ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Restrictions on migrants proposed to counter losses

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 61644.html

A major new report carried out by the State training agency FAS -- seen by the Irish Independent -- calls for:

A clampdown on immigration of low-skilled workers from outside the EU.

Non-renewal of work permits for many non-EU immigrants with low skills.!!!

Delaying full access to the Irish labour market for Romanians and Bulgarians.

I don't believe non-renewals of work permits have ever been done previously.

Border checks 'may discriminate'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 922993.stm

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:39 am

Hmmm, interesting.
I wonder what they'll classify as being 'low-skilled'. When I went through the process, in 2007, it wasn't exactly easy to be granted an employment permit (I know of a person with a masters degree in comp sci who was initially turned down for a permit!).
I wonder if they are talking about the permits issued prior to 2007?

zafarzafar
BANNED

hi

Post by zafarzafar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm

hi all its lods of shit....NoN EU people are only giving not taking any thing....and what they are talking about non skill full people???? I just ask one question how many people are here from eastern europe who are skill full or educated , even they can't speak proper English......
Non EU people are skill full, qualified. doctors, IT consultants , acountants , nurses etc and they are not allowed to get any of the state benefits and we also don't need them and want them.........we pay tax, rents, bills, etc etc
its only discremanation.......nothing else
why government don't clampdown on EU people who get social benefits,,,,10 people from Polish family are living in ireland they worked for 2 years and now all of the 10 are claiming benefits from the state..........
what the hell is that?
i am really very angry on this discremenation for non EU people......
i am sorry to be bit hard and i am not saying it in a dearly beloved way , its just a fact

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Zafar
I am absolutely in your side in this. I carry the same feeling. We can consider all these measures in Ireland as "institutional beloved" by the irish government directed towards the non EU who are mostly professionals except the very rare. I knew of groups of non EU professionals were brought in Ireland in 2000 (when the boom was there), accompanied from their home countries airports by representitives of the Irish recruiters. The point is: when they needed us they opened the doors wide and even went to recruit many of us from our homeland; now with the economic crunch, they practice clear beloved and want to send the non EU back to their countries. This government is clearly short sighted and will need all the English-speaking non EU highly skilled and low skilled professionals back when the economy takes off again. I wonder if this should be debated openly by approaching the media or the papers.
Regards

nicepecsigot

Post by nicepecsigot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 pm

i think when they meant non skilled workers they refer to housekeeping staff,hotel workers shop assistants .

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:16 pm

nicepecsigot wrote:i think when they meant non skilled workers they refer to housekeeping staff,hotel workers shop assistants .
Yes I think that too. But these are the very jobs that Irish people do not go for. They need others to do such jobs for them (mostly from non EU and eastern europe)

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:48 am

Yeah,
from the sounds of it they want to basically boot some of these people out who came to the country in good faith. I think the ones they are 'targeting' would have been here several years by now.

I sort of get the feeling, though, that a lot of Irish people don't know the first thing about their immigration system here and some are actually horrified when I tell them some of the stories (e.g. a chinese national on a stamp 4 (work authorisation) is unable to bring her husband to live with her because he could not demonstrate that he'd return to China, as the lady was viewed as being 'temporary'. She'd been in the country a few years).

It's not easy to get a work permit these days.
I wonder if it's just the government saying something so that it sounds like they are addressing their unemployment issue.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:08 am

I'm not at all surprised by this.

That's why I got LTR as soon as possible.

It's kind of understandable though, I guess a lot of countries would do the same.

It's VERY unfair on those who came here in good faith and may now have to leave because they no longer qualify.
A similar thing happened in the UK with the HSMP, it got challenged in court, the government lost, I can't see that happening here though.