ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU family member - Documents for schengen visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

guessaname
Newly Registered

EU family member - Documents for schengen visa

Post by guessaname » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi,

I'm an EU citizen and want to apply for schengen tourist visa for my wife who is a non-EU citizen and does not have EU fam card. She is on work permit working in ireland. Could you please tell us what kind of documents do we need to provide in the embassy of any schengen country to get schengen visa? We know that we don't have to pay the visa fee but do we need to show the evidence for hotel and flight reservation? Do we need to provide letter from the employer?

Thanks in advance
G

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: EU family member - Documents for schengen visa

Post by 86ti » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:20 pm

guessaname wrote:Could you please tell us what kind of documents do we need to provide in the embassy of any schengen country to get schengen visa?
Depends on the country.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Re: EU family member - Documents for schengen visa

Post by MAKUSA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm

[quote="guessaname"]Hi,

I'm an EU citizen and want to apply for schengen tourist visa for my wife who is a non-EU citizen and does not have EU fam card. She is on work permit working in ireland. Could you please tell us what kind of documents do we need to provide in the embassy of any schengen country to get schengen visa? We know that we don't have to pay the visa fee but do we need to show the evidence for hotel and flight reservation? Do we need to provide letter from the employer?

Thanks in advance
G[/quote

Based on my experience, you would need your EU passport/ wife´s passport, Marriage certificate and flight ticket confirmation for both of you and the visa is free. You dont need no hotel bookings, all schenghen visa application forms are all the same.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 pm

I would say even the flight reservation is not needed.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

MAKUSA
BANNED

Its for the fee exemption

Post by MAKUSA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Richard66 wrote:I would say even the flight reservation is not needed.
It is needed if you are travelling with EU spouse as proof in order to be eligible for visa fee waiver.

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Try doing what I usually do:

Go into the airline site and select the flight you want on the day you want with the full costs shown. Then print that page and take it to the embassy. Don't actually buy the ticket.

Do the same for hotel bookings with the correct dates.

Worked for Spain, Netherlands and Finland.

guessaname
Newly Registered

Post by guessaname » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks a mil. for your replies friends.

guessaname
Newly Registered

Post by guessaname » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Another quick question friends..

Will there be a visa fee if I apply for UK tourish visa for my wife?

MAKUSA
BANNED

no fee

Post by MAKUSA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 pm

guessaname wrote:Another quick question friends..

No, no fee

isceon

Re: Its for the fee exemption

Post by isceon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:25 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:
It is needed if you are travelling with EU spouse as proof in order to be eligible for visa fee waiver.
It is not acurate:
I have applied many times and travelled hundreds of times without my ex EEA spouse to france with no problem without providing flight or accomodation.
They never charged me for the shenghen visas I had (french embassy).
The shenghen visa is free for EEA family member without conditions of accompanying them.
I think if you travel with your EEA spouse and you have a RC you don t need a visa at all.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:23 am

isceon wrote:
First-Class Moron wrote:
It is not acurate:
I have applied many times and travelled hundreds of times without my ex EEA spouse to france with no problem without providing flight or accomodation.
The shenghen visa is free for EEA family member without conditions of accompanying them.
I think if you travel with your EEA spouse and you have a RC you don t need a visa at all.
when you inittially applied for a visa, what documentation did you give them?

MAKUSA
BANNED

Depends on country

Post by MAKUSA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:26 am

86ti was right by saying that it depends on country because the Dutch embassy want to see proof that you are travelling together. 110%

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:51 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:
isceon wrote:
First-Class Moron wrote:
It is not acurate:
when you inittially applied for a visa, what documentation did you give them?
Just my passport my ex passport , marriage certificate,employment letter and application form that s all.

isceon

Re: Depends on country

Post by isceon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:86ti was right by saying that it depends on country because the Dutch embassy want to see proof that you are travelling together. 110%
I think it does not make sens .Do I have to travel all the time with my spouse even with a shenghen visa????
I have never experienced this with the french or spanish .I use to travel a lot and it was just me my passport and the shenghen visa :lol:

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:11 pm

If you need a EU visa, this should be the law. However many staff who work in Embassies and issue visas, don't know the visa law.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/c ... ex_en.html

Consular officers issuing the visas may not:

* ask you to produce any documents other than a valid passport and documents attesting to your family link with a Union citizen and proof of dependence, where applicable, such as to furnish proof of means to support yourself, travel tickets, employment certificate, pay slips, bank statements, proof of accommodation, means of subsistence, medical certificate …
* ask you how much money you have to spend;
* ask you questions regarding the purpose and duration of your trip.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:11 pm

isceon wrote:
First-Class Moron wrote:86ti was right by saying that it depends on country because the Dutch embassy want to see proof that you are travelling together. 110%
I think it does not make sens .Do I have to travel all the time with my spouse even with a shenghen visa????
I have never experienced this with the french or spanish .I use to travel a lot and it was just me my passport and the shenghen visa :lol:
they only want to see proof that you are travelling together to qualify for visa fee exemption

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:16 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:
isceon wrote:
they only want to see proof that you are travelling together to qualify for visa fee exemption
Again I did not pay any fee for the visa and did travel with and without my ex.

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:20 pm

If you travel with your EEA spouse and have a RC (exercising EEA treaty)
You do not need a visa in this case normaly.Some EU countries are not implementing directive 2004 properly but it is about to change in the next 6 month.EU commission is probably gonna take some serious actions.

Infanta
Newly Registered

Post by Infanta » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:48 pm

guessaname wrote:Another quick question friends..

Just filled in an application for a UK visitors (put tourism as a purpose) visa and when submitted my application, was told the visa fee is 60 pounds despite i stated that my husband is an EU citizen??? Thought i didnt have to pay it???

guessaname
Newly Registered

Post by guessaname » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes, I think UK visitor/tourist visa is not free for EU spouses as schengen visa. As far I know EU spouses need to apply for EEA Family Permit to visit UK. The EEA Family Permit process is not so straight forward. Anybody has an experience with this?

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi all,

if you are a little adventurous - try to travel without applying for a visa :!:

>>This<< thread explains how and why you should usually be allowed to travel with 4EUFam, which can be extended by the following.

Article 5, Section 4 of 2004/38/EC reads as follows:
Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence.
Why shouldn't this work? Bring your passports, your marriage-certificate, and lots of stamina for talking in some police-office on arrival.

I assume you're travelling from Ireland? In order to make sure not to get stuck at departure, check in online with AerLingus. (I last suceeded leaving this way 6 months ago without any stoopid questions asked. I left this way as 4EUFam is not well known to checkin staff, so I guess convincing them to let you board this way is even less likely)

Should anyone attempt to do this, please let me know of the outcome.

Infanta
Newly Registered

Post by Infanta » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

ca.funke wrote:Hi all,

if you are a little adventurous - try to travel without applying for a visa :!:

>>This<< thread explains how and why you should usually be allowed to travel with 4EUFam, which can be extended by the following.

Article 5, Section 4 of 2004/38/EC reads as follows:
Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence.
Why shouldn't this work? Bring your passports, your marriage-certificate, and lots of stamina for talking in some police-office on arrival.

I assume you're travelling from Ireland? In order to make sure not to get stuck at departure, check in online with AerLingus. (I last suceeded leaving this way 6 months ago without any stoopid questions asked. I left this way as 4EUFam is not well known to checkin staff, so I guess convincing them to let you board this way is even less likely)

Should anyone attempt to do this, please let me know of the outcome.
We have done it many times when traveling to Spain from Ireland, only once the girl that was checking the passports entering the plane wondered whether i needed a visa, i just said that normally i do but not when i travel with my husband. It was enough for her (aerlingus). But Ryanair gave us a lot of grief over it, but at the end, let us in.
We tried the same thing with the UK, going from Spain (Spanish officers by the way are ok this way and we just show both passports and a marriage cert and they let us in and out no prob), but we wouldnt even be allowed to board the plane to go to the UK, we had to book the same day flight to go from UK to Ireland for me so i qualified then as a transit passanger and was let in. My nationalily allowes me 24 hours transit without visa (and then we really stayed longer).
Now trying to apply for a UK visitors visa and really surprised that they want to charge us? Does the EU law not work there? Why should i pay for it?