ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

college education in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ritter73
Newly Registered

college education in UK

Post by Ritter73 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 pm

my friend's family arrived here in UK 2 months ago he is in WP visa. He's 17 years old son will go to college here on Sept, is it free for immigrant going to college here?

Thanks for any help

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: college education in UK

Post by Rozen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Ritter73 wrote:my friend's family arrived here in UK 2 months ago he is in WP visa. He's 17 years old son will go to college here on Sept, is it free for immigrant going to college here?

Thanks for any help
He'll most likely have to pay International Fees! 3 years residency (amongst other conditions) is required for Home Fees.

hamid84
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by hamid84 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Yes Ritter, your friend will have to pay as people on WP do not have access to public funds and apply for student grant.

Hope that helps.
Arrived UK in Dec 2000, Received ILR Oct 2008, Citizenship Approved March 2016.

jilly cooper

Post by jilly cooper » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:36 pm

If he is not of legal age, the fees are free. I am not sure about this but it is better to check with the local educational authority. I have friends whose chidren are below 18 (some are in college) and they are not paying a penny. Unless you're going to send them to some exclusive posh public school, then, you need to pay. However, if it is state funded, its free. Just look at the secondary schools structure, the students doesn't pay. better still, consult the school or local authority.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Think there is some confusion between college and university here. For universities you definitely need to be resident for at least 3 years (in most cases) to be eligible for home/EU fees.

joe777

Post by joe777 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:01 am

i was going to send my 17yr old stepson to college, they wanted me to pay £1,000 deposit and the fee's were £3000 for the year :cry:

so i don't think being under 18 has anything to do with it, sure under 16 its free, and further or higher education i think you will have to pay :cry:

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:05 am

I thought even UK residents have to pay on average 3k for uni education these days? (and over 10k a year for foreigners).

Here is Imperial:
For the 2008/2009 academic year the College will charge £3,145 for all Home and EU students.
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/finance/tuitionfees

jilly cooper

Post by jilly cooper » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:57 pm

let us clarify this. if you are under 18, youc an go to sixth form college OR to a local college. the sixth form college is run by the schools just the way they run their secondary school. the sixth-form school is part of a school not a college. a college, on the other hand, is a separate entity. it is mostly here that you can find courses you cannot find in the sixth form college (e.g. NVQ, BTEC, national diploma, some colleges even offer foundation degree). you can also find here the adult education literacy programme of the town and they usually have night classes for adults.

if you are sending your child to a sixth form college, they might have different policy and you might end up paying nothing. however, if you are going to send your child to a college-college, then they have to pay but very minimal, not even a grand as far as i am concern.

just think of the contraceptive (morning after pill), it is free for any under 18 regarding of your immigration status. who knows it might be the same.

joe777 wrote:i was going to send my 17yr old stepson to college, they wanted me to pay £1,000 deposit and the fee's were £3000 for the year :cry:

so i don't think being under 18 has anything to do with it, sure under 16 its free, and further or higher education i think you will have to pay :cry: