ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for wife within 1.5 yrs of marriage - how do you explan!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raghu_tallam

ILR for wife within 1.5 yrs of marriage - how do you explan!

Post by raghu_tallam » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi,
One of my friends is on WP. He got married in Dec-07. His wife entered UK around Jun-08. He and his wife got ILR in Feb-09.

I could not understand how his wife managed to get ILR, as she's married for just over a year and she's been in UK for less than 2 years.

Can someone explain how this happened?

This forum topic says, the 2 yr rule does not apply for WP dependents:

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=35480

Whereas the below links say they are required to have stayed in UK for 2 yrs after marriage, unless married for 4 yrs:

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/marriage.htm/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... ormset(m)/

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: ILR for wife within 1.5 yrs of marriage - how do you exp

Post by Rozen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 pm

raghu_tallam wrote:Hi,
One of my friends is on WP. He got married in Dec-07. His wife entered UK around Jun-08. He and his wife got ILR in Feb-09.

I could not understand how his wife managed to get ILR, as she's married for just over a year and she's been in UK for less than 2 years.

Can someone explain how this happened?

This forum topic says, the 2 yr rule does not apply for WP dependents:

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=35480

Whereas the below links say they are required to have stayed in UK for 2 yrs after marriage, unless married for 4 yrs:

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/marriage.htm/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukres ... ormset(m)/
LUCK? :idea:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Not luck at all! Confusion here about the difference between applications on form SET(M) and SET(O).
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 am

Different rules apply (196E & 288).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

raghu_tallam

Post by raghu_tallam » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:32 am

I just got an update from my friend. He filled one application SET O, where he would enter his and his wife's details. There are no questions in SET O regarding, how long the spouse has been staying in the UK etc , unlike SET M.

As per the above clarification, I guess the below situation is valid one:

1. The Main applicant gets married after he's stayed in UK for 4 yrs 10 months under Tier 1 (General) Migrant category.

2. He brings his wife 1 month later under Tier 1 (General) Dependent category.

3. Another month later, when he finishes 5 years, he applies for ILR on single application SET O. He and his wife both get ILR.

How silly is this, through marriage someone can actually get ILR in just 1 month!!!

Can someone disprove my logic?

Thanks
Raghu

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:03 am

Unfortunately, unlike wp dependants, 319E or 288 is applicable.
How your dependants can apply for settlement wrote:Partners of highly skilled workers are eligible to apply for settlement at the same time as the highly skilled worker, provided they have lived with their partners in the United Kingdom for a minimum of two years before applying for settlement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

raghu_tallam

Post by raghu_tallam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks vinny. That makes sense.

My understanding is whether you are on Tier 1/HSMP or WP, you would use single SET O for settlement application. In that case there is nothing in the SET O regarding how long the spouse has been staying in UK or how long they have been married to. So how would HO know?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:16 am

Passport entry/exit stamps?

navnas

Post by navnas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Guys ,

taking advantage of the above discussion and your expert opinions , what will happen if the dependent(spouse) stay is less then 2 years and the main applicant goes to apply for ILR .

If the dependent gets refused for ILR then what about his/her immigration status ? like in my case iam a HSMP ( JR ) case and currently me and my wife's leave is extended as Tier 1 untill end of 2011 and will be eligible to applying ILR in this dec ..but my wife's total stay will be less than 2 years that time ....

best regards,

raghu_tallam

Post by raghu_tallam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:22 pm

According to vinny No.

navnas

Post by navnas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Raghu ,

Do you mean to say that i cannot apply for ILR ??? or if i get it for my self then will my dependent can stay on as tier 1 dependent visa until 2 years completion ??

thanks

raghu_tallam

Post by raghu_tallam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 pm

You can apply. But I guess your wife will get extension under marriage visa. When she's finished 2 yrs in UK, she can apply for ILR.