ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partners visa with new partner & divorce EU sp

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

irakra

Unmarried partners visa with new partner & divorce EU sp

Post by irakra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi everybody,

I have a question if anyone knows, if that could work out. I just divorced my official EU husband (I hold 5 year residence card) but infact I lived together with another person for 2 years, my ex was in the UK all this time. (officially we were married for over 3 years) I want to avoid this 13 months waiting of retention of my RC, plus they might ask for ex's passport and so on.

what if I apply for 2 year unmarried partners visa on the grounds of a relationship akin to marriage with my British boyfriend? Would HO refuse? Do you think they might say I need to qualify for my retention of rights otherwise I can't stay here legally and hence can't apply?

Please share your views.
thank you

shandave2001

Post by shandave2001 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Until decree absolute is granted (if it hasn't been so far), u have right to stay under your existing 5 years card. So legally you are entitled to applly under your relationship with your current British partner based on your 2 years' contoinue cohabitation (with evidence).

It seems divorce to your ex is initiated after 3 years of the marriage, so entitled you to apply for PR (again requirement of evidence marriage subsisted for 3 years).

The route under 2 years' cohabitation with British citizen is more efficient as one get indefinite/PR after 2 years rather than long 5 years under EU route, and that is the biggest advantage of it. However, under British route, you have to fufill accomodation, financial requirements etc.

I personally don't see any problem but lets see other comments.

irakra

Post by irakra » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi!!!

We contacted HO, and they said I could apply on the grounds of 2 years cohabitation with my British boyfriend. We satisfy all criteria of finance and accomodation. As well we have proof of living together.BUT!! They said it's totally discretion of a senior caseworker as I violated EU law by living with my boyfriend not official husband. This is what they said!!! What about the law that if couple sepatate you can live as long as your spouse is in the UK excercising treaty rights? they could easily reject me on these grounds. Another route is to go back to my country and apply for fionce visa, but they could reject me on the same grounds.

Quite complicated. I thought maybe I shouldn't do anything at all? Just wait till my RC expires in three years. then apply for PR on EEA 4 form??

Please share your views.
thanks

shandave2001

Post by shandave2001 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:13 am

Hello

Have you got decree absolute? The relevant rule says marriage must subsist at least for three years and one year must be in the UK. The ECJ has clarified that the cpouple doesn't have to live under the same roof to prove their relationship. However, from your above posts, it seems, although the divorce was intiated after 3 years of marriage and your x-husband was in UK exercising his treaty rights BUT before the completion of 3 years, u left your husband and went to live with another man (i m not critcising). This means your relationship with ur husband broken down PERMANENTLY before the (needed) 3 years period was completed (unless u can convince a liberal judge that cohabiting with another man doesn't break your relatioship with ur husband). Situation would have different if you have not cohabited with another man and just lived separately from ur husband. In that case you would have right to apply for Retention of Right under EU law.

Now the problem is your claim of cohabitation under British law and claim of Retention of Right under EU are conflicting with each other, as 2 years cohabitation period negate the required post marriage 3 years period needed under EU law.

The problem is visa based on marriage/cohabitaion is dependent on one's partner, regardless it is British route or EU. As soon as relationship end permanently, visa dependent become liable to be removed, until s/he is able to use retntion right. If you apply based on cohabitation, maximum HO can do is to ask you to go back to your country by saying u have no leave to live in UK and apply from there, BUT they can ask you to go back only if you have not STRONG TIES to this country (as House of Lords judgement in a case last year). However, if you get married in the UK then the issue of cohabitation period is wiped away.

By the way, the visa you will get based on cohabitation will still be dependent on your partner. This will be 2 years (probationary) visa and can end if your relatioship break down permanently before completion of 2 years.

In regard to if you apply for Rights of Retention under EU route, I don't know how many and which sort of evidence you have to prove that relation with your x-husband lasted at least 3 years before divorce was initiated.

In regard to HO office asks ex's passport to apply for retention rights under EU law, well I didn't find any legal basis of this. All what needed is Judicail Review. What will happen HO will back down (as they usually do on such issues) or the Hight Court Judge will be staring at treasury solicitor to find out where was the legal or common sense bases to ask ex's passport.

irakra

Hi

Post by irakra » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Thank you very much for your advice.
I will think about something.

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 pm

hello again, did you apply for an unmarried partners visa then? thanks.