ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WorkPermit to Tier1 without Passport / Special Circumstances

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blue78
Newly Registered

WorkPermit to Tier1 without Passport / Special Circumstances

Post by blue78 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi all,

for the last 2.5 years I've been working in the UK under work permit. Due to recently announced changes in Tier1 (masters) I would like to switch my WP to Tier1 while I still can as I've got bachelors degree. That would give me 3 years and I shouldn't have problems with ILR.

However, the problem is following:
I work as a consultant, and I currently travel abroad 100% of the time Mon-Fri. Furthermore, I don't want my employer to know I'm switching to another visa.

I cannot be without my passport for weeks, and "need passport for work" is not listed as a reason for not enclosing the current passport when submitting application for Tier1.

Have you got an idea how I could avoid sending my current passport? I could potentially personally present my passport on a certain day, or I could leave it for a week in the worst case, but not longer.

I can send my UK driving license and my old expired passport with WorkPermit in it in case that helps.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your answers!
Last edited by blue78 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:04 pm

If you leave the UK, your outstanding application with the Home Office is considered withdrawn as far as I am aware.

If you think you won't get caught, remember you get checked on the way back in.

blue78
Newly Registered

Post by blue78 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks PaperPusher, I had no idea such rule exist.

I feel completely helpless in this case, I'm in between my employer, new rules for Tier1 and the inability to surrender my passport for few weeks. It seems it is impossible for me to get Tier1 in these circumstances.

I sent an email to BA explaining the situation and asking for advice. Let's see what's going to happen.

docavril
Newly Registered

Post by docavril » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Did u recv a reply from the UK BA?

blue78
Newly Registered

Post by blue78 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi docavril,

no, I have not received an answer from BA, I'm still waiting. Fingers crossed, but I doubt they will make an exception...

Cheers

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Blue,

The link below could be a good news for you..

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... sopendoors

I am not 100% sure how it works.. but you can look for more details on this.. PIA (Same Day service)...

Issue is it starts from 6th April....but they taking appointments for these categories from 2 March 2009.....

Not sure if they will take your application under existing rules or new Masters one.. if you book the appointment now for 6th April.....

apologies for any confusion...

blue78
Newly Registered

Post by blue78 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi nksg,

thanks for the information. You're right, the question is which date they are taking as the date of application. The date when you make an appointment, or the date of appointment.

I need to check that... Anyway, I might even try to send application with driving license and a letter explaining the situation and that I can present my passport later in one of their offices...

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:32 pm

If you do that so that you can be out of the UK, be prepared for your application to be refused.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Is it really a problem if your employer finds out that you are applying for Tier 1? It does not necessarily mean that you are looking to leave their company, but instead making things easier for them and you...

blue78
Newly Registered

Post by blue78 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Aaarrrgh, again that. There is really no way around it... this situation is so frustrating, you move to the country with many expectations, lots of plans, you sacrifise a lot and just when you're nearly there they change immigration rules...

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:05 pm

blue78 wrote:Aaarrrgh, again that. There is really no way around it... this situation is so frustrating, you move to the country with many expectations, lots of plans, you sacrifise a lot and just when you're nearly there they change immigration rules...
I can empathise with your sentiments, but is it really so bad that your employer finds out about your Tier 1 application?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Remember they do not own you even though they sponsored a work permit for you. If they cause trouble for you because you are on Tier 1, see a solicitor & tell them that you are going to.

Employers in the UK as branches of Indian firms seem to have a terrible attitude to their employees. Is this the situation in your case?