ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes Very soon in Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jjkumar_73

HSMP Visa Extension

Post by jjkumar_73 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello Guys,

I have gone through all your valuable post and efforts.......

What is your view of applying for HSMP extension to Tier1 (Gen)..... four months before its actual expiry date..... ?

Do you know any such past cases.... ?

Good luck for all you .......

Cheers,

jjkumar_73

Re: ONLY APPLICABLE TO NEW PEOPLE

Post by jjkumar_73 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:18 pm

This article has more explanations........

.... I have 4 more months of validity in my HSMP Visa...

Now I am confused if it would be better only to switch from HSMP to Tier1 (Gen) or should I need to apply for extension before April 08....... by taking risk of applying much in advance of 4 months.......

Guys do you all on same boat.... wht are you views .....

Good luck...to all...

Cheers,

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:31 pm

jjkumar_73 wrote:
This article has more explanations........

.... I have 4 more months of validity in my HSMP Visa...

Now I am confused if it would be better only to switch from HSMP to Tier1 (Gen) or should I need to apply for extension before April 08....... by taking risk of applying much in advance of 4 months.......

Guys do you all on same boat.... wht are you views .....

Good luck...to all...

Cheers,
Well according to the article it won't apply to you, so you should not worried. But we're still haven't heard anything from Home Office yet.

jjkumar_73

Post by jjkumar_73 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Any how lets wait and seee.......... Thanks mate.......

If u guys got any updates please share ........

applyhsmp

Post by applyhsmp » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:03 pm

I am confused after looking at the qualifications section of points calculator on the UKBA website.

2 years back when I had sent my Graduation degree and PG Diploma to NARIC for comparison, they replied back saying that I am a graduate by UK standards. However I did not bother to argue as I was well clear of required points even after being considered a graduate.

However after looking at the points calculator, I am able to see my institution in the list provided and for the same PG Diploma, the calculator awards me 35 points thus indicating that it is equal to Masters degree?

Is there a difference in the way UKBA and NARIC compare qualifications??

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:24 pm

As far as I know PG Dip is not classified as a master degree in UK. NARIC is final authority here. I suspect it's a mistake in UKBA website, but don't quote me on this, I could and may well be mistaken.

bhavin_IT

Post by bhavin_IT » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:55 am

Even i am having the same question. I did postgraduate diploma from UK. When i put this in point calculator i get 30 points. and i get additional 5 points in experience section becoz its from UK. so thats how it will make it 35 points. so the output of PGD from UK is exactly same as Masters from outside UK.

Will I qualify after April 1st if they will raise the education to Masters level?

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:16 am

Hi All,

My UK visa Got approved, Start date is 28th March 2009 for a period of 3 years.
I am planning to leave India on 28th March ( as I want to reach UK before the 1st April09).
However I have a small concern which I need to clear.
There ia flight( Air France) to London on 29th March 2:35 AM,Now as my Visa starts from 28th March 09 , 12:00 Am , Now I am wondering Can I take this flight or shud I take next days' flight ? as UK time is 6 hrs behind India. :D

Also, My dependets are applying for the Visa in June/July, does this effect my hubby's workstatus?will he be able to work? Or shub he apply under new Tier 1 ( he is also eligible as he is a master degree holder)

I am Thinking about this new rule comming up in april 09.

Tx

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 am

Hi All,

My UK visa Got approved, Start date is 28th March 2009 for a period of 3 years.
I am planning to leave India on 28th March ( as I want to reach UK before the 1st April09).
However I have a small concern which I need to clear.
There ia flight( Air France) to London on 28th March 2:35 AM,Now as my Visa starts from 28th March 09 , 12:00 Am , Now I am wondering Can I take this flight or shud I take next days' flight ? as UK time is 6 hrs behind India. :D

Also, My dependents are applying for the Visa in June/July, does this effect my hubby's workstatus?will he be able to work? Or shub he apply under new Tier 1 ( he is also eligible as he is a master degree holder)

I am Thinking about this new rule comming up in april 09.

Tx

Anh1983
Newly Registered

Post by Anh1983 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:02 am

xpscapable wrote:As far as I know PG Dip is not classified as a master degree in UK. NARIC is final authority here. I suspect it's a mistake in UKBA website, but don't quote me on this, I could and may well be mistaken.
Hi guys,

I am on the same boat, has my Postgrad Dipmola but get the same 30 points as my Batchelor. I want to switch my visa to Tier 1 before April as well but I am having problem with my bank statement. It does not show that I have £800 in the last 3 months but just 1 month.

Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem when applying to the HO?

Many thanks

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 am

Anh1983 wrote:
xpscapable wrote:As far as I know PG Dip is not classified as a master degree in UK. NARIC is final authority here. I suspect it's a mistake in UKBA website, but don't quote me on this, I could and may well be mistaken.
Hi guys,

I am on the same boat, has my Postgrad Dipmola but get the same 30 points as my Batchelor. I want to switch my visa to Tier 1 before April as well but I am having problem with my bank statement. It does not show that I have £800 in the last 3 months but just 1 month.

Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem when applying to the HO?

Many thanks
Of course. You will fail the maintenance fund test.

applyhsmp

Post by applyhsmp » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:21 am

The guidance notes state that check for your qualifications on the UKBA website, if you dont find it there then go to NARIC.

From the guidance notes:

68. An applicant should check the level of his/her qualification by using the points based calculator which is on our website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.
69. For academic qualifications, if the applicant cannot find details of his/her qualification on the points based calculator, he/she may still wish to claim points for it. If so, he/she should contact UK NARIC directly for an assessment of the level of the qualification and, if UK NARIC confirms it is of the required level, obtain a letter and/or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC. Contact details for UK NARIC are on its website at http://www.naric.org.uk. UK NARIC may charge a fee for confirming qualifications.
Last edited by applyhsmp on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

applyhsmp

Post by applyhsmp » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:35 am

bhavin_IT wrote:Even i am having the same question. I did postgraduate diploma from UK. When i put this in point calculator i get 30 points. and i get additional 5 points in experience section becoz its from UK. so thats how it will make it 35 points. so the output of PGD from UK is exactly same as Masters from outside UK.

Will I qualify after April 1st if they will raise the education to Masters level?
UK experience is a totally different category and cannot be clubbed with Qualification category as such.
People with PG Diploma from outside UK, but who have been in UK on HSMP may get 35 for Qualifications and 5 for UK experience.

Also I think another thing possibly that is being considered by the points calculator online is the duration of the PG diploma and the college of study. I have tried various combinations and for some "2 or Less than 3" year PG diploma it gives 30 points while for other it gives 35 points. This way IIM guys may be ok with new rules change, as their PG diploma gets 35 points using the online calculator and hence equal to Masters degree.

bhavin_IT

Post by bhavin_IT » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:56 pm

so you mean to say i can not apply after april 2009 even though i meet other criterias becoz of PGD from UK? or is there any way i can do it....i cant apply right now as i dont have enough maintenance funds in my account...

hardraj

Same unsteady boat

Post by hardraj » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi guys,

Been going through the posts since I heard about this new change. Im in the same boat as most of you. My HSMP Visa expires in July. I have a Post Graduate Diploma - which funnily according to the awarding body and the qca should be at NVQ level 7 - which is Masters (35 points), but the weird thing is on the UKBA website the same qualification is given 30 points which makes it equivalent to a Bachelors.

The thing is this when it is a qualification from an Overseas country then you need to go through NARIC and you shoud be able to get a letter from NARIC telling you the level of your qualification compared to a UK one.

When it is a professional qualification you are supposed to get a letter from the awarding body atesting to its level.

In regards to maintenance funds - I have heard this - it doesnt matter where the funds are whether UK, or Overseas or even in separate accounts that then total to £800 (as long as you havent gone below £800 for any day within the evidence provided).

So best of luck to everyone - this is complete insanity from the part of the HO, a knee jerk reaction - Labour is suffering and they want to make an impact, to keep the people happy because of the mess they have already made. What they dont understand is that it is the qualified people from all over the world who keep this country going.

touchsensor

PG Diploma

Post by touchsensor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I am wondering...I thought PG Diploma is not classified as Masters as it still has a step more to go before being awarded a masters. If that is the case, how come some are saying on this forum that they are receiving 35 points and it is equivalent to Masters according to UKBA website?

Could you provide a list of this PG Diplomas which you claim to be equivalent to Masters according to UKBA please?

Thanks,
Touchsensor

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:05 am

Gents....Just noticed it in the points based calculator...
B.E - Bachelors of Engineering...Is it a normal bachelors degree or comes under 'professional examinations'?....we get 35 points to Master's degree

I can see lots of other Engineering Institutions under professional examiniations category....

Has anyone used NARIC cartificatificate in the past to see if B.E people can apply under professional examinations...

Cheers

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:42 am

To be precise, found that BE is stated as Master's degree under 'professional examinations' category...Has anyone got NARIC document for BE degree in the recenebt months?

Cheers
maximux79 wrote:Gents....Just noticed it in the points based calculator...
B.E - Bachelors of Engineering...Is it a normal bachelors degree or comes under 'professional examinations'?....we get 35 points to Master's degree

I can see lots of other Engineering Institutions under professional examiniations category....

Has anyone used NARIC cartificatificate in the past to see if B.E people can apply under professional examinations...

Cheers

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Post by jimmymcad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I got my HSMP valid from sep 2007 to sep 2009, therefore i am in the same boat. Though I am elgible somehow to get Tier1 now, but this would lead me to apply for another extension in the end. My worries are still there and I have sent the email to MP of my area: Rt Hon Tony McNulty.

Hope the new rules has nothing to do with existing HSMP application. What do you guys suggest, if one is eligible for switching to Tier1 now? Should he/she apply then and there? Please suggest

maximux79

Re: Same unsteady boat

Post by maximux79 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Dies anyone know, what degress/courses classify as professional courses...In India, I've heard that B.E/M.B.B.S/MCA/MBA etc are classified as professional degress..

Is it true? Under points calculator I can see all Engineeering institutions and other business schools mentioned for India...does nayone have any idea about this...

hardraj wrote:Hi guys,

Been going through the posts since I heard about this new change. Im in the same boat as most of you. My HSMP Visa expires in July. I have a Post Graduate Diploma - which funnily according to the awarding body and the qca should be at NVQ level 7 - which is Masters (35 points), but the weird thing is on the UKBA website the same qualification is given 30 points which makes it equivalent to a Bachelors.

The thing is this when it is a qualification from an Overseas country then you need to go through NARIC and you shoud be able to get a letter from NARIC telling you the level of your qualification compared to a UK one.

When it is a professional qualification you are supposed to get a letter from the awarding body atesting to its level.

In regards to maintenance funds - I have heard this - it doesnt matter where the funds are whether UK, or Overseas or even in separate accounts that then total to £800 (as long as you havent gone below £800 for any day within the evidence provided).

So best of luck to everyone - this is complete insanity from the part of the HO, a knee jerk reaction - Labour is suffering and they want to make an impact, to keep the people happy because of the mess they have already made. What they dont understand is that it is the qualified people from all over the world who keep this country going.

AlwaysCool
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Switching

Post by AlwaysCool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:20 pm

My current leave to remain under HSMP going to expire in the first week of April 2009. I am going to submit my leave extension next week. Does anyone know whether it process under existing rules or under new rules? Is the normal policy that it would process under the rules on the date of submission?

Greatly appreciate your responses!!!

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:33 pm

If you apply before April 2009, it will be processed under OLD rules.

Cheers,

AlwaysCool
Newly Registered

Post by AlwaysCool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot jimmymcad

smiley82
Newly Registered

Post by smiley82 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am

I received this email from UK Work Permits yesterday, seems the new rules apply to everyone....including myself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We now know that the changes will also apply to those currently holding HSMP status who will need to extend their stay from 31st March 2009 (in addition to those making first applications).!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home Office announces tightening up of visa rules

The Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, recently announced that the Government plans to “raise the barâ€

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Horrible

Post by jimmymcad » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:47 am

It's really horrible, what the home office is upto now:(..

@smiley82, : Can you please elaborate this line again?

"If you do not hold a masters degree or cannot demonstrate earnings over the last 12 months of at least £20,000"

I hold a degree equivalent to Bachelor.

By giving the condition "OR" what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that if your salary is greater than 20,000 regardless of the degree factor, you can still be able to qualify?

Thanks in advance.[/b]