ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes Very soon in Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saqib389

Post by saqib389 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 am

I have ONE QUESTION THAT WHAT WILL BE POINTS SYSTEM HERE AFTER THE NEW RULES ?

£16,000 - £17,000 5
£18,000 - £19,999 10
£20,000 - £22,999 15
£23,000 - £25,999 20
£26,000 - £28,999 25
£29,000 - £31,999 30
£32,000 - £34,999 35
£35,000 - £39,999 40
£40,000 + 45

so what CHANGES WILL IT BE ON THE ABOVE TABLE ?

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am

No one knows mate...if we had known then there wont be anyone discussing on this thread....
saqib389 wrote:I have ONE QUESTION THAT WHAT WILL BE POINTS SYSTEM HERE AFTER THE NEW RULES ?

£16,000 - £17,000 5
£18,000 - £19,999 10
£20,000 - £22,999 15
£23,000 - £25,999 20
£26,000 - £28,999 25
£29,000 - £31,999 30
£32,000 - £34,999 35
£35,000 - £39,999 40
£40,000 + 45

so what CHANGES WILL IT BE ON THE ABOVE TABLE ?

hsmpOct2007
Newly Registered

what BBC reported about these new Tier1 changes

Post by hsmpOct2007 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Guys, been following this thread for a while now. I too am optimistic like many here this would only be applicable to new/fresh applicants coming from outside britain.

If you read this bit in the bbc link below

"From April, non-EU workers wanting to come to Britain without securing a job beforehand must have a master's degree - rather than a bachelor's degree, as currently - and a previous salary equivalent to at least £20,000.
"

But again I would stop speculating and wait for some official confirmation to be out. Maybe we should all send a mail through a registered forum to clarify these rules. Admins pls provide your inputs when you can to get these clarifications if possible ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7904393.stm

be prepared for the worst and hope for the best !

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 am

Indeed. Hope for the best but do prepare for the worst.

circa21Ktax
Newly Registered

Trasncript of Interview with J Smith

Post by circa21Ktax » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Rough transcript Jacqui Smith’s Transcript with Andrew Marr (Sunday 22 Feb)
For the record, my HSMP was granted in September 2007 (so due for extension before Nov 2009). My primary interest is whether or not extension HSMP applications will be affected (have reviewed above posts and have seen both arguments for and against), however my experience with UK Immigration is not one which necessarily leads me to believe that the people who answer the phones know very much.

--------
Andrew’s questions are in Italics.

JS: Well we have already set up with the Australian style points based system the ability to control migration into this country really for the benefit of the UK. We have already closed down the route into this country for non-skilled workers because we believe they are sufficient within the country. Given the current economic situation it is right for us to look at the PBS and make sure it is responding to the current economic circumstances.

What happens now?

JS: It should not be possible for someone to come into the UK to take a skilled job unless that job has been advertised to a British worker through Job Centre Plus, I am proposing we should more clearly link those areas where there are shortages of skills in this country with actually trying to grow the skills within British workers (Skills review and skills action alongside everywhere where we shortages) In the Tier 1, where the most skilled people come into the country and don’t need to have a job that we really make sure that they are the most skilled. Raising the bar, a higher qualification as from this April, I am announcing than has previously been the case. Because I think it was right, migration is important for this country but at a time when we have more people actually looking for work within the UK, it is also economically right that we are more selective about those coming into the country.

[We have] talked about people coming in and out of the UK but you can’t change the rules regarding the EU… talking overwhelmingly about people coming from Pakistan and India and some from Africa people will say in effect this is dearly beloved. This is targeting people from black and brown skin and not targeting people from Europe

JS: Well it genuinely isn’t. I hope in our debate about immigration we have gotten beyond that. We built the PBS and implemented it over the last year to enable us to be selective about people who come into this country in order to work.

2/3 of people (foreign workers born outside the UK) are from outside the EU.

JS; Interesting(ly) what we know, those people travelling within the EU, there are fewer of those coming to the UK. [Workers registration scheme and Tory bashing et al].

There have been rumours or indications that you want to clamp down on the families of migrant workers coming here. Can you legally do that?

JS: What I think it is important this is not able to prejudice but about what is best for the British economy and British workers. That is why I have asked the MAC , headed by David Metcalf to look both at whether or not there is more that we need for those who are coming here for skilled jobs.

Coming back to the question, can you stop the families of migrant workers coming here if you wanted to do that?

JS: We have not decided what we want to do but we have asked David Metcalfe of the MAC to look at the economic impact of the dependants of migrants who come here; their access to the labour market, the extent to which they as well as families need to demonstrate the contribution on the UK economy. It is important that we base that on evidence.

You are having to do this in part because of one of the most catastrophic sound bites of recent history; British jobs for British workers.

JS: No we are doing this because we said when we set up the PBS that we were setting it up in order to make sure that migration worked for the benefit of the UK economy that we controlled it in order to make sure that those who came here helped the UK

Do you think that during the good years, too many people came in?

JS; No, I think migration has played a very important role in the UK economy in periods of growth. There is an economic analysis about the contribution of migration, I think it is right in the circumstance we are in at the moment that that we look at being more selective at getting the skills from outside that we need and developing the skills within the UK that we need for when we come out of this recession so when we need home-grown and migrant skills

saqib389

24th Feb Announcement

Post by saqib389 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:00 pm

Changes to some work routes of the UK's immigration system

24 February 2009

The UK Border Agency has confirmed that its press release about changes to Tiers 1 and 2 of the Points Based System of immigration does not apply to Tier 1 (Post-Study Work). We do not yet have any details of the changes which will apply to Tier 1 (General) and Tier 2 from 1 April.

Source: http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/student/index.php

AlwaysCool
Newly Registered

Alternative For HSMP Holders

Post by AlwaysCool » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:20 pm

How about this, apply now for switch for Tier-1 before April 2009.

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:22 pm

be careful of your words "switch" or "extension" as you will find in the application form available as of now on their website.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Re: Alternative For HSMP Holders

Post by nionlight » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:24 pm

AlwaysCool wrote:How about this, apply now for switch for Tier-1 before April 2009.
then you will be losing the time that left over in your current HSMP visa. because if you apply more then 5 weeks earlier of you current visa expiry date then in general, your visa will be start from the visa approval date. that means after 3 years u need another extension to qualify for ILR 5 year rule. and offcourse at that time the new rule will apply.

Gob00st

Post by Gob00st » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:29 pm

nionlight wrote:
AlwaysCool wrote:How about this, apply now for switch for Tier-1 before April 2009.
then you will be losing the time that left over in your current HSMP visa. because if you apply more then 5 weeks earlier of you current visa expiry date then in general, your visa will be start from the visa approval date. that means after 3 years u need another extension to qualify for ILR 5 year rule. and offcourse at that time the new rule will apply.
Plus, the current police(If no further change will be introduced) might need to be applied when you try to extend after 3 years.
Which virtually makes no difference even if you switch to Tier1 now.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote:
Plus, the current police(If no further change will be introduced) might need to be applied when you try to extend after 3 years.
thats is correct gob0st, but just want to clearup something. even though the rule will apply after 3 years but it will still be better for some peopleto apply now and lose the time rather then not be elligible to apply after april at all lets say, in my case, i dont have masters, now if i switch to tier 1 now, i will loste 8 months but if i dont do it, then i dont have any other option left after april. do i? if i get 3 years visa from now then i can do a masters in the mean and then again apply after 3 years. other wise after april 1st if unfortuantely we have to meet the new rule, then i dont see any other option left except going to tier 2 which is a hard process.

naveen_k_das
Newly Registered

Post by naveen_k_das » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:38 pm

My friends have been in the country for 3 months and they already have their voters id ...... if ur country is a part of the common wealth you can register and cast your vote. ( india) is a part of the common wealth.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Actually, if you go through the UKBA website, if you are on HSMP (PBS), then you are not eligible for 'switching' to tier 1. You can only apply for extension...
Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote:

aaammmiii

Post by aaammmiii » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:49 pm

maximux79 wrote:Actually, if you go through the UKBA website, if you are on HSMP (PBS), then you are not eligible for 'switching' to tier 1. You can only apply for extension...
Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote:
Could you elaborate more on this please?

Gob00st

Post by Gob00st » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:38 pm

nionlight wrote:
Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote:
thats is correct gob0st, but just want to clearup something. even though the rule will apply after 3 years but it will still be better for some peopleto apply now and lose the time rather then not be elligible to apply after april at all lets say, in my case, i dont have masters, now if i switch to tier 1 now, i will loste 8 months but if i dont do it, then i dont have any other option left after april. do i? if i get 3 years visa from now then i can do a masters in the mean and then again apply after 3 years. other wise after april 1st if unfortuantely we have to meet the new rule, then i dont see any other option left except going to tier 2 which is a hard process.
Yes, if you switch to Tier1 now you got at least extra 3 years.
But I have heard you can not do a master with Tier1 visa, Or at least the time you doing master can not be counted for ILR time.
Please correct me if I was wrong.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Please check this link...pls read the first few lines...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... lications/

Cheers
aaammmiii wrote:
maximux79 wrote:Actually, if you go through the UKBA website, if you are on HSMP (PBS), then you are not eligible for 'switching' to tier 1. You can only apply for extension...
Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote: then you will be losing the time that left over in your current HSMP visa. because if you apply more then 5 weeks earlier of you current visa expiry date then in general, your visa will be start from the visa approval date. that means after 3 years u need another extension to qualify for ILR 5 year rule. and offcourse at that time the new rule will apply.
Could you elaborate more on this please?

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Guys,

I think these are all speculations. We should wait for some sort of document from HO.. as unless we dont see the blueprint no one can say any thing.

Regarding Masters, you can opt for the masters degree course PT while on Tier 1..

I completed my masters Part-time while working on HSMP.

But personally i dont think they will/should be doing any thing which will impact the status or Terms and conditions for existing Tier 1 or HSMP. They have already seen the result of previous changes (JR) and it should be a lesson for honorable law makers..

I would wait for the right documentation before panicking.

(PS- These are just my personal thoughts on the statements made by the Govt last weekend)

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote:
Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote: then you will be losing the time that left over in your current HSMP visa. because if you apply more then 5 weeks earlier of you current visa expiry date then in general, your visa will be start from the visa approval date. that means after 3 years u need another extension to qualify for ILR 5 year rule. and offcourse at that time the new rule will apply.
But I have heard you can not do a master with Tier1 visa, Or at least the time you doing master can not be counted for ILR time.
yes goobost, when some one will do masters PART TIME while n Tier 1 or HSMP, his time still counts as tire 1 or HSMP. but the degree you will get is only to meer the criteria. so unless they change any new rule where it says some has to be in student visa to get points for master degree then its different issue. but for now, if some one do masters part time while on Tier or HSMP, it has nothing to do with ILR time or anything else because your stautus will still be tire 1 or hsmp.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:23 pm

nksg wrote:Guys,

I think these are all speculations. We should wait for some sort of document from HO.. as unless we dont see the blueprint no one can say any thing.

Regarding Masters, you can opt for the masters degree course PT while on Tier 1..

I completed my masters Part-time while working on HSMP.

But personally i dont think they will/should be doing any thing which will impact the status or Terms and conditions for existing Tier 1 or HSMP. They have already seen the result of previous changes (JR) and it should be a lesson for honorable law makers..

I would wait for the right documentation before panicking.

(PS- These are just my personal thoughts on the statements made by the Govt last weekend)
How did you complete your masters in two years? I am also studying for mine P/T but its not finished until i submit my dissertation which is due next year. Started September 2007. Got my HSMP August 2007.

Otherwisse i agree with you regarding doing masters p/t on either HSMP or Tier 1.

The test for ILR is economic activeness of the migrant. You can even study and work full time (if time allows you). It doesnt matter.

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:29 pm

As far as i am concerned, i was on WP for 2 years before i applied for HSMP. To be honest i managed to complete my course + dissertation in two years time span.. I am aware it takes time for dissertation .. but seriously it depends on you .. how much effort you are willing to take...

But i am happy you agree with my point on ILR.. on this.. :)

Gob00st

Post by Gob00st » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 pm

nionlight wrote:
Gob00st wrote:
nionlight wrote:
Gob00st wrote:
yes goobost, when some one will do masters PART TIME while n Tier 1 or HSMP, his time still counts as tire 1 or HSMP. but the degree you will get is only to meer the criteria. so unless they change any new rule where it says some has to be in student visa to get points for master degree then its different issue. but for now, if some one do masters part time while on Tier or HSMP, it has nothing to do with ILR time or anything else because your stautus will still be tire 1 or hsmp.
I see. So switch to Tier1 does make a difference regarding Master's degree. Of course it all based on the assumption that HO will not further lift the bar to PHD or even suspend this whole scheme when we need to extend the visa 3 years later...

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:05 pm

I thikn it would be highly unlikely that they will raise it that high in regards to degree. Possibly other catagories might change but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. :?

Gob00st

Post by Gob00st » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Vanadil wrote:I thikn it would be highly unlikely that they will raise it that high in regards to degree. Possibly other catagories might change but we'll just have to wait and see I guess. :?
Yes, highly unlike at the moment .But you never know, they could suspend Tier1 for one year or something like that.

I think one ppl (can't remember his name, read this from BBC website a few days ago) from Conservative has been saying that what Labour has been doing was far from enough and he suggested the Government should suspend the whole scheme for a whole year !

So what if Conservative get power later when all we us need to extend?
Last edited by Gob00st on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naveen_k_das
Newly Registered

Post by naveen_k_das » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Thats why u need to vote for labour !!!!

Shaunking
Newly Registered

Post by Shaunking » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Guys...

Take a look at this link,
http://www.spammer.com/uk/news/23-02 ... ation.aspx

Also read the second paragraph carefully.

Under the new rules to go live in April, overseas workers using the tier 1 category for skilled migration would have to have at least a masters' degree – rather than a bachelor's degree - if they have not already secured a job in the UK. They also have to prove their previous salary amounted to at least £20,000, which is a £3,000 increase on the current rules.

According to this, the Master's degreerule applies to those who have not secured a job or am I being very optimistic??? Unless the website have interpreted the announcement from HO incorrectly...

Good Luck..