ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student to Tier 1 (G) UK: Does it Really Take Forever???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

flygirl

Student to Tier 1 (G) UK: Does it Really Take Forever???

Post by flygirl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:42 am

I'll soon be celebrating the 9th week anniversary of sending my poor passport off to the Home Office. I'm suspecting my reasons for such an opportunity to felicitate are that I am switching from a student to Tier 1 G and have home earnings. So I've been waiting and waiting and waiting....
I'm sure my passport's getting moldy on someone's desk.

I've seen a couple of posts about delays in UK applications switching from Student to Tier 1 with even longer delays then I have.

If you are switching from Student to Tier 1, know someone who has, or just have an opinion, please put down your experiences and timelines so perhaps we can sleuth out a pattern.

And if you know someone who HAS successfully switched from Student to Tier 1 (G), do let us know so we take his/her passport, frame it and display in a museum. (You do know I'm joking, don't you?) :wink:

Application Received: Jan 14
Acknowledgment Letter: Jan 15
Feb 26 till date - Awaiting further consideration

tapindersingh
Mood:
India

Post by tapindersingh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:24 am

my friend applied for tier 1 (G) in the beginning of november and is still waiting.

He doesn't even talk about his passport anymore.

Student (finished masters degree) --> tier 1 (G)

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:59 am

tapindersingh wrote:my friend applied for tier 1 (G) in the beginning of november and is still waiting.

Sounds depressing! Thanks for the response, though, Tapindersingh.

dtjesus

Post by dtjesus » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Aha. a seperate thread for student to tier 1. good idea flygirl.

Its been 16 weeks for me. I dont even remember now what my passport looked liked. Pray to god HO have lost it and they make me a new one...just red in color :lol:

Student to Tier 1 - In UK
Application acknowledgement & payment confirmation - 25th Nov 08
Since then : under further consideration

wahmed80

Post by wahmed80 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Good thread about poor students like me. Good luck to all of you!

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:20 pm

A colleague of mine got her Tier-1 stamped last week and I am pretty sure she moved from Student to Tier-1. Will find out about timelines tomorrow and update.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

tapindersingh
Mood:
India

Post by tapindersingh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 am

flygirl wrote:
tapindersingh wrote:my friend applied for tier 1 (G) in the beginning of november and is still waiting.

Sounds depressing! Thanks for the response, though, Tapindersingh.
atleast the guy is hopeful...

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:50 am

push_hsmp wrote:A colleague of mine got her Tier-1 stamped last week and I am pretty sure she moved from Student to Tier-1. Will find out about timelines tomorrow and update.
Thanks for that, push_hsmp. Looking forward to seeing those timelines.

I looked over at the PSW pages (cuz I've started hitting my head against the wall for not applying first for a straightforward PSW), and a couple of people are having those long delays as well (waiting since November etc.), but it's seems odd and random.

I find that strange because PSW should be the easiest thing to check: Is your school genuine and do you have the maintenance - simple. And if they want to check some more, they can look up the NI to see if you worked too much. But that's it, really. So why would they also have the same issues? Can't get my head round it.

kingfahad35

Post by kingfahad35 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 am

Hi,

I applied PBS Tier 1 ( G ) ......
From Student Category To PBS Tier (G)
Inside UK application
All points claiming from UK degree+UK pay+Age+ Uk exp

Application Field : 25-02-2009
Money Taken: 26-02-2009
Ref Received: 27-02-2009
16-03-2009 Waiting application to process acording to HO website

My Std extension application used to come back with in Max 9 workingdays.............

Hoping for best having fingure crossed

How long HO is tacking now a days...inside application
Outside application from UK is beeing processed with 1-2weeks.

Any feedback will be appriciated
Tier 1 (G) to ILR

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:40 am

That's the sad thing, kingfahad 35, it takes just one to two weeks abroad. I'd just take a holiday to see folks back home and get the visa at the same time. However, there is a nightmare of something going wrong and ending up stuck in home country with angry employers here wondering why you've extended your leave!

Best of luck to you with your application. It takes a long time for some and the regular 6 weeks for others. I hope you are one of the lucky "others"!

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:43 am

kingfahad35 wrote:Hi,

How long HO is tacking now a days...inside application
Outside application from UK is beeing processed with 1-2weeks.

Any feedback will be appriciated
www.spammer.com/uk-immigration- ... plication/ is also a good website for timelines. I encourage you to enter your times on it and follow up with others who applied the same time as you.

kingfahad35

Post by kingfahad35 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 am

Re:flyg

wt abt ur application................still in process
Tier 1 (G) to ILR

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:03 am

kingfahad35 wrote:Re:flyg

wt abt ur application................still in process
As of Friday, it was still awaiting further consideration. It's been in that status for 3 weeks now. I think I'll stop calling so frequently (have been calling everyday) because it's when I call that I think about it and get bothered. When I don't call, I don't think about the application for days.

I can't add a single inch to my height by worrying, so I'm doing by best to chill out! :D

kingfahad35

Post by kingfahad35 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:25 am

Re:Flyg

Under Consideration/Further Consi/In process .........Does it mean some thing....or call-centre make these statement accoding to ur mode.........

Or does it make any difference to call HO/UKBA
Tier 1 (G) to ILR

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 am

The responses I am aware of are:

1. Awaiting consideration: Waiting to be allocated for someone to look at

2. Under consideration: Being worked on currently

3. Awaiting further consideration: Has been looked at, but they need to do some further work eg. waiting for background checks, waiting for the person who stole the application to return it, waiting for the next lunar eclipse, waiting for pigs to fly..............means anything!

kingfahad35

Post by kingfahad35 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am

1st i thought ......these stat they make themself..............

--------------I know my 2 fri's----------------
Applied for PBS Tier 1...they rang ho to chk their application status....Ho told them their application is in underconsideration....but they got their passport stamp next day............
Tier 1 (G) to ILR

kingfahad35

Post by kingfahad35 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Which number we can ring to chk our status ?
Tier 1 (G) to ILR

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:14 am

Kingfahad35

I don't think they are very accurate with updating. Sometimes they say the application is under consideration and then the visa is in the mailbox when you get home.

kingfahad35

Post by kingfahad35 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:17 am

Thx for number..........
Keep updating us
Tier 1 (G) to ILR

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:25 am

This is a nice thread, and i would like to share my experience too.

I was on a student visa when I applied for hsmp last year. After about 8 months, my case was rejected. I requested for reconsideration. In December 08, my review request was successful and my hsmp was approved. But since hsmp scheme doesnt exist anymore, my approval letter says that 'if u r in uk and are eligible to switch ur immigration status, you should now apply for extension to stay under tier 1 general'.. which means that i've got tier 1 general approval... luckily.

When i got this approval, i didnt have maintenance funds. so i immediately started working on it and now, my bank statement is ready. i've had 800 pounds for last three months.

In the meantime, my student visa expired on January 31, 2009 and I’ve currently sent my passport to the home office for student visa extension. Now the problem is that my passport is in the home office and I don’t know how long is it going to take to get it back. Now I keep thinking:

‘While my passport is in the home office for student visa extension, can I file an application to get Tier 1 (General) stamped on my passport? Can I transfer my passport from student visa extension department to Tier 1 department? Or shall I have to wait until I get my passport back from the Home Office and then apply to get Tier1 stamped on my passport?’.

Time is passing quickly. I dont wanna make any mistake or take any risks at this stage. I spoke to a lawyer who said that I can transfer my passport to tier 1 department. and my application for tier 1 might be approved. he has seen some examples like that.

some people on this forum have suggested that i should wait for my student visa extension approval. after i get it (even if i get it in the last month) i shud go for tier 1 stamping on my passport. I'll appreciate ur valuable comments about my circumstances. I am (still) extremely double minded...

Although i've got tier 1 (g) approval, but i'm still more worried than most of u guys lol... plz comment

flygirl

Post by flygirl » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:00 am

I'm not really familiar with the HSMP and its transition processes to Tier 1, so I must admit I have absolutely no idea what the "Tier 1 approval" means. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable might be able to shed some light in that regard.

However, I don't think there would be any harm in waiting for the visa to be returned before you apply for the Tier 1. That is because a fresh application may cancel out the previous one. And since your student visa has expired, you would technically be applying for a Tier 1 while you do not have legal status.

hoopsy

Student to Tier 1

Post by hoopsy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:13 pm

This is totally ridiculous! Does anyone have a clue how long this process will take? Seems we are being punished for switching from Student to Tier 1? Does it really take forever? No information, NOTHING! Application awaiting consideration since beginning of Jan 2009............. :?: :cry: Clues anyone???????????????
Good things come to those who wait.................

flygirl

Re: Student to Tier 1

Post by flygirl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:16 pm

hoopsy wrote:This is totally ridiculous! Does anyone have a clue how long this process will take? Seems we are being punished for switching from Student to Tier 1? Does it really take forever? No information, NOTHING! Application awaiting consideration since beginning of Jan 2009............. :?: :cry: Clues anyone???????????????
Well, some PSW applicants are also going through the same thing as well as a few WP to Tier 1 (G). WE can only hope all this is resolved soon.
Best of luck to you, hoopsy.

hoopsy

Post by hoopsy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Wish you the same. After all the anxiety and waiting, let's pray that we get positive feedback from HO.
Good things come to those who wait.................

dtjesus

Re: Student to Tier 1

Post by dtjesus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 pm

hoopsy wrote:This is totally ridiculous! Does anyone have a clue how long this process will take? Seems we are being punished for switching from Student to Tier 1? Does it really take forever? No information, NOTHING! Application awaiting consideration since beginning of Jan 2009............. :?: :cry: Clues anyone???????????????
I have a feeling that in the aftermath of current recession the govts interest in foreign workers obviously has changed. The reason so many student visas were given is ofcourse due to the fact that non-EU's pay a hefty sum to unis and the unis are hence very much dependent on us. In my case it was £9000. So as long as we are paying the fee and going back home afterwards there is no skin off their nose. I think that is why there is a big difference in timescales for WP-Tier 1 and Student-Tier 1. Obviously the home office sees WP-Tier 1 as already employed ppl while us Student-Tier 1 are 'new' workers to them.
Not to put the other ppl down here, but after waiting for such a long time, i am beginning to get myself ready for a rejection. Is there any preparatory work that i can do for a possible appeal?

Student to Tier 1 in UK
Acknowledgement & payment confirmation : 25th Nov 08
Status : Under further consideration (i.e mate you are well screwed)