ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success at PEO, HSMP --> ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

valsad
India

ILR success at PEO, HSMP --> ILR

Post by valsad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Yesterday I went to PEO Liverpool and got my ILR (exactly 28 days before completing 5 years in UK).

First of all, thanks a lot to members of the forum and doing a great job in sharing experience and views.

My background.
HSMP (2 + 3 years)
Arrived in UK in March 2004
Total about 50 days absence during 5 years.
Previous 2 employers and currently with 3rd employer (full time) and also a 4th employment working on a 'seasonal basis' in supermarket.

Rang HO 6 weeks before yesterday to book an appointment. I had to ring twice as first time some UNSKILLED call centre operator didn't and did not want to understand 28 days rule and was telling me to get extension to complete my 5 years and then apply for ILR, so I told her listen to people who knows more rules then her and get retrained and put the phone down. So rang 2nd time and thankfully got hold of person who knew about 28 days rule and gave me an appointment at 10:00 am.

Reached PEO Liverpool yesterday at 9:10, parked my car in NCP car park in Rumford Street and walked about 500 feet to PEO. To my surprise, there was long queue outside and everybody even those with appointment has to wait in that queue to go through security. Luckily it was not raining but was cold. Went inside building at 9:40, on groudn floor passed through security and went to reception, the guy had list of appointments for that day, issued me with ticket number and wrote ticket number in his list against my name. (If you forget your Booking reference number, don't worry as the list contains your name, dob and no. of dependents.)

Went to 1st floor, waited for 10 mins. for my ticket number to be called at reception. The person asked for SET(O) form, all passports (mine, wife and my son) and Life in UK. He just said do you have all photographs and as I am on HSMP, do you have proof of your economic activity for all 5 years. I said I have all documents in date order. Then he wrote 'VALID' on application form and paid fees on cash counter just beside it. It took about 5 minutes to process payment.

At 10:35, saw the case worker. She asked me for application form, passport, photos, Life in UK test, proof of my employment. I gave her letter from my current employer (both jobs) and then she asked me for employment letter from my 1st job in UK, I gave her my 1st and 2nd employment letter. Then P60s for first 4 years, salary slips for this financial yer from both jobs and bank statements for last 12 months. she just looked at the tax year on P60s and didn't even looked at the figures in it and didn't looked at my payslips and bank statements. While she was filling information in computer, she also scanned our photos and passport. No more questions asked, then she went to take photocopies of documents, came back after few minutes and said she is happy to give me and my family ILR from today. Gave me my original documents but she kept ORIGINAL employment letter from all 4 employment and gave me photocopies of that.

As it was very busy I waited for 2 and half hour to collect my passport, checked for any spelling mistake and date of birth on ILR and left the building happily jumping for joy with mind at peace at 2:15 pm.

It was a pleasent experience and £200 worth extra spent, the staff are polite and cool. As I took my family with me and also took puch chair for my son. Anybody going there don't forget to take food/drinks with you inside because while waiting to collect your passport, if you leave building, you have to join the queue (if its still there) to re-enter the building.

Next step---> applying for child benefit and child tax credits. Thinking of applying for my sons 'Registration as British' before fees increase on 6th April'09

Thanks for reading,
Valsad

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Valsad,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

A question to all:
The Current SET (O) guidance says, you cannot apply in person (Premium Service), if you are under Tier-1 (General), but it seems they allow to apply in person for HSMP Holders, as evident from this case of Valsad.

I just wonder, what could be the reason for that, as HSMP (New, introduced after 5-Dec-2006), and current Tier-1 (General) are broadly on the same lines?

Thanks,
NNJ10

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Congratulations on your ILR .Is P60 mandatory for all previous years or payslips and bank statements is acceptable ?

GoodFun

Post by GoodFun » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 pm

Can you please elaborate the need for using the 28 days concession. Was your visa short by a few days if so please share your timelines as there are a few of us on this board who are really wanting to hear about such cases.

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:43 pm

nnj10,

I am not sure about applying in person for Tier 1 because I never looked into that matter, sorry can't help you.

Tech,
the receptionist asked me that do I have proof of economic activity for all 5 years.

the case worker first asked me for employment letter and she quickly looked at start and finish dates on each of them and then asked for proof of earnings so I gave her P60s. This proves that you were working, although she didn't looked at salary figures. But I think you can also show bank statements into which your salary is paid. To be on safe side, I carried all bank statements from last 5 years with me but only gave her for last 12 months, even those she didn't looked in it and just asked me that its relating to the account into which my salary goes in and no further questions asked.

Goodfun,

Here are my timelines to understand 28 days rule.
Entry Clearence from Mumbai - 02/03/2004 valid until 02/03/2006.
Entered FIRST time in UK on 27/02/2004 (25 days after EC)
HSMP extension from 02/03/2006 until 02/03/2009. (So my 5 years completes on 27/03/2009).
Earliest possible date (28 days rule) before 5 years - 27/02/2009
Last possible date to apply for ILR WITHOUT need of extension - 02/03/2009
In short I had only Friday, saturday, sunday and monday (i.e. tomorrow) to make my ILR application in time.

to calculate my earliest 28th day I used website http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html obtained from one of the topic on this forum and it worked perfect for me.

Hope this helps

guly3

Post by guly3 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Valsad,
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. I was talking to a friend today who said that anyone who came to UK before 2006, when they changed ILR requirements from 4 years to 5 years, can apply for an ILR in 4 years. Did you look into this?

Thanks

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:09 pm

guly3 wrote:Valsad,
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. I was talking to a friend today who said that anyone who came to UK before 2006, when they changed ILR requirements from 4 years to 5 years, can apply for an ILR in 4 years. Did you look into this?

Thanks
Currently it is not possible to get ILR after 4 years unless your visa is only for 4 years and you apply for ILR and get rejected then appeal in AIT. Look at hsmpforums website, the Judicial Review for this matter is on 13th march 2009 and hopefully HO will loose this case.

GoodFun

Post by GoodFun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:26 pm

valsad wrote:Goodfun,

HSMP extension from 02/03/2006 until 02/03/2009. (So my 5 years completes on 27/03/2009).
In short I had only Friday, saturday, sunday and monday (i.e. tomorrow) to make my ILR application in time.
Thanks for your help. Did you enter UK on 27 Mar 2004?

Can you also please share all your experiences with the UKBA call centre with regards to booking the appointment at a PEO.

Also what exactly did you tell them to get the appointment.

Thanks again for your help.

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:02 pm

GoodFun wrote:
valsad wrote:Goodfun,

Thanks for your help. Did you enter UK on 27 Mar 2004?

Can you also please share all your experiences with the UKBA call centre with regards to booking the appointment at a PEO.

Also what exactly did you tell them to get the appointment.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, my typing mistake, yes I did entered UK first time on 27/03/2004 and not 27/02/2004.

Regarding PEO appointment booking, when they ask you when will you finish your 5 years period, then they will calculate your earliest date you can apply and then ask you when your current visa runs out. If the operator is skilled and they will give you appointment otherwise if you fall in hands of unskilled and arrogant operator, just put then phone down, ring again and keep trying until you reach right person. Once this is sorted out they will ask you on what category you are applying, i.e. HSMP, WP etc, on what date you want appointment, which PEO, and look on the system and tell you available time slots, once you select time slot, they will take your surname, name, date of birth, mobile number and book you. Ofcourse they will ask how many dependents including childrens and if you have spouse, will ask if you and all dependents above 18 years have passed KOL test.

sktuk
Newly Registered

Post by sktuk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi Valsad,

Can you let me know the date of Visa Entry clearance Originally issued in 2004 and date of entry to UK please?

I have a gap of 7 weeks between the date and now applied for ILR by post..

Regards,
Maha

mabsa
Newly Registered

Post by mabsa » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Kindly tell me about parking near PEO Liverpool. My friend have an appointment next week and planning to go by car.

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:27 am

mabsa wrote:Kindly tell me about parking near PEO Liverpool. My friend have an appointment next week and planning to go by car.
NCP car park in Rumford Street, postcode L2 8SZ. Just 1 minute walking distance from Reliance House. If this car park is full, there are other car parks just before reaching this Rumford Street.

valsad
India

Post by valsad » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:28 am

sktuk wrote:Hi Valsad,

Can you let me know the date of Visa Entry clearance Originally issued in 2004 and date of entry to UK please?

I have a gap of 7 weeks between the date and now applied for ILR by post..

Regards,
Maha
EC on 02/03/2004
First Entry to UK on 27/03/2004

mabsa
Newly Registered

Post by mabsa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 am

VALSAD,

Many thinks for information.