ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes Very soon in Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

k_traut
Newly Registered

Post by k_traut » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 pm

They mean that there will be no need for MD for Tier 2 (job secured) but not for Tier 1. That's a quote from BBC, i think they just assumed that a little part of their audience will understand Tier 1/2 terms.

kundalak

Post by kundalak » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 am

I have done my PG diploma from IIMA but for ridiculous reasons IIMs are not listed in the NARIC database.

To enrol for any Phd course anywhere in the world the PGP from IIMs is accepted as a Master's degree.

As per UKBA rules what should be done to overcome this and prove that I have a Master's degree?

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 am

kundalak wrote:As per UKBA rules what should be done to overcome this and prove that I have a Master's degree?
I think there's nothing you can do apart from writing to NARIC and they will investigate if your PG Dip is really an equivalent of a master degree that is the same standard in UK.

robdylan

Post by robdylan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:43 am

here's a thought...

Assuming you have a job at the time, do you think it might be possible to switch from Tier 1 down to Tier 2 at the time of renewal, assuming you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for Tier 1? I mean, all speculation here, right? But would they REALLY expect employers to advertise the job that you already hold?

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 am

robdylan wrote:here's a thought...

Assuming you have a job at the time, do you think it might be possible to switch from Tier 1 down to Tier 2 at the time of renewal, assuming you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for Tier 1? I mean, all speculation here, right? But would they REALLY expect employers to advertise the job that you already hold?
ideally they shouldnt..as to swith from PSW tier 1 to tier 2 u dont require to..but who knows?

robdylan

Post by robdylan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 am

confusedhsmp wrote:
robdylan wrote:here's a thought...

ideally they shouldnt..as to swith from PSW tier 1 to tier 2 u dont require to..but who knows?
I reckon the best thing for all of us to do is to hang onto our jobs for all we're worth....

inna

Post by inna » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:33 pm

I just called the UK Border Agency - 0870 606 7766 - and they said these changes DO NOT affect people who are applying for an extension. My HSMP runs out in a month or so (extending to a Tier 1) - so supposedly my application will be exactly as it was.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:56 pm

I just called the same number and spoke to a person call Nancy. She clarified the following points:

(i) the new rules will affect anyone who applies after 1 April (including extension and first time applicants)

(ii) You can switch or extend your stay from HSMP (PBS) anytime...meaning you don't need to wait till 5 weeks before your VISA to expire to apply for extension/switching from HSMP (PBS) to Tier 1.

(iii) This 5 weeks timeline is for people who apply for ILR to make sure thay complete 5 years before they apply for ILR...

Again contradicting info from others....Things will be clear once we get the guidelines...

Cheers
inna wrote:I just called the UK Border Agency - 0870 606 7766 - and they said these changes DO NOT affect people who are applying for an extension. My HSMP runs out in a month or so (extending to a Tier 1) - so supposedly my application will be exactly as it was.

inna

Post by inna » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:01 pm

maximux79 wrote:I just called the same number and spoke to a person call Nancy. She clarified the following points:

(i) the new rules will affect anyone who applies after 1 April (including extension and first time applicants)
Ahh what a joke - how can they have such conflicting information?! :oops:

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Spoke to Philip at UK BA on 08 70 number and he confirmed that the new rules would not apply to Existing HSMP/Tier 1 holder as they would be extending. But becasue the new rules are not out he said its pre mature for anyone to give definite opinion.

However he pointed that the new rules may apply for extension if the whole rules were changed, which is unlikely.

In my personal opinion, They themselves dont know. they are speculating on the news themselves.

inna

Post by inna » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 pm

confusedhsmp wrote:Spoke to Philip at UK BA on 08 70 number and he confirmed that the new rules would not apply to Existing HSMP/Tier 1 holder as they would be extending. But becasue the new rules are not out he said its pre mature for anyone to give definite opinion.
I spoke to Philip the first time as well - but he never mentioned that it wasn't 'definite' - he said it would not affect extensions at all.

I've just called up again and spoke to Andrea - she said no-one there actually knows any more than the original document that the press seems to have... and they do not know when they will get more information. She could only say that any application in before March 31 would be processed in current way.

nksg

Post by nksg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm

inna,

Probbly Philip must be browsing these forums in the free time and must have read your post :P ...

Guys,

I think we should wait for the right information to be printed. But to be safe those who are planning for an extn. just go for it..

N

umanghere

Post by umanghere » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

does anyone remember last time when they started TierOne when they printed the documentation with relevent details and all before it was actually implemented?
Its almost end of Feb here..I am wondering when they intend to it this time !

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:19 pm

inna wrote:
confusedhsmp wrote:Spoke to Philip at UK BA on 08 70 number and he confirmed that the new rules would not apply to Existing HSMP/Tier 1 holder as they would be extending. But becasue the new rules are not out he said its pre mature for anyone to give definite opinion.
I spoke to Philip the first time as well - but he never mentioned that it wasn't 'definite' - he said it would not affect extensions at all.

I've just called up again and spoke to Andrea - she said no-one there actually knows any more than the original document that the press seems to have... and they do not know when they will get more information. She could only say that any application in before March 31 would be processed in current way.
Just to correct myself, He didnt actually mention "Definite opinion" but implied it the way he spoke to me. But from his conversation it seemed as if he was interpreting the proposal he read in news.

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Right it's obvious that no one in Home Office call centre really knows what's going on. We just to wait and see guys. While preparing in case that it does apply for extension as well and submit your application ASAP.

I'm just afraid that this new rule will trigger a glut of Tier 1 submission that will delay everyone processing. But then there's nothing we can do really!

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm

LOOK guys,nothing will happened to existing hsmp holders.
Applying early creates problem,as now a days plenty applying just for safe side.
sit back and relax.

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:57 pm

ssoct98@hotmail.com wrote:LOOK guys,nothing will happened to existing hsmp holders.
Applying early creates problem,as now a days plenty applying just for safe side.
sit back and relax.
The thing is how you can be so sure when Home Office themselves don't know what is happening? I'm just hedging my bets that's all. Just in case it does apply for extension.[/b]

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 am

Been going through all the posts on this thread for a while now silently but I think its time to extend my cooperation. :)

I got my Tier I visa in April 2008, after living in the UK for 1 year on WP, with an initial leave to remain for 3 years and i am sure I am always on the slab when it comes to changes to the extension.

But if I have to think with a level head, they invited me and graded me 'HIGHLY SKILLED' (Though will never agree with them on their clause that one who had a high salary is highly skilled) and now if they say that I am NOT SKILLED during extension, they are simply unfair. Ideal world talk!

Let us also get the fact right that we are here under a clear clause that the rules can change anytime and we can be kicked out with no or minimal notice. Did we not sign it?! :)

Now, whether the govt applies it or not is what is called their VALUE system and BASIC ETHICS. If they give a fair trial, then the rules wont apply for people who are already in here. If they are unethical, then the question we need to ask ourselves is 'Do we want to live in a country with unfair law makers?'.

Having said all this, it will be HIGHLY immature on our part if we accept anything unfair without putting a fight.

With that in mind ... please include me in this fight if things turn out unfair. I am very clear, I want to contribute to the cause whether I am impacted by this or not :)

V

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 am

I don't think the issue is whether restricting migrants within Tier 1 means re-categorising them as 'unskilled'. There is nothing wrong with restricting economic migrants based on the state of the economy.

There are a number of options for the HO:

1. restrict tier-1 migrants by enforcing a stricter PBS for NEW applicants. I think most of us would be OK with this.
2. restrict tier-1 migrants by enforcing a stricter PBS for FLR applicants WITHOUT a job. Most of us would think this to be unfair practice.
3. restrict tier-1 migrants by enforcing a stricter PBS for FLR applicants irrespective of job status. I don't think this is an option.

I am not impacted by the recent decision; however, I am getting the impression that the UK as a whole is unsure of whether it wants us or not. It appears that in good times, the answer is YES, but in a downturn, its like blame it on the migrants mentality! Not good.
PM

vks

Post by vks » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:42 pm

The following written letter from Dr.Doug Naysmith (MP SouthWest Birstol) in response to the email that I sent him on 23rd Feb:

Dear Mr.xxxx,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the changes to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme.

I have written to the Immigration Minister at the Home Office and asked him to respond to the points raised in your letter, in particular your points about highly skilled migrants already resident in the UK. As soon as I have a reply, I will write to you again.

In the meantime, if there is anything else that you think I need to know about this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact my office again.

Yous sincerely,
(signed by him)

Dr. Dou Naysmith MP

It was heartening to have a response in the first instance!

So the message that we are trying to convey has reached appropriate individuals, who make the decisions. Let us hope that there is a positive outcome on the subject!
Regards,
vks

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:16 pm

vks wrote:The following written letter from Dr.Doug Naysmith (MP SouthWest Birstol) in response to the email that I sent him on 23rd Feb:

Dear Mr.xxxx,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the changes to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme.

I have written to the Immigration Minister at the Home Office and asked him to respond to the points raised in your letter, in particular your points about highly skilled migrants already resident in the UK. As soon as I have a reply, I will write to you again.

In the meantime, if there is anything else that you think I need to know about this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact my office again.

Yous sincerely,
(signed by him)

Dr. Dou Naysmith MP

So the message that we are trying to convey has reached appropriate individuals, who make the decisions. Let us hope that there is a positive outcome on the subject!
Well Done Vks! excellent effort. finger crossed...

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm

vks wrote:The following written letter from Dr.Doug Naysmith (MP SouthWest Birstol) in response to the email that I sent him on 23rd Feb:

Dear Mr.xxxx,

Yous sincerely,
(signed by him)

Dr. Dou Naysmith MP

Fantastic going mate! :) Lets hope for the best and keep working our way.

Have a wonderful weekend friends :D

V

akki111
Newly Registered

ONLY APPLICABLE TO NEW PEOPLE

Post by akki111 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:46 pm

bhavin_IT

Post by bhavin_IT » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 pm

I have done post graduate diploma from UK which gives me the same point as some one did masters outside UK. Would i quallify after april 1st on qualification basis?

DV83
Newly Registered

Post by DV83 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:52 pm

bhavin_IT wrote:I have done post graduate diploma from UK which gives me the same point as some one did masters outside UK. Would i quallify after april 1st on qualification basis?
If your diploma gets 35 point or more in calculator - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator - then yes.