ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will USA H1B visa affect my naturalisation?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anjali_devi

Will USA H1B visa affect my naturalisation?

Post by anjali_devi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I have an USA H1B work visa and recently travelled to USA on that visa for a few weeks. I qualify for UK naturalisation now based on 1 year ILR (WP + HSMP).

Does having H1B visa and travelling on that visa cause any issues for my UK naturalisation application.

Will this disqualify me since this may show that i do not intend to make UK my home.

My H1B visa did not work out since I could not find any jobs in USA, hence I would like to continue living and working there.

Many Thanks.

anjali_devi

correction

Post by anjali_devi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 pm

<>
I could not find any jobs in USA, hence I would like to continue living and working there.

<>

Correction

<>
I could not find any jobs in USA, hence I would like to continue living and working here in UK.

<>

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Thank you all, I got an answer offline that I cannot apply for naturalisation. I will now try to move to USA. cheers and all the best.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 pm

For the benefit of the board, would you mind sharing what useful information did you find offline ?

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 pm

I was told by a friend of mine that if you posses and have used a visa for another country then they will not approve naturalisation for UK. Just glad that I did not waste any money by applying...

pencillin

Post by pencillin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 pm

How reliable is that informations? you don't just abandon the whole idea if some friend told you that, better sending an email to home office describing your issue without saying names, I don't personally think that having h1b visa means you can't get naturalisation given that you didn't exceed the amount of accepted absents from the UK.

An h1b visa is a temporary non-immigrant visa (or dual intentions).

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am

Look up the requirements for naturalisation. There is nothing about using other visas. There is however a requirement to make the UK your home and you can write a letter explaining your situation if you wish.

1963British

Make no difference

Post by 1963British » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 pm

The H1B visa is a non-immigrant visa under United States law. Further the visa is for a specific employer. The fact that you did not go further with the employment that "did not work out" means the visa is now just another expired visa in your passport.

It would be illegal for you to go to the United States on that visa, open the help wanted advertisements and apply for jobs. You would simply be another "illegal" in the eyes of the USA.

Ergo, the fact that you have returned to the UK and I assume resumed employment in the UK, the fact that you have a null and void visa for the United States in your passport should have no bearing on your citizenship application.

You only need to make sure that in the last days you were not outside the UK for more than 90 days.