ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IRIS Scheme

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

IRIS Scheme

Post by ilr_hopeful » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Does registering for IRIS affect ILR in any way? Since there are no arrival stamps in the passport, can I still just state the dates of my arrivals when applying for ILR or do I ignore this for the moment and wait until I receive my ILR?

At the moment I'm on HSMP that expires in October, and I'm due for my ILR soon.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 pm

That's an interesting point. I'm not sure of the extent to which absences from the UK affect an ILR application, but they certainly would if you go on to apply for British citizenship.
In that case, as your passport could no longer be relied upon as a record of your entries to the UK, I would advise you to keep a log of your travels, along with ticket stubs/copy e-tickets, boarding passes etc so that you have something to support your application(s).

Excel
Newly Registered

Post by Excel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 pm

I personally believe that the person (Non-EU Resident in particular) who registers on IRIS will be successfully locked on the only one identity, which is just the initiative why the government introduced the ID Card.

Therefore each time when this person enters the UK using IRIS, the information will be recorded and filed in a huge database, which surely can and will be used by HO when in the future deciding any applications, including ILR. Hence, it doesn't matter whether he/she has the stamps on the passport or not.

However, this may leave one question: Supposedly a person with ILR registered on IRIS and later when qualified has successfully applied for Naturalisation and obtained British Passport, but he still decides to enter the UK custom using the original passport (with ILR stamp), will the IRIS system be updated quickly enough to "identify" this person's status and possibly deny his entry?

Hope someone can clarify this.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 am

Excel wrote:I personally believe that the person (Non-EU Resident in particular) who registers on IRIS will be successfully locked on the only one identity, which is just the initiative why the government introduced the ID Card.

Therefore each time when this person enters the UK using IRIS, the information will be recorded and filed in a huge database, which surely can and will be used by HO when in the future deciding any applications, including ILR. Hence, it doesn't matter whether he/she has the stamps on the passport or not.

However, this may leave one question: Supposedly a person with ILR registered on IRIS and later when qualified has successfully applied for Naturalisation and obtained British Passport, but he still decides to enter the UK custom using the original passport (with ILR stamp), will the IRIS system be updated quickly enough to "identify" this person's status and possibly deny his entry?

Why wonder
The website tells you that you must update your status yourself

Excel
Newly Registered

Post by Excel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:24 am

republique wrote:
Excel wrote:I personally believe that the person (Non-EU Resident in particular) who registers on IRIS will be successfully locked on the only one identity, which is just the initiative why the government introduced the ID Card.

Why wonder
The website tells you that you must update your status yourself
Hmm, now what puzzles me is that because UK recognise dual or multi nationality, this person can still choose to use original Passport, which probably means that if he decides not to inform the UKBA of the change, it is unlikely that IRIS can keep up so as to stop this person entering UK.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:57 am

Anyone has any negative experiences? Or heard of anyone having a negative experience because they used the IRIS service?

Just that I frequently travel to Europe on business and this will help me immensely on re-entry.

Thanks in advance.

whirly

Post by whirly » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 am

Hmm, now what puzzles me is that because UK recognise dual or multi nationality, this person can still choose to use original Passport, which probably means that if he decides not to inform the UKBA of the change, it is unlikely that IRIS can keep up so as to stop this person entering UK.
Excel: Once you get British nationality, your ILR becomes technically invalid and you are required to use either a British passport or Right of Abode stamp. If you decide 'not to inform the UKBA of the change', you are only going to do yourself harm in the long run. Why wouldn't you apply for a British passport and then update your IRIS?

Anyone has any negative experiences? Or heard of anyone having a negative experience because they used the IRIS service?

Just that I frequently travel to Europe on business and this will help me immensely on re-entry.
ilr_hopeful: My boss uses IRIS (permanent resident for nearly 20 years but has never gone for British citizenship.) He thinks it's brilliant... He does not have to wait in the non-EU queue, and no one asks him about his visa status.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:39 am

ilr_hopeful wrote:Anyone has any negative experiences? Or heard of anyone having a negative experience because they used the IRIS service?

Thanks in advance.
When the damn machine isn't working?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:18 am

The point about IRIS registration is that it ties your physical identity to a document confirming the circumstances under which you enter the UK, i.e. as a British citizen with right of abode, EEA national, ILR, or visa holder or even frequent short-term visitor. In the case of the latter 2 categories the blurb on the UKBA website stipulates maximum periods after which the IRIS registration has to be renewed. For those with UK or EEA citizenship or ILR the registration is for an indefinite period, but you're supposed to tell them if your circumstances change.
I suppose they discount the possibility that your passport has expired as you wouldn't have got on a plane in the first place.
Theoretically, therefore, someone with ILR who obtains UK citizenship could carry on walking through the IRIS gate without notifying his new status, although why someone would want to do that I don't know,except for those occasions when you're pressed for time when leaving the UK or the IRIS registration office isn't open.

Although I'm sure that one's passage through an IRIS gate is recorded in some way, I wouldn't assume that there is a database to which caseworkers can refer when considering applications such as the OP's, which is why I recommend keeping your own physical record.

I'm very keen on IRIS - last off the plane, first into the baggage hall.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 am

Mr Rusty wrote:
me like it too
but if you do have luggage instead of carry on, well at least you can go to the toilet while you wait

The only negative thing I can add is that once it took a long time for the machine to process my scan. I thought I was going to get stuck in the booth and wondered what kind of interrogation I would get if it had happened.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:11 pm

republique wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:
me like it too
but if you do have luggage instead of carry on, well at least you can go to the toilet while you wait

The only negative thing I can add is that once it took a long time for the machine to process my scan. I thought I was going to get stuck in the booth and wondered what kind of interrogation I would get if it had happened.
Just the same as if you had gone to a desk. Iris is notoriously useless and will be got rid of soon.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:04 pm

UKBAbble wrote:
republique wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:
me like it too

Just the same as if you had gone to a desk. Iris is notoriously useless and will be got rid of soon.
Eh? why is that?

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:27 pm

republique wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:
republique wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:
me like it too

Eh? why is that?
Because facial recognition is being installed and that will do away with Iris.

Excel
Newly Registered

Post by Excel » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:08 am

whirly wrote:
Excel: Once you get British nationality, your ILR becomes technically invalid

Hi Whirly, I have been told by some people about this but never found the official source of this information. Do you happen to have the link of this? Please share, thanks.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:03 am

Excel wrote:Hi Whirly, I have been told by some people about this but never found the official source of this information. Do you happen to have the link of this? Please share, thanks.
A british citizen is no longer subject to immigration control.

Excel
Newly Registered

Post by Excel » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:57 pm

paulp wrote:
Excel wrote:Hi Whirly, I have been told by some people about this but never found the official source of this information. Do you happen to have the link of this? Please share, thanks.
A british citizen is no longer subject to immigration control.
This doesn't seem to have answered my question. What I was concerned is where I can find information that mentioning that ILR becomes invalid after becoming a British Citizen.

whirly

Post by whirly » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:07 pm

Excel: I can't find a link on the web, but this is a quote that was included in the naturalisation packet I got at my citizenship ceremony in Sep 2008:
Some Information for British Nationals

As a British Citizen, you now have a right of abode in the UK and are no longer subject to any form of immigration control. This applies equally to any of your family registered with you and to any children born to you from now on, unless for any reason they are not British Citizens at birth.

This means that your previous indefinite leave to enter/remain, or settled status, no longer applies to you. If you wish to travel on a non-British passport, it must be endorsed to show that you have the right of abode. This is not the same as saying you are a British Citizen.
I'm sure someone can provide a link, or you can search the UKBA site for more info on citizenship.

ilr_hopeful
Newly Registered

Post by ilr_hopeful » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 am

Just my two cents...

I received confirmation from a few friends that the IRIS recognition does NOT affect processing of ILR. The 'stamps' are available with HO and one can mention this in the application.

IRIS rocks, for the moment. I registered and used it and its quick, easy and worth the effort. The only hassle, as I see it, is you need to always register on your way out. And the IRIS offices are only open at specific times, so your flight time needs to match those times. At T5, these times are 07:30AM through 13:00, I believe. More information on the UKBA website.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... logy/iris/

Also, a link to the operations manual:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

It was well worth the effort... on my way back from Europe this time, it took me like 15 seconds at the IRIS machine - that includes the "IRIS mile" to the machine at T5 and I was lugging my rather heavy cabin baggage.

Thanks all.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 am

ilr_hopeful wrote:Just my two cents...

I received confirmation from a few friends that the IRIS recognition does NOT affect processing of ILR. The 'stamps' are available with HO and one can mention this in the application.
Thanks for the clarification.
The opening times for registration on departure are actually provided on one of the pages accessed via the link you provided, and are:

Heathrow terminal 1: 0630 to 1830, on the right before you reach the shops.
Heathrow terminal 2: 0700 to 2100, near gate 1.
Heathrow terminal 3: 0800 to 1830, and 1900 to 2030, opposite the BAA security desk, before you reach the duty free shops.
Heathrow terminal 4: 1000 to 1645, between gates 3 and 4 (follow the signs to gates 1 to 6).
Heathrow terminal 5: 0730 to 1930, on the departure level of the main building 5A near the VAT desk and on your right as you approach Southern Security.
Manchester terminal 1: 0615 to 1400, near gate 20.
Manchester terminal 2: 0615 to 1400, on the right as you enter the shopping area.
Gatwick North: 0730 to 1330, turn right as you enter the departure lounge and follow the signs for gates 59 to 63. The IRIS room is at the bottom of the spiral ramp.
Gatwick South: 0730 to 1330, at gate 90 (follow the signs for gate 95).
Birmingham terminal 1: 0800 to 1200 and 1500 to 2000, on the left of the departure ramp before you reach gate 56.