ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WorkPermit/extension continuous and visa gap, for ILR in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vinitasinghrajput
Newly Registered

WorkPermit/extension continuous and visa gap, for ILR in UK

Post by vinitasinghrajput » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:56 pm

My workpermit and leave to remain was expired on 17 Dec 2004. workpermit extension letter was issued by home office on 5 Jan 2005. Further leave to remain application was received on 8th Feb 2005 by home office; and finally I got further leave to remain visa stampled on 30th March 2005 according to original term specified in letter issued on 5th Jan 05. But start of visa is 30 March 2005. I don't have more detail than this because all above work was done by my employer for me.

After this I got further 3-4 workpermit visa stamped and never had problem due to above.

Will it cause an issue in getting Indefinite Leave to Remain application in UK.
I was in UK for the above full duration; and also travel abroad at least 5 time since; but never faced problem due to that.
Only worried because I don't want to bet fee.

ajaymitra76

Post by ajaymitra76 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:20 pm

same problem..but gap is 2 months only... have u taken any advise from any lawyer ?

John2009s
Newly Registered

Post by John2009s » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Me too have the same problem(4 months gap)...many of'em told me that the ILR clock restarts even I was not left the country(UK), during that gap.

I'm quite confused though...

If you get any suggestions please share here...

thank you

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Guys, get real. These are not gaps, they're periods of overstay.

tsp

Post by tsp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 am

paulp wrote:Guys, get real. These are not gaps, they're periods of overstay.
Paul,

I dont think it is overstay, unless he sent the application before 17 Dec 2004. HO takes time to process the application and approved the extension on 5th Jan 2005 and he sent the FLR on 8th Jan 2005 and then HO made stamp on 30 March 2005.

I could not see anything wrong out here.

Does it not come under section 3C as you mentioned in other post?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm

tsp wrote:
Paul,

I dont think it is overstay, unless he sent the application before 17 Dec 2004. HO takes time to process the application and approved the extension on 5th Jan 2005 and he sent the FLR on 8th Jan 2005 and then HO made stamp on 30 March 2005.

Sorry tsp, it is a clear case of overstay. From the middle of 2004, new work permits no longer constituted Leave to Remain.

Thus previous LR expired on 17 Dec 2004 but no FLR applied before expiry, thus it's overstay. The extension for WP does not enter the equation and there's no section 3(c) protection here.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 pm

paulp wrote:
tsp wrote:
Paul,

Sorry tsp, it is a clear case of overstay. From the middle of 2004, new work permits no longer constituted Leave to Remain.

Thus previous LR expired on 17 Dec 2004 but no FLR applied before expiry, thus it's overstay. The extension for WP does not enter the equation and there's no section 3(c) protection here.
Hi paul,
Can you please give more accurate about middle of 2004? From which month the change has effected? Is it after may 2004? My WP was extended before expiry of my visa in may 2004. But FLR applied after my visa was expired. In the WP extension letter, it clearly says that need to apply FLR as soon as possible or within 6 months of receiving the letter. I received the same kind of letter when i extended WP again in 2005, which says need to apply FLR as soon as possible or before the current leave to remain expires. In all the case within 6 months of receiving this letter. Is my stay continuous?.

thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 am

senthil78 wrote:Hi paul,
Can you please give more accurate about middle of 2004? From which month the change has effected? Is it after may 2004? My WP was extended before expiry of my visa in may 2004. But FLR applied after my visa was expired. In the WP extension letter, it clearly says that need to apply FLR as soon as possible or within 6 months of receiving the letter. I received the same kind of letter when i extended WP again in 2005, which says need to apply FLR as soon as possible or before the current leave to remain expires. In all the case within 6 months of receiving this letter. Is my stay continuous?.

thanks
Senthil78, if you got the letter asking you to apply for separate FLR, then the change had already been made. Only you know whether you (or your employer on your behalf) applied for FLR before your previous LR expired.

Some people have been known to get ILR even with short periods of overstay or gaps (left the country before LR expired so they don't overstay), but the caseworkers may have used their discretion.

ajaymitra76

Post by ajaymitra76 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 am

Hello Paulp,

Thank you very much for the info you have provided. Does this mean that there HO can use their discretion the chances of which are very low ?

Am I right ?

Regards

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:27 pm

ajaymitra76 wrote:Hello Paulp,

Thank you very much for the info you have provided. Does this mean that there HO can use their discretion the chances of which are very low ?

Am I right ?

Regards
Thanks for your info paul.

Hi Ajaymitra,
Have you applied today? Can you please share your result?

Thanks
Senthil

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 pm

The feedback that we were getting from forum members a while back was that caseworkers rarely used their discretion in these matters.

There has been a few developments since then, namely a court judgement against the HO about what constitutes a "gap" for 10-year long residence ILR (but that did not involve overstay).

My personal opinion is that it's worth a punt.

ajaymitra76

Post by ajaymitra76 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:09 am

senthil78 wrote:

Am I right ?

Regards

Hi Ajaymitra,

Thanks
Senthil
sorry senthil, i did not apply today as i consulted a lawyer who advised me to go for it a few months later when i can show full 5 years continuous residence.

Regards

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:20 am

A few months is worth the wait. The new earned citizenship law won't have come into force by then.

ajaymitra76

Re: WorkPermit/extension continuous and visa gap, for ILR in

Post by ajaymitra76 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 am

vinitasinghrajput wrote:My workpermit and leave to remain was expired on 17 Dec 2004. workpermit extension letter was issued by home office on 5 Jan 2005. Further leave to remain application was received on 8th Feb 2005 by home office; and finally I got further leave to remain visa stampled on 30th March 2005 according to original term specified in letter issued on 5th Jan 05. But start of visa is 30 March 2005. I don't have more detail than this because all above work was done by my employer for me.

After this I got further 3-4 workpermit visa stamped and never had problem due to above.

Will it cause an issue in getting Indefinite Leave to Remain application in UK.
I was in UK for the above full duration; and also travel abroad at least 5 time since; but never faced problem due to that.
Only worried because I don't want to bet fee.
vinitasinghrajput,
Have you applied for ILR ?
Regards
Ajay

ajaymitra76

Post by ajaymitra76 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:01 pm

senthil78 wrote:

Am I right ?

Regards

Hi Ajaymitra,

Thanks
Senthil
Senthil,

I read in one of your posts that if the word 'extension' is written in FLR(IED) letter then it is an extension and overstay is not considered. Mine has got the word extension on it even though it was applied after the visa expired.. Your thoughts on this please ?

Regards

Ajay

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:35 pm

ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:

Am I right ?

Regards

Hi Ajaymitra,

Thanks
Senthil
Senthil,

I read in one of your posts that if the word 'extension' is written in FLR(IED) letter then it is an extension and overstay is not considered. Mine has got the word extension on it even though it was applied after the visa expired.. Your thoughts on this please ?

Regards

Ajay
Ajay,
Mine also says extension. But I am not sure whether this will make any difference. Where did you fnd this info? I have seen anyone's case similar to us neither got ILR nor refused. I don't know what to do.

Regards
Vasan

ajaymitra76

Post by ajaymitra76 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:46 pm

senthil78 wrote:
ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:

Am I right ?

Regards

Hi Ajaymitra,

Thanks
Senthil
Senthil,

Regards

Ajay
Ajay,
Mine also says extension. But I am not sure whether this will make any difference. Where did you fnd this info? I have seen anyone's case similar to us neither got ILR nor refused. I don't know what to do.

Regards
Vasan
This 'extension' word is on the letter that came with the visa on the passport... very confusing.

Regards

Ajay.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm

ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:
ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:

Hi Ajaymitra,

Thanks
Senthil
Senthil,

Regards

Ajay
Ajay,

Regards
Vasan
This 'extension' word is on the letter that came with the visa on the passport... very confusing.

Regards

Ajay.
In which post, did you find this info?

ajaymitra76

Post by ajaymitra76 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm

senthil78 wrote:
ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:
ajaymitra76 wrote:
Senthil,

Regards

Ajay
Ajay,

Regards
Vasan

Regards

Ajay.
ukresident forum... with users called yaron, nics... you were involved in that thread as well... i don't know if any senior will be able to help...

Regards

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 pm

ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:
ajaymitra76 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:
Ajay,

Regards
Vasan

Regards

Ajay.
ukresident forum... with users called yaron, nics... you were involved in that thread as well... i don't know if any senior will be able to help...

Regards
Yaron had a continuous visa and no issue with his ILR. That was his guess if it is extension, it should be fine. But we don't know. Nick's case is slightly different to us. His employer even applied his WP extension after expiry of his visa and his ILR was refused. I couldn't find anyone's case is similar to us.