ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First British passport application without foreign passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FKarim

First British passport application without foreign passport

Post by FKarim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

I have recently been naturalised as a British citizen and applied for a British passport. I was not able to send my foreign passport with the application because it is at an embassy to get a visa stamped on it. In theory my naturalisation certificate should be enough to prove eligibility for a British passport because all the relevant checks would have been done when I was granted ILR and then citizenship.

I asked the passport adviceline and they put me through to a "nationality expert" who suggested it should be OK if I mentioned the passport details and reason for its unavailability in section 3 of the form and I would still be able to use the Post Office check and send service. I also stated the date/time of when I was given this advice by IPS nationality expert on a separate sheet as apparently they log people's calls with names/postcodes etc.

However the PO girl didn't agree after talking to her helpline who told her she can't accept it over the counter but since I have been advised by IPS that it will be OK I can apply by sending the application directly if I wanted to.

I decided to go for it and sent it by special delivery but now worrying whether I did the right thing or will I lose the money (and parted with my naturalisation certificate needlessly).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get first passport without including foreign passport in the application (lost/stolen cases excluded)?

Thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:55 pm

What they need is a piece of photo ID and the naturalisation certificate certainly isn't that.

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Yes I thought of sending my driving license but the nationality expert I spoke to said there was no need as there will be an identity interview anyway, me being a first time adult applicant.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:45 pm

They need the passport where your ILR was stamped. I sent a passport without the ILR and they ask me to send the old one with ILR on it.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Hang on I throught they only need the passport that you entered the UK on and that it's nessary to see the one with your ILR stamp??

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Siggi wrote:Hang on I throught they only need the passport that you entered the UK on and that it's nessary to see the one with your ILR stamp??
Why do they need it at all??

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Who knows??

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Siggi wrote:Who knows??
Just checking. thats what I thought

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:13 am

Why do they need it at all??
Doesn't make any sense to ask for it as passport, residence and eligibility for citizenship are all checked at naturalisation (I hope).

First time applicants who were born here and have never held another passport only submit their birth, registration or naturalisation certificate and is enough for them.

People whose old passport(s) are lost or stolen obviously can't submit any either but can still get a British passport.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 am

For them everything make sense. If you have it, then send it, if you lost it then say you lost it.

marooned
Newly Registered

Post by marooned » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm

parvus1202 wrote:They need the passport where your ILR was stamped. I sent a passport without the ILR and they ask me to send the old one with ILR on it.
not true, I sent my Canadian passport in with my application, ILR is in my previous (ie, cancelled) passport and at no point did they ever ask for that previous passport with the ILR in it. the latest entry stamp on the new passport just has 'VIPP' scrawled above it. got my British passport this past Monday.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 am

Well now I'm really confussed, I was told you need to send your passport in with which you entered the UK and not the one with ILR.
So I intend to send my cancelled first passport in with my application.
Fingers crossed that will do.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:38 am

I have now just checked this all out in the Booklet that comes with your passport apllication form:Page 17

Table of supporting documents for first passport:

If you are a British national after getting a HO certificate of registeration or naturalisation:

The passport you entered the UK with and your HO cert. of Registration or Naturalisation

No mention of ILR

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:03 am

not true, I sent my Canadian passport in with my application, ILR is in my previous (ie, cancelled) passport and at no point did they ever ask for that previous passport with the ILR in it. the latest entry stamp on the new passport just has 'VIPP' scrawled above it. got my British passport this past Monday.
I guess there is no set rule then. So if you have your passports, it is best to send them all to be safe. If you don't at present but can wait until you get it back then wait to avoid any stress. I don't have mine currently and applied without it (could have easily waited but didn't want to). Was advised by (now two different people at) the passport adviceline that they will issue a passport unless some additional enquiries need to be made, in which case they will ask for it but the application will not be simply rejected. I will then send it when I can.

Will post the outcome here.

marooned
Newly Registered

Post by marooned » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:29 am

Siggi wrote: The passport you entered the UK with and your HO cert. of Registration or Naturalisation

No mention of ILR
exactly - that's the key phrase there, they want to see the passport you last used to enter the UK.

I suppose however there could be a situation where your current valid foreign passport is actually not the last one you used for entry if you've renewed it from within the UK. it's possible they're just looking for the stamp, not the visa, and thus in that case would need to see your "previous" passport.

FKarim

Update

Post by FKarim » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Got a call from IPS this morning. She asked if I was likely to get my passport back within a couple of days. I told her it would be a couple of weeks. She didn't think it was a problem but wanted to confirm with her manager if it was OK to process. She said she would call me back if was unable to proceed. Didn't get any call for the rest of the day. They might still call me next week and put the application on hold until I can send my passport but one thing is clear that it is not absolutely necessary and they can use discretion even without extreme circumstances.

republique
BANNED

Re: Update

Post by republique » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 pm

FKarim wrote:Got a call from IPS this morning. She asked if I was likely to get my passport back within a couple of days. I told her it would be a couple of weeks. She didn't think it was a problem but wanted to confirm with her manager if it was OK to process. She said she would call me back if was unable to proceed. Didn't get any call for the rest of the day. They might still call me next week and put the application on hold until I can send my passport but one thing is clear that it is not absolutely necessary and they can use discretion even without extreme circumstances.
Well that was fast

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 am

Had been busy so couldn't update this thread. They processed my application upto a certain stage but eventually needed to see my foreign passport. I sent it to them on the 24th, the day I received it from where it was (luckily much earlier than expected). I got it back on the 27th and although I hadn't received the letter by then, I phoned them to get the reference number and booked the interview for 30th. Received the interview letter on the 28th. Had the interview this morning and by looking at a different thread, I expect to receive the passport on Wednesday onwards. Hopefully should be just in time for my trip early next week.