ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

You can have an 18 months gap within the 10 years for ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

andie
Newly Registered

You can have an 18 months gap within the 10 years for ILR

Post by andie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi,

I have read now in several places that once you have been in the UK lawfully for 10 consecutive years you can apply for ILR. Now, I have read as well that when you apply, they will condone if you have been up to 18 months out of the country (counting altogether the amount spent abroad during the 10 years period).

My question is, let's say I have been in here for 10 years under several categories, student, IGS, PSW and Tier 1 (general).

Once applying, does someone know if those 18 months can be taken altogether? or you have to be coming back and forwards to UK?

I have been in the UK for 7 years so far and I will be granted Tier 1 (general) for 3 years soon (fingers crossed) but I would like to keep stuying (a masters). As I did my undergraduate in here, I am still in debt for 10K even when I have graduated 2 years ago and I have seen that doing a masters in countries like Spain, Belgium, France, Germany, etc, is very cheap if not free.

So, if I can spend up to 18 months out of the country this would give me enough time to go elsewhere for my masters (get it done and debt free!) and come back to the UK to work for the next 2 years until I get my 10 years and apply to ILR.

As I don't want to loose all the hard work and time spent in the UK I want to be sure exactly how this 18 months rule applies, pehaps I need to come every 1 month? I don't know, if someone has done this before or if someone knows anything, it would be greatly appreciated.

Andie

andie
Newly Registered

Re: You can have an 18 months gap within the 10 years for IL

Post by andie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:52 pm

I am adding this piece of info as it has answered a few questions I made,

It says " leave the UK with valid leave on the date f their departure and; subsequently re-entered the UK with a different grant of leave than the one they had when they departed".

Then it says as well:

"Please note that for both 10 year and 14 year long residence cases, aplicants should be refused if they have spent a single period outside the UK that exceeds six months or if they have spent more than 18 months of the UK in the 10/14 tear period in question".

I guess this answers many of the questins I had..but please still post and any suggestions are welcome, as well if you have questions of the info I found.

Thanks,
Andie

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 pm

There is scope for discretion if you have compassionate circumstances.