ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visa to Tier 1... V V important query

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mbasmart

Student visa to Tier 1... V V important query

Post by mbasmart » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:21 am

I am currently in the UK on a student visa. My visa expired on January 31, 2009 and I’ve currently sent my passport to the home office for student visa extension. Some months ago, I had applied for HSMP which has now been approved and the approval letter states that I have six months to switch my status from student visa to Tier1 (General). But the problem is that my passport is in the home office and I don’t know how long is it going to take to get it back. My question is:

‘While my passport is in the home office for student visa extension, can I file an application to get Tier 1 (General) stamped on my passport? Can I transfer my passport from student visa extension department to Tier 1 department? Or shall I have to wait until I get my passport back from the Home Office and then apply to get Tier1 stamped on my passport?’.

I have maintained the maintenance funds for three months. I dont wanna make any mistake or take any risks at this stage, therefore, your guidance is requested urgently. Please help...

Thanks

mbasmart

Re: Student visa to Tier 1... V V important query

Post by mbasmart » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:35 am

Please note that when I applied for Student Visa Extension, I had already got approval for Tier1 General. But since I did'nt have maintenance funds, I did'nt send my application for Tier1 stamping. Instead, I decided to get student extension first...

Seniors are particularly requested to help, please...

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Post by T_mahmood » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:18 pm

If I were in your shoes, I would get student visa stamped. Because;

1. In worst case scenario, if I am unable to get Tier 1 visa, my student visa remains intact.

2. I have already paid the visa fee for student visa.

3. I have still enough time to apply for Tier1 visa (six months).

Hope this helps.
Thinking low is crime....

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks for your help T_mahmood.

The thing is that two and a half months have already passed since my approval and only three and a half months are left behind. My biometrics appointment is on 17th of April, 2009 (which means that another month would've passed and I'll be left with just 1.5 months). Student visa extensions are taking QUITE LONG these days. That's the reason I am worried and want to transfer my application from student extension deptt to tier1 deptt (if thats technically possible)...

And as far as visa fee is concerned, thats no problem. I am prepared to pay any extra fee for tier 1 stamping...

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Post by T_mahmood » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 pm

You can apply Tier 1 visa even before 2 days left of your six months time limit. I dont think that once your Biometrics are taken, you have long time then. Altenativly just 2 weeks before of your tier1 approval letter dead line and still you haven't got your passport back, request for urgent treatment and I am sure you would get your passport back.

mbasmart wrote:Thanks for your help T_mahmood.

The thing is that two and a half months have already passed since my approval and only three and a half months are left behind. My biometrics appointment is on 17th of April, 2009 (which means that another month would've passed and I'll be left with just 1.5 months). Student visa extensions are taking QUITE LONG these days. That's the reason I am worried and want to transfer my application from student extension deptt to tier1 deptt (if thats technically possible)...
Thinking low is crime....

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 pm

Very appropriate advice. Highly appreciate that...

Thanks a lot