ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit route to Naturalisation - France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jeepers
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit route to Naturalisation - France

Post by jeepers » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

From all the great info on this site it is quick to learn about EU Treaty rights and that the spouse of an EU national may obtain a FP (or equivalent) in a member state, and automatic permanent residency after five years. There is not so much detail on naturalisation, some for various countries (it seems UK and Ireland are immediately after taking permanent residency) but is this a state-by-state decision?

Anyway my question, if anyone knows with certainty, is what this is with France? I'm wondering how long after my wife automatically becomes a permanent resident of France (after the 5 yrs) can we apply for her french citizenship? Any official links would be really useful, or just ones that reference requirements etc.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: EEA Family Permit route to Naturalisation - France

Post by 86ti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:52 pm

jeepers wrote:There is not so much detail on naturalisation, some for various countries (it seems UK and Ireland are immediately after taking permanent residency) but is this a state-by-state decision?
Yes, it is.

BTW, in the UK you need to be free of immigration control restrictions for at least one year before you can apply, i.e. PR + 1year. That are the regulations at the moment...

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: EEA Family Permit route to Naturalisation - France

Post by Plum70 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:35 pm

86ti wrote: BTW, in the UK you need to be free of immigration control restrictions for at least one year before you can apply, i.e. PR + 1year. That are the regulations at the moment...
Unless of course the EEA national naturalises as British before their non-EEA partner, in which case, once the non-EEA partner attains PR they can immediately apply to naturalise (under current rules) forfeiting the 1 year waiting period.

jeepers
Newly Registered

Post by jeepers » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:14 pm

thank you. anyone know the specifics for residing in france and naturalisation there?

isceon

Post by isceon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:16 pm

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F158 ... 0&l=N15828

Naturalisation : principes et bénéficiaires

Principe

La naturalisation est un mode d'acquisition de la nationalité française.

Elle s'opère par décret.

Contrairement à la déclaration, ce n'est pas un droit.

Elle est soumise à la décision discrétionnaire de l'administration, qui peut la refuser, même si les conditions sont réunies.

Bénéficiaires

Le demandeur doit être majeur.

Toutefois, la naturalisation peut être accordée à l'enfant mineur resté étranger, bien que l'un de ses parents soit devenu français, s'il justifie avoir résidé avec lui en France durant les 5 années précédant le dépôt de la demande.

Nécessité d'une demande

La naturalisation nécessite une demande de la personne concernée.

after 5 years continuous residence in france you can apply for naturalisation under some conditions.
It might take up to 18 month to get a decision.

most important you need to be fluent in French.

jeepers
Newly Registered

Post by jeepers » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:36 pm

isceon wrote:ce n'est pas un droit
nice and french that! anyway thank you. it's a long way off and not at the forefront of my thoughts but it's good to have some ideas for where/when/how/what beforehand (rather than find out NO later!)