ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR DELAYS BY POST

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jese
Newly Registered

ILR DELAYS BY POST

Post by jese » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi guys. Iam a newbie here, but i wish i had done some reserch before posting my application for ILR....work permit based.

I applied on 21st nov and was suprised by the speed at which the money was taken from my account. I received the usual acknowledgement letter almost immediately. Since then i have not heard anything. It has now been more than 94 days or 13 weeks.

I wish i knew. I cannot do anything without my travel documents even attend a funeral without starting the whole process again. How can there be such incompetence? We pay 750 pounds and you wait for all this time and nobody even cares to explain why such delay is there?

Iam at a tethers end with my life in suspension. It is very frustrating indeed. To make matters worse, i know a friend who went the speeded 950 route and pronto in less than two hours he was finished. Jeez how i wish i knew :(

ViperWiper

Post by ViperWiper » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:11 am

Hi,

I am at the 77 day mark - about 11 weeks into the process. Are you thinking of sending them a complaint?

Hope your application is turned around in the next few days.

Thanks,

VW

bsbs

Post by bsbs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:40 am

My sincere advise if someone is eligible for the same day service please go for that. You just need to spend 200£ more. But a complete peace of mind.

joe777

Post by joe777 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:55 am

i wonder why the big delays, it was not that long ago, it took just 4wks for most people, waiting 11wks :cry:

jese
Newly Registered

Post by jese » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:30 pm

I cannot complain before 14 weeks. It seems there is a deliberate attempt to slow down the process. I think the government is scared of the bad news headlines about increase in number of residents. 300,000 more in 2008.

The issue however is when we came here, we were not informed to leave after a period. Therefore you work hard and bring your family. Kids start school and within no time you can't just uproot and send them back. This is very unfair. If they set out proper guidelines...let us say give you a fixed number of years then you can plan your life and even decide whether or not to come here in the first case.. Some of us left careers and thought we could advance more here. Somehow for some it works, for others not. How can you then after living here all these years paying tax never done anything illegal or claimed a dime be treated with an ever shifting goalpost?

I wish i knew, i would never have set foot here. Now is too late to go back to a job which is no longer there in my country or move kids again :(

bsbs

Post by bsbs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:38 pm

jese wrote:I cannot complain before 14 weeks. It seems there is a deliberate attempt to slow down the process. I think the government is scared of the bad news headlines about increase in number of residents. 300,000 more in 2008.

The issue however is when we came here, we were not informed to leave after a period. Therefore you work hard and bring your family. Kids start school and within no time you can't just uproot and send them back. This is very unfair. If they set out proper guidelines...let us say give you a fixed number of years then you can plan your life and even decide whether or not to come here in the first case.. Some of us left careers and thought we could advance more here. Somehow for some it works, for others not. How can you then after living here all these years paying tax never done anything illegal or claimed a dime be treated with an ever shifting goalpost?

I wish i knew, i would never have set foot here. Now is too late to go back to a job which is no longer there in my country or move kids again :(
I don't know whether it's intentional or not. But it's wrong. By premium service one can get the ILR in 2 hours time. They should update their website, if they have some valid issue with Postal application. People won't mind to pay 200£ more if they knew that in forehand. In my case I couldn't apply in person as my VISA is Tier1. Funny logic.

I have applied two weeks back. Only God knows when I will get my passport back.

jese
Newly Registered

Post by jese » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks ViperWiper. At least on this board, we can share experiences and the knowledge that you are not alone.

It is extremely frustrating. We can't travel, can't apply for a loan can't explain to the kids why they can't visit their relatives or friends abroad. You feel so tied up. The worst thing is the way queries are answered. Their website gives wrong information. I just wish i could turn the clock back.

mabsa
Newly Registered

Post by mabsa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:12 am

After exactly 16 weeks i got my passport back endoresed with ILR today. thanks God. My case was straightforward. i think people are facing severe delays if their cases are not straight forward.

Yesterday i called the HO about the progress, the status was "Under consideration" and today i received passports. poor inforamtion given by HO.

mansawant

Post by mansawant » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi all,

My friend applied by post on 3rd Nov 08 for ILR on the basis of being 5 years on work permit. He received his passport with ILR stamp yesterday on 27th Feb 09. He has sent stamped special delivery envelope with his application for returning his documents. He didn't make any complaint for not hearing any thing after 14 weeks. So it took almost 4 months. I believe that now a days 4 months is the time taken by Home office for postal ILR.

Regards,
Mansawant

ViperWiper

Post by ViperWiper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Mabsa, Mansawant,

Many thanks for your updates. So looks like the HO is turning the applications around in about 15-17 weeks. So 7 more weeks for me to go, and after that I can start worrying.

The joys of being an immigrant...

mabsa
Newly Registered

Post by mabsa » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 pm

VEPEWIPER,
Just wait and relax. i did not make complain. it is useless because you might only receive apology letter. They have a que system and they follow that on first come first serve basis. They also ignore urgent treatment requests unless there is strong evidence of real emergency travel.

ankurarora
Newly Registered

Post by ankurarora » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Yes it has been strange throughout..
When I first applied for work permit after finishing my post-graduation here, I was converting from student to Work Permit. Got the work permit in a few days. Visa application and passport was sent in Nov 2004 and got it back mid March 2005. Wife (then gf) had even worse experience. She got her WP in a few days in August 2004. Sent her passport in August 2004 and got it back in April 2005. All queries came back with the same response...under consideration. We had to postpone our Engagement from December 2004 to June 2005...

You got to either get used to it, or pay the premium if you are allowed...

DragonReborn
Newly Registered

Post by DragonReborn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:48 pm

IMHO postal applications are always treated like a poor cousin. The rule of thumb should therefore be: If the UKBA offers a same day (PEO) service and your case is straightforward, go for it instead of spending days agonising over delays! The extra cash is well worth it and being immigrants, we are the UKBA's milch cows anyway.

ViperWiper

Post by ViperWiper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Mabsa,

Thanks for the uplifting advise, I guess when you are held hostage (like HO has had us) - just relaxing (and hoping that you don't need your passport back in an emergency) is the only option - we cannot fight back and complaining will not change anything.

Regards,

VW

drasif
Newly Registered

Post by drasif » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am

I have submitted my application for ILR on 8th jan.My Leave is expiring on 8th March not heard anything from HO,need to call tham so far no response saying under consideration ,now what happen if they reject ,my application :oops: :shock:

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:33 am

drasif wrote:I have submitted my application for ILR on 8th jan.My Leave is expiring on 8th March not heard anything from HO,need to call tham so far no response saying under consideration ,now what happen if they reject ,my application :oops: :shock:
All this time, your Leave to Remain will have been automatically extended by Section 3(c). Section 3(c) will even extend your LR till 10 days after the refusal letter.

You can make another application before those 10 days are up and Section 3(c) kicks in again.