ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How wise is to apply for British Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Titanic999

How wise is to apply for British Passport

Post by Titanic999 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi,

I'm an Indian, spouse of BC, an ILR holder at the moment.
I'm thinking whether to apply for BC or not.
I'm bit worried that there are agricultural lands on my name in India.
What would happen to these lands already on my name once I become BC?? Is anyone there who is in similar situation??
How far this is true:There is a workaround that we can buy agricultural lands on our mum/dad's name so that we have right on ancesteral properties though we are British ppt holders.

As I know, once anyone after becoming BC, they will have to surrender Indian passport and become OCI. Upon becoming OCI, you would not have right to vote and buy any agricultural land in India.
Can we just hold Naturalization certificate and abstain from applying for a BC.If so, how long would I be allowed to do so.

Pls. share your expert views.

Regards,
T

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Titanic,
If you choice to become a BC, and have property outside of the UK you will also then have a UK tax liability to consider.
The Taxman veiws your tax as global assists.
So bear is in mind.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Are you allowed in India to have dual nationality? If not, then you could stay as Indian national, if you want to go back to India in the future and have properties.

Titanic999

Post by Titanic999 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks Siggi.

I'm not sure of tax liabilities for the assets we have in India if we are british.
Can you pls. elaborate or point me some website/link so that I shall gothru that and it will be beneficial for the people who are on the same boat as me.

Yes parvus1202, India allows dual citizenship with two restrictions:
The ppl will be called as OCI(Oversies Citizen of India)
restrictions:
1. They cannot participate in voting.
2.Cannot buy agricultural lands.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Titanic,
You really need to take this up with your accountant or the HMR, but you will be liable for any income derived from any where in the world.IE rents from property or businesses.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Titanic999 wrote:Thanks Siggi.

I'm not sure of tax liabilities for the assets we have in India if we are british.
Can you pls. elaborate or point me some website/link so that I shall gothru that and it will be beneficial for the people who are on the same boat as me.

Yes parvus1202, India allows dual citizenship with two restrictions:
The ppl will be called as OCI(Oversies Citizen of India)
restrictions:
1. They cannot participate in voting.
2.Cannot buy agricultural lands.

What? How can you be a citizen if they remove your main rights? Maybe you should be a BC. They might enact a law in the future that OCI will have the same rights as local citizens. Maybe. Who knows.

Britain will tax you even if you don't live in the UK? That would be double taxing then. Because you are already being taxed by the country where presently work and live and the British government. Ask a good tax man about this.