ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes Very soon in Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:32 am

I think from this past few days I'm becoming more confident that this new change will not affect existing HSMP / Tier 1 holders seeking to extend. So I think we all can breath a collective sigh of relief for now. Until we see otherwise, I will assume that this won't affect us.

notson
Newly Registered

Help required on new policy

Post by notson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:28 pm

I am in UK on WP. My WP is valid until this year end.
I am looking to apply for Tier 1 HSMP visa in June. Will the new policies, which will be introduced on 1st April 2009, be applicable to me.? Or is it just for those who are applying from outside UK.

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Re: Help required on new policy

Post by kzkalra » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:34 pm

notson wrote:I am in UK on WP. My WP is valid until this year end.
I am looking to apply for Tier 1 HSMP visa in June. Will the new policies, which will be introduced on 1st April 2009, be applicable to me.? Or is it just for those who are applying from outside UK.
Why don't you switch from WP to Tier 1 and apply before 31st Mar 09? This way you'll be able to get 3 years extension.

notson
Newly Registered

Post by notson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks kzkalra...but i cannot apply before 31st march ...bcoz my earnings are less than 30k GBP...and this way I will not be able to claim 30 points. But will this new policy be affecting me?
kzkalra wrote:
Why don't you switch from WP to Tier 1 and apply before 31st Mar 09? This way you'll be able to get 3 years extension.

dima
Member of Standing

Initial Stay at UK

Post by dima » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:54 am

Dear All,

We are planning to immigrate to UK in few weeks( we have the realvent Visas - Tie1( gen) migrant. I wish to know, what are the initial documents/ procedures we need to avail/follw from gov of UK once we land in the country?

Like for example tax card etc. Any idea . Pls let me know...
:)

Regards
dima

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Post by kzkalra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:03 pm

notson wrote:Thanks kzkalra...but i cannot apply before 31st march ...bcoz my earnings are less than 30k GBP...and this way I will not be able to claim 30 points. But will this new policy be affecting me?
kzkalra wrote:
After going through the all the forums it looks (not 100% clear, though) that the new points system will be applicable for people switching from work permit to Tier 1 and will not be applicable on migrants seeking extension. Pls remember as of now it is just speculation and I'm no expert.

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Post by kzkalra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:04 pm

notson wrote:Thanks kzkalra...but i cannot apply before 31st march ...bcoz my earnings are less than 30k GBP...and this way I will not be able to claim 30 points. But will this new policy be affecting me?
kzkalra wrote:
After going through the all the forums it looks (not 100% clear, though) that the new points system will be applicable for people switching from work permit to Tier 1 and will not be applicable on migrants seeking extension. Pls remember as of now it is just speculation and I'm no expert.

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Post by kzkalra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:04 pm

kzkalra wrote:

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Re: Some News

Post by confusedhsmp » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:45 pm

confusedhsmp wrote:I just spoke to the Home Office work permit department on 0114 207 4074 .

For your reference the person attending the phone was DAVID.

I tactfully asked him about what is all this new rules/bars about.

He actually read me (dictated) the wording of information he had recieved from his seniors this morning. it says as follows:

"WHOM DOES IT AFFECT?

Migrants who are applying for their first term of Leave to enter / Leave to remain in theU.K"

I really dont want to draw any conslusions yet but expect you all to give your views on it.

I personally think it only affects people

1. who are applying for the first time to enter under Tier 1

2. AND, people who are switching their category to Tier 1from within UK.
The above is an extract from my previous conversation like some 2 weeks back.

I think the new rules may apply when switching.

maximux79

Post by maximux79 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:39 am

Any latest new guys...

Cheers

chakde23

citizenship bill scheduled for today or tomorrow ?

Post by chakde23 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 am

Was the next hearing scheduled for today ( 9th march ) or is this now postponed to 10th March ??

Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill [HL] 2008-09
Government Bill introduced by Lord West of Spithead, Home Office
Progress of Bill including links to debates
Key to abbreviations
Session Lords Commons
1R 2R Comm Rep 3R 1R 2R Comm Rep 3R PP RA
2008-09 14.01.09

Latest news
Line by line examination of the Bill took place during committee stage on 4 March. Amendments discussed covered clauses 42-50 of the Bill.

Lords Hansard: Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill

Further consideration at Committee stage - line by line examination of the Bill - scheduled for 10 March.

hsmpOct2007
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpOct2007 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Chakde23,

Thanks for the update, but Im not convinced that this is the bill relevant to our discussions here.
The summary of the bill mentioned by you above is pasted below from parliament.uk.
For all, if you need details of the proceeding please visit
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/200 ... ation.html

Summary of the Bill
The Bill is the latest to seek to amend the law on immigration, asylum and nationality. It includes the citizenship and child protection aspects of the Draft (Partial) Immigration and Citizenship Bill which was published for consultation in July 2008. It incorporates aspects of other consultation exercises on the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland), and on immigration appeals.

Key areas

* Allows for certain functions to be transferred from HM Revenue & Customs to officials of the recently created UK Border Agency. The customs role of the UK Border Agency will focus on border-related matters, while HM Revenue & Customs will retain responsibility for revenue and customs functions inland

* Implements the Government's proposals for a new 'path to citizenship' by amending provisions of the British Nationality Act 1981 relating to naturalisation as a British citizen. Other amendments relate to the children of foreign and Commonwealth members of the armed forces and to the registration as British citizens of children born abroad to British mothers before 7 February 1961

* Introduces powers to control all those arriving in the UK from another part of the Common Travel Area. Other changes relate to restrictions on studying in the UK, powers to take fingerprints, and detention at ports in Scotland

* Allows judicial review applications in immigration and nationality cases to be heard by the new Upper Tribunal instead of the High Court
Introduces a new duty on the UK Border Agency to safeguard the welfare of children.
A further draft Immigration Bill, implementing the rest of the Government's proposals, is expected in the autumn.

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 pm

HSMPoct2007,

thanks for detailed summary which we have gone thru many a times now :)

What are we then talking about in this chain of posts w.r.t 9th march @ parliament ? see highlighted items below !

At least we now have some relief for existing hsmp / tier 1 applicants re master degree / 20 k criteria....what is also important that we need to continue our fight re other aspects of petition ...i.e. ILR / 5 yrs criteria should also be not applicable for those who have been granted leave to remain & are in UK !

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

push_hsmp wrote:
debz wrote:
hey Rohit, it crossed 202.. now what?

Dont close it yet. Wait for a couple of days to see if the number swells. 200 is the minimum requirement but not sufficient in itself.

We need to make it known that this proposal from the HO is not pleasant before it comes up in the parliamet on 09th of March which is Monday.
hsmpOct2007 wrote:Hi Chakde23,

Thanks for the update, but Im not convinced that this is the bill relevant to our discussions here.
The summary of the bill mentioned by you above is pasted below from parliament.uk.
For all, if you need details of the proceeding please visit
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/200 ... ation.html

Summary of the Bill
The Bill is the latest to seek to amend the law on immigration, asylum and nationality. It includes the citizenship and child protection aspects of the Draft (Partial) Immigration and Citizenship Bill which was published for consultation in July 2008. It incorporates aspects of other consultation exercises on the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland), and on immigration appeals.

Key areas

* Allows for certain functions to be transferred from HM Revenue & Customs to officials of the recently created UK Border Agency. The customs role of the UK Border Agency will focus on border-related matters, while HM Revenue & Customs will retain responsibility for revenue and customs functions inland

* Implements the Government's proposals for a new 'path to citizenship' by amending provisions of the British Nationality Act 1981 relating to naturalisation as a British citizen. Other amendments relate to the children of foreign and Commonwealth members of the armed forces and to the registration as British citizens of children born abroad to British mothers before 7 February 1961

* Introduces powers to control all those arriving in the UK from another part of the Common Travel Area. Other changes relate to restrictions on studying in the UK, powers to take fingerprints, and detention at ports in Scotland

* Allows judicial review applications in immigration and nationality cases to be heard by the new Upper Tribunal instead of the High Court
Introduces a new duty on the UK Border Agency to safeguard the welfare of children.
A further draft Immigration Bill, implementing the rest of the Government's proposals, is expected in the autumn.

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:18 pm

this is set for 17th March. But m not sure if its the same

10.30am
Home Affairs
Subject: Managing Migration: Points-Based System
Witness(es): Professor David Metcalfe, Chair, Migration Advisory Committee; Phil Woolas MP, Minister of State for Borders and Immigration, Home Office

Link:

http://services.parliament.uk/calendar/ ... vents.html

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Chakde - from what I understand there are two pieces of immigration news currently being discussed.

The first is relevant to this thread and that is the changes to the Tier 1 scheme/Points based criteria, with respect to Master';s Degrees, etc.

The second is a bill going through the House of Lords, which looks at more global reforms of the immigration system, and draws relevance to the pathway to citizenship.

Both are highly likely to affect many migrants, but the former was the main topic of discussion in this thread. The latter is being discussed in another thread in the General Immigration forum as it has a remit that is beuyond Tier 1 alone.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:29 pm

confusedhsmp wrote:this is set for 17th March. But m not sure if its the same

10.30am
Home Affairs
Subject: Managing Migration: Points-Based System
Witness(es): Professor David Metcalfe, Chair, Migration Advisory Committee; Phil Woolas MP, Minister of State for Borders and Immigration, Home Office

Link:

http://services.parliament.uk/calendar/ ... vents.html
they are playing dirty politics again. if its set for 19th march how in da world they will give enough notice before making it law in april 2009? so they will nnounce full law lets say in 21st march and they want to apply it from april giving every one a time frame of 9 days. this is just rubisssshhh. they are not making things clear just to make life more harder for the applicants.

palxxx
Newly Registered

Petition

Post by palxxx » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Rohit,
I believe we are still filing the Petition. There is no point to drop it. We are with 397 votes.

What's the plan?

Cheers,
Palxxx.

mail2z
Newly Registered

Re: Petition

Post by mail2z » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21 pm

palxxx wrote:Rohit,
I believe we are still filing the Petition. There is no point to drop it. We are with 397 votes.

What's the plan?

Cheers,
Palxxx.
It has even been signed by people who might not be affected by these ruling, it would be shame if we did not make good use of it.

Thanks to everyone who signed.

Vanadil

Re: Petition

Post by Vanadil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 pm

mail2z wrote:
palxxx wrote:Rohit,

What's the plan?

Cheers,
Palxxx.
It has even been signed by people who might not be affected by these ruling, it would be shame if we did not make good use of it.

Thanks to everyone who signed.
I wouldn't mention that when you submit it...... :?

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi All,

Look here, absolute shocker....

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=36524

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 pm

nnj10 wrote:Hi All,

Look here, absolute shocker....

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=36524
this is ridiciolous... now where are the call center guys who said we will not be effected? on page 40 of this annoucement, it doesnt say anything about HSMP. all it says about Tier 1.

reladith
Newly Registered

Post by reladith » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Thats conclusive and set in stone as far as i am concerned. You must get a master level entry. Its there in black an white...
Get cracking lads....

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 pm

reladith wrote:Thats conclusive and set in stone as far as i am concerned. You must get a master level entry. Its there in black an white...
Get cracking lads....
please tell me any single university in the whole world, that provided masters in 5 months because thats what i have left for my renewal.. :evil:

hsmpOct2007
Newly Registered

nothing to worry about for HSMP as well....

Post by hsmpOct2007 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:41 pm

guys,

Im being quite optimistic here, I dont think there is any need for concern for HSMP holders.

If you read the guidance section or on the UKBA site its clear that HSMP holders at the time of expiry of their visa will seek "extension" , so please do not confuse it with a new application.
But this is just me, Im sure the confirmation will come from the HO soon enough.

Pasting below what's there on the UKBA site under "Applying for extension section"

Can you apply to extend your stay?

[quote]You can apply to extend your stay if you are:

* already in the United Kingdom under the highly skilled worker category and want to extend your permission to stay within your existing category; or
* already in the United Kingdom under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, want to extend your permission to stay and are eligible to switch into the highly skilled worker category.

If you have not previously been given permission to stay in either of these categories, you should read the section on initial applications.[/quote]

nionlight
Member of Standing

Re: nothing to worry about for HSMP as well....

Post by nionlight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:47 pm

"Migrants applying for their first period of leave under Tier 1 (General) will receive no points for Bachelors degrees or for previous earnings of less than £20,000. This change will not affect migrants who already have leave under Tier 1 and are seeking an extension of that leave."

this is very very tricky. any lawyer would agree, there is possibility to play trick in this statement. what is the visa we hold in our passport? HSMP not tier 1. doesnt matter its extension or what not. we hold HSMP visa not tier one. but anoucement is clealry saying about Tier 1. i am also optimistic. but since we have bitter experience with HO as they already made retrospective changes before december 2006, so they can do this time. have to wait for getting clear indication from HO.