ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nanny from home country

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

newtux
Newly Registered

Nanny from home country

Post by newtux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:10 am

I have two children who were born in London since I came under the HSMP. My wife and I work and because of that we have been making local arrangements with nannies until now.

However, we would really like to have a nanny brought from my wife's country (Philippines). It's getting to the time the babies start talking, and we want them to both learn the language (Tagalogue) and be culturally connected to their roots. Besides, the person we want to bring has been working for my wife's family for years.

Does anybody have experience with this case? How can I apply for a work visa for this person under my HSMP? What are the steps and complications (if there are any)? Really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Raji_karmlaw

Post by Raji_karmlaw » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:35 am

Hi,
I am not sure u can bring her on a HSMP, but there is a different category of visa called Domestic Worker visa. she should qualify for that.
Immigration law is mystery and a mastery in obfuscation, and the lawyers who can figure that out are worth their weight in gold.

newtux
Newly Registered

Post by newtux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:57 am

Thanks Raji_karmlaw! I saw in the information about domestic worker in the Home Office.

But it is not clear when it says "contract or main terms of of employment". Does anybody know hoe this should be in the UK? Should it include salary? What about income taxes and NHS for domestic workers? Thanks.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Newtux,

The domestic worker category operates as a concession outside the immigration rules. IMHO I see no evidence of such being applicable to you not least because there is no historic direct employment by you or your spouse (not family members) of the said person in the applicable capacity to include formal contractual documentation.

newtux
Newly Registered

Post by newtux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Kayalami,

It says in:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 1068341#Q1

"You have been working as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer for at least one year immediately before your application, or you have been working in a household that your employer uses regularly for themselves for at least one year immediately before your application, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer."

This is the case of the person we want to bring. She works in our house in the Philippines for years. Therefore, I would think the criteria does apply to my case. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Raji_karmlaw

Post by Raji_karmlaw » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Hi,
I'm pretty sure ur person will qualify, if u can establish proper documentation and ODW withstands the grilling interview by the visa officer.
Immigration law is mystery and a mastery in obfuscation, and the lawyers who can figure that out are worth their weight in gold.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:58 pm

newtux wrote:Kayalami,

It says in:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 1068341#Q1

"You have been working as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer for at least one year immediately before your application, or you have been working in a household that your employer uses regularly for themselves for at least one year immediately before your application, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer."

This is the case of the person we want to bring. She works in our house in the Philippines for years. Therefore, I would think the criteria does apply to my case. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
1. In what way is the second condition met pursuant to you and your spouse residing in the UK since Aug 2002 as per your other topic on your child (I'm assuming your spouse has been here too for this period)?
2. What is your definition of 'employer uses regularly for themselves'?

Sorry my statement about this being a non starter holds true even more so now with your stated in UK timelines.

newtux
Newly Registered

Post by newtux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:20 pm

Because we keept our house there, and go there very regurlarly for holiday. And the person is our employee there.

Is there excluded the possibility that a person who lives in one country can have a life in another country as well, with house and everything?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 pm

Are you able to provide dates and duration of all visits such that the matter of regularity can be ascertained? Taking into acount flight restrictions pertaining to pregnancy restricting travel etc I remain to be convinced but then again I'm not the visa officer. He/she may have a different opinion.

newtux
Newly Registered

Post by newtux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:46 pm

Appreciate, thanks!

jk_kiran
Newly Registered

Post by jk_kiran » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi... My name is Kiran. My daughter who is 11 months old is in India for the past 10 months.

During these days, nanny was taking care of her in India full time staying in my in-laws house.

During these 11 months, my wife and myself are in UK. Now we are planning to bring baby to UK. We are planning to bring nanny also with my daughter.

Like to know what form we need to fill-in for domestic worker visa and what documents we need to submit for visa processing.

Thanks in advance.