ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Info on getting 1A Visa -

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aiddamsetty
Newly Registered

Info on getting 1A Visa -

Post by aiddamsetty » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi a little about myself I am a Canadian who just did a working holiday visa gig in Ireland last year. Guys I fell in love with the country and would like to go back.

My initial game plan was to get my chartered accounting designation here at home and then try to get a work permit or green card for Ireland. Then I discovered the 1A stamp visa.

So I have a couple of quick questions what would be the procedure in obtaining the 1A stamp visa? Do I require to register myself with the ICAI first and then try to apply for a trainee vacancy? And are there any canucks out there who have a 1A visa?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. And pls don't hold it against me for supporting Tipp in the all-Ireland:)

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:48 am

Hi AiddamSetty,
Yes to get IA you need to be registered with ICAI. And for that, your application for traineeship has to accepted by one of the financial Firms(accredited by ICAI) in Ireland. And they be the one forwarding you application to ICAI for registration. Immigration i.e. GNIB will get/ask info from both ICAI and firm where u get registered for traineeship.

Regards
Tiggs

PS:
- Am not accountant myself, but few close friends of mine went through this route to get CA with firms like PWC,etc.
- ICAI has full list of Accountancy firms which provide traineeship vacancies.
- Applications are accepted and approved an year in advance.

calai

Re: Info on getting 1A Visa -

Post by calai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 am

[quote="aiddamsetty"]Hi a little about myself I am a Canadian who just did a working holiday visa gig in Ireland last year. Guys I fell in love with the country and would like to go back.

My initial game plan was to get my chartered accounting designation here at home and then try to get a work permit or green card for Ireland. Then I discovered the 1A stamp visa.

So I have a couple of quick questions what would be the procedure in obtaining the 1A stamp visa? Do I require to register myself with the ICAI first and then try to apply for a trainee vacancy? And are there any canucks out there who have a 1A visa?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. And pls don't hold it against me for supporting Tipp in the all-Ireland:)[/quote]

Hi,

Can you explain more about your background such as education, past experience in Ireland (recognised by ICAI?) and Canada? Are you fresh grad? What kind of jobs are you looking for in Ireland?

There are basically 2 ways to start an accounting career in Ireland, either 1) as a trainee with an ICAI/ACCA/CIMA training firm (go through the local exams and required training/work experience) or
2) get your membership of The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants and then look for a job in Ireland as a qualified CA. The visa and qualification requirement are totally different. I dont see the point why you would like to register with ICAI first and then look for a trainee vacancy. As far as i know, everyone doing ICAI lectures looked for a vacancy first and then the firm would have a contract between the firm, ICAI and the individual. It is totally different from ACCA. You do not pay for the tuition, books and exam fees to ICAI anyway. I know people who want to get registered with ICAI before starting their contract but they were educated/worked in Ireland before who can claim previous exemption with ICAI before starting a contract.

For route 2, you get qualified in Canada, look for a job in Ireland with a firm. Depending on your Irish firm, you may not need to acquire ICAI.
If you are interested to get a 'converted ICAI membership', have a look of http://www.icai.ie/en/General/About-Us/ ... greements/
You will need to sit for Law exam (CAP 1) and 2 tax exams (CAP 1, CAP 2). Mind you, ICAI is probably the most difficult compare to all UK, Irish, Canadian and US exams at similar level. This is rather flexible when compare to route 1 as you normally just need to get registered by Nov for the coming exams in May and June of the following year.

Visa requirement: Green card/work permit, employment letter, passport (no ICAI contract required but you might be asked to show your qualification)

Route 1 is a lot more complicated. It depends on your previous education and experience. If you were not educated in Ireland previously, ICAI normally will not give you any credit.
Assuming you haven't done any recognised Accounting exams and not intend to study Accounting at bachelor/post grad level in Ireland, your ICAI contract with a training firm is 3.5 yrs, normally start from Nov. If you aim to get an offer with the big 4, it's probably too late for 2009. On line application deadline is around mid Oct, interview scheduled in Nov and everyone has to accept/reject all big 4 offers by late Nov/early Dec of a contract starting in Autumn of the following year. As a non EU national who does not have an Accounting degree in Ireland, your best bet is look for the big 4 in Dublin. Smaller firms would not prefer to pay for your visa fees and your ICAI tuition fee is higher than Irish graduate (Irish graduate may claim exemption of the 1st or even 2nd year of ICAI exams)

If you have secured an offer from a training firm, you basically dont need to arrange for anything before coming to Ireland other than your offer letter (particularly in the case of Big 4).
I think all Big 4 has a deal with ICAI that you just need to get a letter from HR to prove employment, your passport and previous GNIB card to GNIB. You would be getting a training visa and the GNIB guys would be happy enough to give you a stamp 1 for a year even without an ICAI contract and you go back every year. It would be helpful if you can bring some sort of membership registration letter but i doubt anyone could get the ICAI contract within 4 weeks of arriving in Ireland. My HR has asked ICAI to send a letter to GNIB saying im with the firm while the contract was processing. I forgot to bring my GNIB card to GNIB card in the first time but the officer said he has received a letter from GNIB (not sure if he checked) but the GNIB officer said they did not receive the letter when i returned on the following week and no one from ICAI was on the phone when the GNIB people called them (as expected). It is a pain to deal with ICAI. I couldnt imagine if my firm does not have a deal with GNIB and/or im not British national myself (i used to get stamp 1 even i was a student) as GNIB said they just wanted to see my employment letter, my brand new passport and old GNIB card. I got my contract after about 3 months but there are quite a few people who were not registered even till now and some of my friends are still missing half of the textbooks which ICAI has promised to send (the lectures start in Oct every year). I just hope my name is on the exam list next week :?

ICAI probably is the best in Ireland & UK but it is not easy to go through the contract. With no Irish accountancy qualification, you are expected to do 3 years professional exams on top of full time work. This means 9.30-5.30 lectures at least every other Sat and Sun plus over time work during the week :shock: . The only advantage compare to ACCA is you will get a paid study leave of 4-7 weeks before exam.

The reality is you would probably get more $ as an Irish CA but many people in big 4 would be let go after they complete the contract.

iamwhoever

Current Stamp 1A holder

Post by iamwhoever » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi! It's time consuming and tiring, but if you have the drive, it'll be worth it.

I'm from the US and have a degree in Literature. I am now working at a Big 4 firm and starting from CAP 1. It hasn't been easy, but then again, anything worth having isn't usually easily achieved.

I came over on a 4 month work and travel visa and worked as an au pair. Lucky me, the father is a Chartered Accountant and the mother worked for a Big 4 as an Actuary. So, I got lots of advice. They also helped me with my CV and sent out to people they knew, so they were a big help.

The Big 4 tend to take on International trainees all the time, but the competition is becoming more fierce as they have cut back recruitment. Also, recruitment has passed, but I would keep an eye on their websites as many people get multiple offers sometimes resulting in space availablitity in the Spring, which is when I had my interview. I was also already over here, so I interviewed with a few small practices as well. All offered me a job, so I was revlieved.

If you could plan ahead, that would be best. If you go ICAI, that is really the only option. Scheduling a few interviews and planning a stay for a few weeks would be good. You also have the option of registering with the CPA or the ACCA, and if a small practice accepts you, they might be willing to take you on in a weeks time. With the Big 4, you would usually start between Sept-Nov.

Anyway, it's very duable. There have been paycuts already this year inthe Big 4, with the possiblility of more to come. Ireland has been the hardest hit country in the EU. This year, the average starting salary was €24k, so I wouldn't expect more than that.

If you have any questions, feel free to askin on here or PM me. I'll be ahappy to help.

Best of luck!

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Just a heads up... I don't know that anyone will be recruiting in the spring. The top firms have made redundancies in permanent staff and have issues pay cuts and freezes to all staff, including trainees, until summer 2010. Some are still giving exam bonuses if you pass all exam on you first take.

All I can say is be realistic and keep up with what's happening here. It doesn't mean you can't get a job here. It does mean you need to prepare well in advance and be well prepared, more so than in the past.

This website is a good one to keep track of. There are lots of trainees and seasoned professionals on it.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=872

Best of luck to you.

calai

Post by calai » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm

[quote="iamwhoever"]Just a heads up... I don't know that anyone will be recruiting in the spring. The top firms have made redundancies in permanent staff and have issues pay cuts and freezes to all staff, including trainees, until summer 2010. Some are still giving exam bonuses if you pass all exam on you first take.

All I can say is be realistic and keep up with what's happening here. It doesn't mean you can't get a job here. It does mean you need to prepare well in advance and be well prepared, more so than in the past.

This website is a good one to keep track of. There are lots of trainees and seasoned professionals on it.
[url]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=872[/url]

Best of luck to you.[/quote]

I agree with you that not many firms are still looking for people for 2009 intake but not all big 4 have made redundancies. At least mine is still looking for seasonal helpers from overseas as we were short of staff. Not joking, i just left work an hour and a half ago. I was allowed to take a half day off before assessment on the weekend if i could return to work after my assessment on a sat (of course that is time-off in lieu)

The big 4 may still take on additional year 1 trainee (apart from the obvious one which announced their redundancy plan) as there is a probaionaey period. Anyone not passing the exams or not meeting the targets might be let go after year 1 and the exams are getting harder...