ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 when Non-EEA works and EEA doesn't?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tom4

EEA2 when Non-EEA works and EEA doesn't?

Post by tom4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 am

Hi All,

I am Non-EU/EEA, non-visa-required, wife is EU/EEA.
We both live in a third EU/EEA country.

If we move to UK can I get EEA2 if I am working and she is not?
Can we get it after we arrive?
How long does it take?
Can I work in the meantime?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: EEA2 when Non-EEA works and EEA doesn't?

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 am

You can obtain a UK residence card provided your EU spouse is exercising a treaty right. In this case - Self sufficiency based on your employment? Remember that your EU spouse would need to take out Comprehensive Sickness Cover for the duration of Self sufficiency.
Yes.
How long does it take?
Varied, but current averages are between 7 - 12 months.
Most probably not as you would need to convince employers of your rights to work in the absence of the appropriate permit.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Plum 70,
You said "Most probably not as you would need to convince employers of your rights to work in the absence of the appropriate permit."

Do you mean that I can legally work but that employers might need to be convinced?
I suppose that showing them the relevant legislation would take care of that?

bumpe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bumpe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi Plum70 am in the same position here. is a comprehensive insurance the main requirement?
And for me the HO has asked for a comprehensive HI that covers both of us, is mine needed as am working?

Another question how did you get that info were you on the same position?

Thanks man
Last edited by bumpe on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumpe
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: EEA2 when Non-EEA works and EEA doesn't?

Post by bumpe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Plum70 wrote:
You can obtain a UK residence card provided your EU spouse is exercising a treaty right. In this case - Self sufficiency based on your employment? Remember that your EU spouse would need to take out Comprehensive Sickness Cover for the duration of Self sufficiency.
Yes.
How long does it take?
Varied, but current averages are between 7 - 12 months.
Most probably not as you would need to convince employers of your rights to work in the absence of the appropriate permit.

Hi Plum70 am in the same position here. is a comprehensive insurance the main requirement?
And for me the HO has asked for a comprehensive HI that covers both of us, is mine needed as am working?

Thanks man

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:04 am

tom4 wrote:Plum 70,
Do you mean that I can legally work but that employers might need to be convinced?
Yes
I suppose that showing them the relevant legislation would take care of that?
Unfortunately showing a prospective employer legislation w/out a RC will most likely not work (many people have tried and confirmed this, me inclusive!).

However, once you receive your certificate of application stating your right to work while the application is being processed, you may be able to secure a job. Still it may not be easy as a growing number of employers are petrified of being fined for employing illegal workers and would rather employ people who do not need permits or already have them.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 am

For self sufficiency, yes.
I am not sure, but I think only the self sufficient person needs this.
Have a read of the EU Directive 2004/38/EC and the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006