ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I divorce and stop living with my Student Dependant Wife

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hackerman
Newly Registered

Can I divorce and stop living with my Student Dependant Wife

Post by hackerman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:52 am

Hello,

I am a full time PhD student. My partner and her child got student dependant visas for four years. She came first time last October 2008 into UK with the child. However, she has been leaving and travelling back to her country without getting stability here. So, I got tired of that and I asked her to break up. Last Monday she came back after leaving me, she left her son in her country but I already decided not to stay any more.

The situation is that she is pushing me now to stay with her and allow her to remain at the flat that I pay alone. She says that I'm obligated to do so, since she is my dependant. The fact is I can't sustain more months this situation and I do not want to stay with her.

I want to know which are my responsibilities for their legal permanence in UK? According to my country (Colombia), we can just separate and break responsibilities by stop leaving together. There would be remaining obligations in case of common children but we don't have any.

How can clean up my records at the UK Border Agency in order to be without dependants?

I have my natural Son, who I want to bring with me later and I do not want to appear registered with additional burdens from now on.

** But the most important thing, Can I agree to release my flat with the landlord and stop living with her?

Please answer to me I do not want to get in troubles with this woman threatening me with legal problems or police actions.

Thanks a lot!!

Kind regards,

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Re: Can I divorce and stop living with my Student Dependant

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:08 am

hackerman wrote:
How can clean up my records at the UK Border Agency in order to be without dependants?

** But the most important thing, Can I agree to release my flat with the landlord and stop living with her?

Write to UKBA, and to the Embassy which issued their visas, and say that your relationship has broken down and you no longer wish to sponsor them as your dependants.

Stop living with her sounds like a good idea, but it's not clear from what you say whether you want to give up (release) the flat and move somewhere else, or negotiate a new lease excluding her (re-lease?).

angiebull
Newly Registered

Post by angiebull » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:33 pm

I know of someone (person A) who was in the same situation and this is basically what happens. Person A, wrote to UKBA and mentioned that the marriage had broken down and hence the desire to break the dependancy link. Person A then told the lady she had 2 options, one is to accept air ticket and head back home or remain in Uk illegally and also vacate the house they were sharing. The lady eventually saw the light and returned and person A has since managed to bring other people into the UK....so yours shouldnt be a problem. You just need to stand your ground and write to the UKBA and the ask the lady to leave your flat! I see no trouble in getting your natural son here at a later date

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:12 pm

I second Mr Rusty's advice. You have absolutely no obligation to support this individual. Where's her son's father in all this?

Write to the Home Office and break free of this parasite before she affects your own studies and future. God knows it's not getting any easier here.

Anyway with all these absences are you sure she's not playing away?
Oh, the drama...!

hackerman
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot for your replays and attention

Post by hackerman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:00 am

I tried last Christmas to bring my son but I got denied for his visa application. Of course because I am in charge of to dependants here who do not appreciate how difficult is to come to UK. The father of the child does not care at all this issues, since my partner divorced him and he signed the docs to go away.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am

I meant to add that you could have difficulty getting your son over if someone else (particularly another relative) has been looking after him.

But it sounds like you've already been hit by the "sole responsibility" rule.

You might not be able to do it without a custody order.
Oh, the drama...!

hackerman
Newly Registered

I'm runing crazy with this woman

Post by hackerman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:31 pm

Please, I understood everything about the notification to the homeoffice and the embassy. However, I don't know if I can break any link right now. She is blackmailing me to pay the rent and not to leave the house. The landlord doesn't mind if I don't pay since he will retain my deposit.

Can I just disappear without "LEGAL" problems?

Thanks a lot

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Your partner/wife's immigration status is entirely dependent on her relationship with you.

Once that is no longer subsisting in the eyes of the Home Office, she loses the right to remain in the UK as your dependant partner; where she lives and how it is paid for will be her own affair.

She would very likely have to leave the UK and re-apply independently of you or face becoming an overstayer.

You seem to be a bit heckled - does your partner have something else over you that you are not saying?

If she doesn't then I'd say the answer to your question is yes.
Oh, the drama...!

hackerman
Newly Registered

Re: Can I divorce and stop living with my Student Dependant

Post by hackerman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 pm

YOU CAN 1000 PER CENT AND YOU ALREADY ARE
YOUR STUDENT DEPENDANT WIFE

sveika
Newly Registered

Post by sveika » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 pm

are u sharing computer?