to.. just triyng to show some reality to so you can avoid some nasty surprises... :)

all the best..
Jedi001 wrote:

I do not have to prove anything to anyone!! Thanks (end of topic - atleast from my end) enjoy!!
Jedi001

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:26 am

hsmp28122006 wrote:
Jedi001 wrote: Thanks Bro!! I get a little irritated when people talk about not coming to UK and about how hard it is to live there.
Why do you get a little irritated by the way?

This topic has been discussed in this forum, I do not know how many times and still people talk about the same old thing that in UK life is difficult. YES, It becomes difficult when you do not plan well and then you do not keep a backup plan to cover that. Basically everyones approach is completely different and hence the situations they face will be different. Anyways I do not wanna stretch this too far now. this is my last comment on this topic. I do not have any objection in anyone's comment. Thanks for sharing all your experiences, it does really help to prepare well.

Different ppl provide diff inputs but it doesnt mean you should lose confidence.

I partially agree with nksg that grass always looks greener other side :P
Jedi001

globetrotter_ks

Post by globetrotter_ks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Mr. ECSPOUSE ur a LOSER in LIFE. Dont try to demotivate others if u r.

"A winner can show u the way to sucess, But a looser can make u aware of all the ways leading to failure" !!

Guys UK is still the 5th strongest economy in the world even after recession and according to the Home office still there are 6.5lacs jobs available. Anytime better then INDIA.