ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes Very soon in Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

k_traut
Newly Registered

Post by k_traut » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi everyone here,

By this moment I was planning to apply for Tier 1 General visa in May 2009 (i had formed required deposit at the end of the January, so i can't apply earlier due to the 3 months timing requirement). So these new April changes will affect me.

Maybe it's my fault and inattention, but as far as i understood some details were not discussed here still. I am sorry if not and in this case please give me a link where it was explained. Thank you.

So, the first thing is about Master Degree requirement. Are these changes about foreign diplomas of possible immigrants like me or about their comparable British degrees?

For example my Russian Master Degree was considered comparable to British Bachelor (Honours) by NARIC in December 2008. Will there be an opportunity for me to apply after April? I am Russian Master but British Bachelor.

There is one another question about the annual income requirement. Is that 20000 GBP level mentioned obligatory to achieve *without* a coefficient which is different for every country, or this amount of money is a mandatory minimum *after* the coefficient applied?

In the worst case those who apply for Tier 1 General must be holding British Master Degree and have 20000 GBP earned previous year without any multipliers or coefficients.

So, as you can see, with the current point system is will be HUGE points overkill (35 points for British Master Degree and plenty of income points after coefficient applied) even for those who barely fits in the new requirements. Well, that's irrational - the point system must change too (either calculation formula or required minimal points level to achieve).

But there was *nothing* told about points calculation changing. Maybe they will just reveal it by April - and maybe there is still a chance that the requirements are not so tight: only foreign Master Degree is mandatory and so on?

Can somebody clear this out? I'm stuck. Sorry for a long message here.

unfairworld
Newly Registered

Post by unfairworld » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:15 pm

maximux79 wrote:I've just read the details mentioned in he link below....I found the following details in the same link

""It applies if you are in the United Kingdom in any category except as a highly skilled worker (Tier 1 General) or under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme. If you are already in either of these two categories, you should read the section on extending your stay.

You should read the section on eligibility first, to make sure you meet the requirements to apply."""

This would clearly help....

unfairworld wrote:
InUkOnHsmp wrote:Hi aaammmiii,

What you say there is intriguing.

I came to the Uk on an hsmp visa in January 2008, and my initial hsmp visa expires January 2010. Do you mean to say that I can apply for an extension in the first week of March 2009 and get a 3 years extension starting March 2009? Note that I am just a graduate.

From your post I got the impression that this would not have been possible earlier, as I would not have been able to apply more than 5 weeks before the expiry, but now it is perfectly possible! Please clarify.

I am asking you this as I have just lost my job to redundancy and going by the state of the job market, can foresee problems with earning criteria at the time of extension. However, if I can get an extension now, it would be the best way out.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards
well for you I would advise to switch to tier 1 right now as you might easily fulfill the criteria which may get dffcult laterz as you are redundant, I personally do believe you can switch to tier 1.. acc to:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... s/#header1

any other experienced person suggstion will be appreciated

well that suggests, that if you have tier 1 or hsmp, you can and should be extending, fairly logical, but at the same time if you have hsmp, then you are permitted to switch into tier 1 as well, or otherwise whats the point of mentioning hsmp in list of categories from which u can switch to tier 1..
please correct me if i am wrong,

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:39 pm

I think the HSMP mentioned in the switching list may be he old HSMP (JR)...I may be wrong...this is jusy speculaion....
unfairworld wrote:
maximux79 wrote:I've just read the details mentioned in he link below....I found the following details in the same link

""It applies if you are in the United Kingdom in any category except as a highly skilled worker (Tier 1 General) or under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme. If you are already in either of these two categories, you should read the section on extending your stay.

You should read the section on eligibility first, to make sure you meet the requirements to apply."""

unfairworld wrote:

I came to the Uk on an hsmp visa in January 2008, and my initial hsmp visa expires January 2010. Do you mean to say that I can apply for an extension in the first week of March 2009 and get a 3 years extension starting March 2009? Note that I am just a graduate.

From your post I got the impression that this would not have been possible earlier, as I would not have been able to apply more than 5 weeks before the expiry, but now it is perfectly possible! Please clarify.

I am asking you this as I have just lost my job to redundancy and going by the state of the job market, can foresee problems with earning criteria at the time of extension. However, if I can get an extension now, it would be the best way out.

Regards
well for you I would advise to switch to tier 1 right now as you might easily fulfill the criteria which may get dffcult laterz as you are redundant, I personally do believe you can switch to tier 1.. acc to:

well that suggests, that if you have tier 1 or hsmp, you can and should be extending, fairly logical, but at the same time if you have hsmp, then you are permitted to switch into tier 1 as well, or otherwise whats the point of mentioning hsmp in list of categories from which u can switch to tier 1..

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Regarding the above question, i also joined HSMP in January 2008 due to be extended in 2010 january. So assuming that I switch to tier 1 now to get the initial 3 years visa, will the 1 year already spent in HSMP before moving to tier 1 be put into consideration towards residency?

unfairworld
Newly Registered

Post by unfairworld » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm

maximux79 wrote:I think the HSMP mentioned in the switching list may be he old HSMP (JR)...I may be wrong...this is jusy speculaion....
unfairworld wrote:

unfairworld wrote:

I have found this:
"Switching is permitted by applicants who have, or were last granted, leave as:" -- categories incl. HSMP

on the same link page:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

but i personally think, that new requirement will only be for new comers and not extensions, as the key tone have been to reduce the incoming skilled migration rather than expelling skilled migrants.. but unless something official comes out of HO.. nothing is guranteed..

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm

1. Speculation right now is useless.
2. This is happening now. even if nothing happens to you now, it may in future at someones whim.
3. Understand above: Contribute, Unite and fight;none is going to win this alone.
4. This country has turned hostile for whatever reasons. Reality is do you really want to be in such a place, treated like this?. If you do not have too many liabilities, seriously consider leaving for a sunnier place. This is the message our good hosts want to deliver and if possible we should oblige instead of staying as an unwelcome guest. Its not going to do good to both of us.
5. Even though if you can leave or are safe, contribute and unite as someone else may not be in the same position as you and we need to form a front.
6. Be calm: visa is not your life

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm

I have read all the posts under this thread and I am not sure why all of you are panicing. I am sure that these changes will affect only fresh applicants. A lot of people here dont know the difference between switching, extension and fresh applications. Download a visa form for in country applicants and you will know what the difference is. All those who are on HSMP will be applying for an extension not switching. switching is when you switch from another category like student, PSW or WP. Check page 64 of guidence notes for tier 1 it clearly explains that HSPM to tier 1 is an extension. Wait for few more days n things will be clear. writing to your MP's will not make a difference because they have not announced the new policy you can only challange some thing if it exists. Relax guys

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 pm

There is a Difference between switching and extending. Use common sense guys, I think most of people over here they dont even read guidence notes

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:11 pm

All ITS very much clear and undoubtful that existing hsmp holders are not affected by this new law which is coming after april 2009.so please dont argu on this anymore.
I have spoken not once 2 or 3 times to caseworker and to manager,they have said hsmp existing not affected.
Even if he is a liar and we all affected by this law than nothing we can do.
so please relax.

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 pm

And we are extending not switching,please do understand that hsmp holders are extending under tier1 not switching,for some time leave this issue.

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pm

ssoct98@hotmail.com wrote:And we are extending not switching,please do understand that hsmp holders are extending under tier1 not switching,for some time leave this issue.
I agree ssoct98

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 pm

not to argue, but just to make my self clear, extend means when you want to extand your visa in same category. now the visa we have in our passport is HSMP. so does HSMP visa exist any more? if it doesnt then how can we extand? technically it may sounds like HSMP is replaced by Tier 1. but officially its another category. so even though our HSMP visa will be extended but still we will be first time Tier 1 applicant. the case workes are like robot, they will read a law and impliment it. so when they will see what previous visa we hold, he will see HSMP and then he will judge us as we are 1st time Tier 1 applicant which is offically correct. i hope and really i do hope i am wrong! :shock:

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

YOU COUNT!!

Post by confusedhsmp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 am

Guys I want to make something clear.

1. Do not discourage each other on working out something. Lets be open and observe the discussion here. As long as it’s not destructive it shouldn’t be a problem.

a) I know that some guys are trying to look at things from a different point of view, which is not necessarily the same as I would. But the whole matter of fact is that they are trying to help their situation, as their extensions are due in May 2009! Which totally makes sense given the fact that it’s just a month away from the effectiveness of new rules. However none of them will apply under present circumstances until the new rules are out meaning that their final decision would be subjective. And who knows that you could apply for Tier 1 (I am just being welcoming here) months before your HSMP expires. We have been wrong in judging UK, BRITISHNESS and Home Office several times anyway. The rules are crafted by some of the top lawyers of country accommodating scenarios of future.

The only reason Home Office contested the HSMPFORUM JR was solely because you never give away easily in negotiation, even though their barrister might have known that the case was lost at start. The law of UK is organic in a way because there is no written constitution. As a result precedence set on cases can be extremely detrimental if the cases are given up . So HO is not stupid.

b) On the other hand the argument that the new rules cannot be applied retrospectively is speculative if you take in account balance of probability in terms of the credibility of HO. Contradicting information is coming out from same department. On one hand an email is speaking thousand words being in writing. However numerous confirmations over the phone are on contrary. Personally I am more inclined on the view that it may well not apply to HSMP holders, just because I am optimistic as in person, and even if this did not happen I would contest it in courts. Article 8 applies to everyone and is fundamental driving law of UK no matter where the economy is heading.

2) We should realize the fact that being migrants we are being sidelined by the government just because our lives can be molded and shaped by applying pressure in different ways. For example one day a news comes out that "MIGRANTS ARE SPITTING ON OPEN ROADS AND PUBLIC PLACES" (2007) we are humiliated and leaflets are distributed to educate us. I mean this is totally not going to help anyone in terms of our integration. We are not the same as our predecessor immigrants on 1980's and 1990's. We land straight in to your middle class and progress from there. Our future kids would be much privileged than an average working class citizen of UK, if not the same. We might replace 2 jobs due to laziness of local labor but drive our companies in a way that 4 more are created for deserving individuals. If capitalism is what you believe in, this is what we are. Survival of the fittest. If you go back to protectionism then I am sorry, its doomed to fail as learnt in history.

We all have a dream when we migrate leaving our families behind whom we miss the most. However our sacrifices should not go in vain. There are many reasons we left our countries, probably corruption or security. Whatever it may be, we always thought that we could fix the problem if we were in charge. The only problem was our opinion couldn’t form a majority. However as we are all here with similar thinking and mindset it is time that we fix our problems once for all. This can only be done through collective bargaining. We as one unit can try to express our stance on issues we choose to disagree. We may be small in number but our collective economic contribution is reasonably high given the fact that most countries are looking for Skilled Migrants, for obvious reasons.

HSMPForum Ltd is a prime example but it had limited objectives. We should have learnt lessons from them but we couldn’t care enough. As such we should create a platform where we can at least try to express ourselves to fullest.

I would invite everyone to give their views on the above and request my seniors to help us out. No suggestion is bad suggestion.

Key facts:

- If there are 100,000 of us (taking a pessimistic view of our strength) with an average earning of £20,000 yearly, our total contribution per year is more £2,000,000,000 (2 Billion). And I bet we are more than double my estimate if not treble. Enough to bail out some companies.

- We don’t rely on state benefits at all and our outlook of life is totally different to common UK population. There is less than 10% chances that some may choose to claim benefits after obtaining their citizenships.

- We bring more jobs to UK due to our efficiency and also level out the inflation.

Thank you for taking your time out to read my long heart felt opinion.

If you hadn’t realized your power its not your fault. Our brains are mightier. All we need to do is get connected.

Problems we need to solve:

- unfair rules
- press
- employers (in terms of discrimination against hiring Tier 1 migrants, it shouldn’t be and I have already spoken to Human Rights Group who are ready to back us given the laws and rules)
- MANY MORE!!!!

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 am

Yes Confused be optimistic,lets imagine if they dont extend our visas,dont worry we will fight in courts,even we signed declaration,we can fight,so dont worry.
Basically last JR hsmp is a big blow to HO,and they dont repeat mistake,even we have given them consent by signing application,soon we get written confimation from them about this.

Nion its a hsmp visa,wording not matters,all matters is law,last time all who are on hsmp get refused because new law of hsmp applied on them,this time we replaced by tier1(G),and its hsmp in other words,but wording which we get from HO is that :all fresh tier1 application deals with new law:
But again crystal clear day is ist of april that became april fool for us,if all their words are just a lie,but be optimistic,HO case workers dont lie they just follow guidelines and what they telling us,they read them from official papers.

Nion we are 5 guys here and everyday we discuss abt future here not leaving UK.
remain in a bunch no one can break it,HO already messed with PSW applications,as many applicants are in court because of colleges issues,so Hope so all be fine with HSMP holders.
cheer

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am

**deleted**
Last edited by confusedhsmp on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 am

CONFUSED DONT BE CONFUSED THATS NOT FOR US,CHECK DATES,THEY ARE DISCUSSING ABT RECCESSION AND CURRENT PBS,SO BETTER DELETE IT,IT CONFUSED MORE,I REPEAT

NEW LAW NOT AFFECTS EXISTING HSMP HOLDERS.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am

Deleted. Got it. My fault. Thanks for correcting me

hjafary
Newly Registered

Post by hjafary » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 am

z00ps00p
United Kingdom

Post by z00ps00p » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:25 am

Apparently WPCustomers is no longer answering email regarding Tier 1−there's a separate address, UKBApublicenquiries.
Please note that all Tier 1 application enquiries by email should be made to:
UKBApublicenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk please resend your enquiry to this address.

vks

Post by vks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:21 am

When have they answered in the first place? Now that they have changed the address!

Apparently WPCustomers is no longer answering email regarding Tier 1−there's a separate address, UKBApublicenquiries.

Quote:
Please note that all Tier 1 application enquiries by email should be made to:
UKBApublicenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk please resend your enquiry to this address.
Regards,
vks

vks

Post by vks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 am

Friends,

How many MPs have responded to you! Probably 1 response in this thread!

We are procrastinating too much before the rules are outlined!

In any case, as confused as everyone and 'Confused' any discussion should be constructive, so we do not scramble at the last moment
Regards,
vks

aaammmiii

Post by aaammmiii » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 am

Regards
I would recommend that you call 0870 606 7766 or email them before you apply, also get all your documents ready.

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 am

Please note that this email address

UKBApublicenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk was given to me around 3/4 months back when I asked some question about extending HSMP > TierOne

So dont read much into it that all of a sudden they gave a new email address !

naveen_k_das
Newly Registered

Post by naveen_k_das » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:36 am

Guys ,

Pls note ... all of us currently in the Uk or planning to come to the UK have the right to vote for the coming elections since india belongs to the common wealth

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/who_can_re ... _vote.aspx

So do register and be prepared ....

Regards
Naveen

bruceb
United Kingdom

Post by bruceb » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 am

Difference is Resident and Migrant, you qualify to this only if you are a resident of UK & citizen of common wealth country!