ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Feb 2009 Job search experience and tips

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mnarne
Newly Registered

Post by mnarne » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:39 am

Congratulations kratosvastik.....!!!!

On which Technology you are working??

mnarne
Newly Registered

Post by mnarne » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:44 am

kratosvastik, I've got answer to my Question from Your Previous post i.e. you are into Java/J2EE.

Thanks

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:56 am

Thank you guys :D

interview went on for 2 hours as it became more of a discussion later on with people joining in :), I began enjoying it a bit.

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:35 pm

kratosvastik wrote:Thank you guys :D

interview went on for 2 hours as it became more of a discussion later on with people joining in :), I began enjoying it a bit.
Congrats for the job bro.. You rock!!.. Job in central London.. Ahhh couldn't be better!!

When you say 'discussion' , do you mean the panelists got rather comfortable and were asing non-technical questions ?? What was the panel like ? How many members were there ? and most importantly, how did the salary negotiations go ?:)

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Finally some good news to inspire people! Well done and I hope that you continue to be happy in your role! :D

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 pm

:) thank you.

Yes, the interview got "non -technical" in a way that we got to discussing the business side of things a bit more, new ideas and future vision etc.

I cannot answer pointy or vague questions like "hows the job market" or "will i get a job" as simply i do not know the answer. maybe there is no need to ask someone else such questions as the best person who knows you is you and it all depends on you.

of course market is bad so i can generalize to say if you are mediocre which only you can know, then do not come right now. good chances are its a wrong decision for you but exceptions are there as always :)

Now if you ask yourself about yourself and a voice says you are good, really good, know your stuff well , above all even enjoy your work and think when you have that single interview in the possibly long interview less months,are 90% confident that you will convert it into job offer , then please do come here even now, don't worry about recession as you are bound to succeed anywhere anytime anyway [/list]

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:09 am

Congratulation!!!!!It is really inspiring.....Hope news continues to come from all people who are trying hard to find job in UK.....Our fingers are crossed for positive outcomes in near future.

RichM
Newly Registered

Re: Feb 2009 Job search experience and tips

Post by RichM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Regarding cost of living in UK

For singles:

Rent: £300 – £450 per month Max depending on the type of room.

A decent good double room without sharing should cost you around 400 – 425.
You can get a room on sharing basis even for 250, but its bit hard to stay in such rooms and suggestion is do not go for small rooms. Small rooms are really depressing and can not stay in it after coming from India.

Food: Maximum £75 - £100 Max
Assuming you will be preparing at home most of the times
If you are eating out its £5 -8 for each time

Travel: £ 50 assuming you will be going to central London once every week for an interview

Phone: This is a killer, can range between £25 to £75 as UK mobile is very expensive and initially you can not get a mobile contract without UK bank credit cards

India Calls:
This will be cheap compared to UK calls, better to use SKYPE which is free. Cost: £10 - £ 25

So total expense for single person should not be more than £600 per month assuming you want to stay comfortably.

For Family

Rent: £600 per month Max depending on the type of room in a PG accommodation
You can get a cheaper option but avoid it as you will not have privacy

If you go for a independent house, it will cost you minimum £ 800 which includes gas, electricity, council

Food: Maximum £100 - £125 Max
Assuming you will be preparing at home most of the times

Travel: £ 75 assuming you will be going to central London once every week for an interview and do some bus travel

Phone: This is a killer can range between £25 to £75 as UK mobile is very expensive and initially you can not get a mobile contract without UK bank credit cards

India Calls:
This will be cheap compared to UK calls, better to use SKYPE which is free. Cost: £ 25 - £ 40

So total expense for family should be in the range of £900 – £1200 max assuming you want to stay comfortably.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:50 pm

RichM

Where is the television licence, medicine, clothes, other bills such as a broadband connection and water rates, insurance, flights home to see family, entertainment such as the cinema, setting up home costs such as bedding unless you are happy to use other people's, children's clothes and shoes (they grow up quickly), school books, school uniform, newspapers, toiletries, holidays and trips out to the country, children's toys, remittances to Mum and Dad, electrical goods such as a computer or television, school meals for the child, satellite payments to get channels from home, and so on?

£25 for food for a family for a week is ridiculous, one large bag of rice costs that much. Even a vegetarian would completely struggle to feed a family on £25.

The rental estimates are optomistic even if they don't include bills.

Council tax can easily be £100 for a house each month.

Living costs in the UK are high, a takeaway coffee and a sandwich can be £8, one cinema ticket can be £8.50 or even £15 or more in Leicester Square.
So total expense for family should be in the range of £900 – £1200 max assuming you want to stay comfortably.
I disagree, total expenses for a family will be around £2000 or much more if you want to live comfortably, with rent or a mortgage taking up the biggest part of someone's living expenses.

I doubt a single person could live comfortably on £600 a month for any length of time even in Northern cities and towns.

Expenses should be realistic, it is possible to live somewhere on not very much for a certain amount of time, but after a while people will need a new suit, new shoes and so on. It also gets boring staring at walls, fun is important even if it is just a walk to the park and an ice cream.

Regards

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:10 pm

PaperPusher wrote:total expenses for a family will be around £2000 or much more if you want to live comfortably, with rent or a mortgage taking up the biggest part of someone's living expenses.
I agree. Finding a decent two bedroom apartment (not independent house) for less than £1000 is very difficult. Add to this council tax about £150, Electricity+Gas bills about £75. So for housing alone you have to spend about £1200 per month. Independent house may cost even more..

Landlords typically ask for two months deposit, and also rent in advance for each month.

Monthly food bills (vegetables, milk, fruits, etc.,) may cost about £500 (assuming you are cooking food at home).

Transport is again very expensive. If your workplace is about 1 to 1.5 hour tube / bus travel, then using public transport you may be spending about £200 to £300 per month.If you go to a restaurant with family, it will easily cost £30 or more for each visit.

So I feel one needs a minimum of £2000 per month for a small family (two adults and one kid). Better budget for £2500 per month.

If one is new to UK or planning to arrive soon, factor all these things and plan well and have enough money with you. Also keep an emergency fund of £2000 in your bank always (in case you need to travel to your country for some urgent reasons).

Please also note that employment agents are cutting down rates citing recession.. If you are coming from India hoping to make good savings each month, think carefully. For the first 6 months or one year, you may not save much.

If you intend to start looking for job after arriving here, then if you are on bench for two months, your savings will quickly run out, and you may feel very desparate... In such situation, you may not be able to talk confidently during job interviews and you may not be able to negotiate a good salary.

To be comfortable, when you come to UK, bring with you atleast £5000. Try to get a job in the UK before arriving here. Better not to leave the job in your country of origin, take three months leave, come here and look the conditions for yourself and decide whether you want to take a new job here or continue your job back in your home country.

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Jk2007 wrote:
Try to get a job in the UK before arriving here. Better not to leave the job in your country of origin, take three months leave, come here and look the conditions for yourself and decide whether you want to take a new job here or continue your job back in your home country.
While this is the ideal situation, is this really possible ? Even a months leave is a remote possibility for most I believe. It is hard to get such long leaves approved from Manager/HR. And we do need to inform them otherwise they might consider us 'absconding' and terminate us without any information(due to the recession companies are looking for excuses anyway)... How do you (or anyone who has taken such leaves to come and search for jobs in UK) suggest that we accomplish this?

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:52 pm

QEF8DD wrote:
Jk2007 wrote:
Try to get a job in the UK before arriving here. Better not to leave the job in your country of origin, take three months leave, come here and look the conditions for yourself and decide whether you want to take a new job here or continue your job back in your home country.
While this is the ideal situation, is this really possible ? Even a months leave is a remote possibility for most I believe. It is hard to get such long leaves approved from Manager/HR. And we do need to inform them otherwise they might consider us 'absconding' and terminate us without any information(due to the recession companies are looking for excuses anyway)... How do you (or anyone who has taken such leaves to come and search for jobs in UK) suggest that we accomplish this?
My suggestion is not to give up the existing job before getting new one. Please note that UK skilled migration is not like Canada or Australian skilled migration, where you go there as permanent resident. So there is no threat of having to go back to your country of origin.

UK Tier 1 only gives you a two year Visa, and the extension has stringent rules like earning sufficient money during the first two years. If you dont qualify for extension, you have to leave the country.

My suggestion is to play it safe. I agree that, in many work places, it is difficult to take three months leave.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Jk2007 wrote:t So there is no threat of having to go back to your country of origin.
Every immigration system has it's pros and cons. Remember Aus/Canada immigrations applications takes lots of time on application. And one should not think , returning to own country is threat. :)
UK Tier 1 only gives you a two year Visa, and the extension has stringent rules like earning sufficient money during the first two years. If you dont qualify for extension, you have to leave the country.
It's 3 years now. And there is nothing wrong with earning criteria. If you are not earning sufficient money, then there is no point in living in this costly country, any way.
My suggestion is to play it safe. I agree that, in many work places, it is difficult to take three months leave.
It's always better to play safe. But, every thing in life is not so easy, some body some where has to risk somewhere.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 pm

here I am back again guys :D

was first day at office and I am excited to do my best in the coming months as fate has dropped me this job and I want to make the most of it. I am single and money is more than enough for me. I plan to take up a one room apartment somewhere near the center (zone 2 hopefully) after some months. I do want to live comfortably and not be stingy in a dinghy! :D. I am a loner and enjoy my time alone. Ahh the libraries , the places, Europe lying so near ready to be explored!

I think I did a good job on the resume, getting a good number of calls still but turning them down now. RESUME is the KEY. to all fellow people : RESUME RESUME RESUME... PLEASE SPEND EVEN A WEEK ON IT AND DO NOTHING else.. IT IS WORTH IT.

I do not believe recession is so hard as its made out to be .. the big giants are falling, the little ones are still excited and growing. these are exciting times. time to prove yourself and take risks!

love you Java , you dear little language!

Thanks for the realistic expenses .. I agree.

Now I have to get little things like NI number, bank account etc etc.

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 am

you are one motivational speaker kratosvastik.. Try writing a book on your experiences.. might just sell like hotcakes in these not-so-comfy times :)

by the way, some one was talking of a UK CV format in some post earlier.. Do you mind posting ur CV format ? Just like the tier1 covering letters.. just need the outline.. no specifics required..

custodian

Post by custodian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Hello folks..

I've landed in London.... have been on the job hunt for the last two days. On an average I am applying for 8 to 10 jobs a day.

No responses yet. Will see how it goes and from tomorrow I might also start following up application with a phone call.
RESUME is the KEY. to all fellow people : RESUME RESUME RESUME... PLEASE SPEND EVEN A WEEK ON IT AND DO NOTHING else.. IT IS WORTH IT.
@kratosvastik

If your resume has worked wonders... it might be worth just sharing an outline or skeleton of your resume.

Thanks.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

Go to iprofile.org please! Its the template I followed.

custodian

Post by custodian » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:04 am

kratosvastik wrote:Hi Everyone,

Go to iprofile.org please! Its the template I followed.
Thanks kratosvastik.

Yes, I noticed my CV was good... but not great.

I followed some tips given by a few agents/friends and iprofile.org and did my cv all over again.

Three days of the new cv out there got more agents calling me than my previous cv.

I agree - the CV has to be a killer and i mean absolutely killing.:twisted:

So far I have three agents trying to line up three client telephone interviews for me this week. Things are definitely on the roll.... yay! :D

naveen_k_das
Newly Registered

Post the new changes in Tier1

Post by naveen_k_das » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Guys ,

A bit of bad news ... i have been in the UK since the beginning of Feb 2009, and i normally followup with recruiters after i apply for a job. Something thats highly worrisome is that the current situation has left consultants /recruiters very confused about our rights. For the first time today i got to hear from consultants that the job that i had applied for is only for Permanent residents , another another instance the consultant said that i needed SC . Pls note that in both these job specs there was no mention of "only for permanent residents" or "SC Clearance" . My gut feel is that even if the govt comes out with a statement, the damage is already done , and it will take some time before consultants actually start considering us . This sucks big time !!!!!

Regards
Naveen

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 pm

What kind of roles were you applying for?

Also, if you have your immigration status on you CV quite prominently, a lot of UK recruitment agencies are ill educated about the rules surround Tier 1, WHV, and Tier 2 and so will likely make up an excuse in order to avoid work that they seem to think they might have to do and opt for a UK based consultant.

There is no need to mention your immigration status on you CV and if you have right to work in the UK then declare that on application forms and verbaly.

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Sucks!

What does it mean for extension applications!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/New- ... 169878.cms

Guess its home sweet home for me soon :) hehe

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:43 pm

kratosvastik wrote: What does it mean for extension applications!
They all become Mohan Bhargava(Swades) singing.. 'Ye jo des hai tera swades hai tera'..:).. I don't mean to irritate ppl in this tough situation.. just that this song came to my mind for a second !!

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 pm

hehe man be serious! peoples lives are at stake (almost) :)

custodian

Post by custodian » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

QEF8DD wrote:
kratosvastik wrote: What does it mean for extension applications!
They all become Mohan Bhargava(Swades) singing.. 'Ye jo des hai tera swades hai tera'..:).. I don't mean to irritate ppl in this tough situation.. just that this song came to my mind for a second !!
In short the article means the bar is going to be raised.
Regarding your question - whether it will be raised for extensions too? Not sure.
But regardless the salaries in the IT sector are way above the cut-off mark - So, no need to worry atleast for highly skilled Indians.

I am from New Zealand which falls under a class B country according to HomeOffice. I will need to show 35k and above per annum at the time of extension. (from memory)

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:14 pm

The UK IT sector is doomed anyway. If only there are 100 people applying for every job. what is the fun in coming to this country for IT?

India is king I would say !