ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bar Vocational Course--counted as postgrad/masters?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

evilg
Newly Registered

Bar Vocational Course--counted as postgrad/masters?

Post by evilg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey guys. Just a quick question for those of you in the know.

Is the Bar Vocational Course (professional qualification for barristers in the UK) considered a Masters/post-graduate for purposes of Tier 1 applications, particularly pursuant to the new April rules?

It's a year-long, full-time taught qualification. See: http://www.bpplawschool.com/programmes/bvc/

Also, would I be able to secure a 2 year Tier post-study visa, provided I haven't applied for one after graduating from university in the UK?

I'm obliged for any help you can offer.

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Re: Bar Vocational Course--counted as postgrad/masters?

Post by Diokpa » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:25 pm

evilg wrote:Hey guys. Just a quick question for those of you in the know.

Is the Bar Vocational Course (professional qualification for barristers in the UK) considered a Masters/post-graduate for purposes of Tier 1 applications, particularly pursuant to the new April rules?

It's a year-long, full-time taught qualification. See: http://www.bpplawschool.com/programmes/bvc/

Also, would I be able to secure a 2 year Tier post-study visa, provided I haven't applied for one after graduating from university in the UK?

I'm obliged for any help you can offer.
There is a member of this forum alyssang who had the same problem, so maybe you can contact that person to see how they went about the case 'cos you might be able to get more info.
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown

evilg
Newly Registered

Post by evilg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks, I was able to find their previous post on this topic. Apparently they had an appeal hearing in January (according to the post); I sent them a PM but there is nothing thus far.

I'm very curious about the fact that while the BVC, according to the Tier 1 calculator, is worth 0 points, qualification of 'barrister' (which is what you get after completing the BVC and undergoing a few easy formalities) is equivalent to 35. Who could I call to clarify this point?

Diokpa
Member of Standing

Post by Diokpa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:34 am

evilg wrote:Thanks, I was able to find their previous post on this topic. Apparently they had an appeal hearing in January (according to the post); I sent them a PM but there is nothing thus far.

I'm very curious about the fact that while the BVC, according to the Tier 1 calculator, is worth 0 points, qualification of 'barrister' (which is what you get after completing the BVC and undergoing a few easy formalities) is equivalent to 35. Who could I call to clarify this point?
Best to see a solicitor, the HO helpline is manned by people who have no knowledge of the immigration laws...weird isn't it? Don't rely on any information given to you by the mis-information line!
We are all pencils in the hand of our creator~ Unknown